5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talk me out of getting a Cummins

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is provided this new version of the ecodiesel is hopefully better than the last few versions and doesn't have the ECU bricking or emissions issues, oil starvation issues, cam slippage or any of the other various plagues the ecodiesels or other FCA diesels have had. It really seems like random chance to get a good one or a bad one, not so much how well or not they were taken care of. If anything the ones that seem to have been beat on and run hard seem to do the best.

I did months of reading up on the Ecodiesels. Mine is going to get 25k+ miles a year put on it, with about 3k a year towing the camper. I’m hoping that the amount of use it gets will keep it cleaned out.

NoCumminsYesHemi

Reaction score
I'm going the other way, trading a 2500 Cummins for a Hemi Rebel. The diesel will excell when hooked up to a heavy load, its a pain in the *** otherwise. HEAVY. Sucks offroad, ride is rough, there is just no getting around it being a big heavy lumbering truck. Since we sold our 17Klb 5th wheel, I hate daily driving the Cummins. Plus, all the emissions stuff has this engine choked up. Diesel parts are EXPENSIVE!

So yea, I say if you need a HD diesel, the cummins is perfect. If not, its a pain in the ***. But its your $ :)

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind the 2500 and up are all still based on the 4th gen body and are a bit smaller and lag behind in some features like the lighting and such that was discussed. They also ride much harsher. A lot of the loaded up 1500s like a longhorn are better than luxury cars for ride quality. The best loaded 2500 won't come close, it'll still ride like crap and be stiff.

By all means though if you NEED the HD to tow or payload, then get the 2500, or even step up to a SRW 3500. The HO Cummins with the AISIN transmissions are fantastic and far far far better the the crapbox 68rfe that comes on the regular cummins models.
"They also ride much harsher"

I have two friends with Ram 2500s and I have to say I'm always surprised how well they ride when I'm in them. Not saying they ride like a 1500, but I've also been in Gm and Ford 3/4 tons and there's no comparison in my opinion.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038603 miles.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have two friends with Ram 2500s and I have to say I'm always surprised how well they ride when I'm in them. Not saying they ride like a 1500, but I've also been in Gm and Ford 3/4 tons and there's no comparison in my opinion.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038603 miles.
2500s and 3500s ride like a fully loaded( cargo/towing ) non air 1500. there's no comparison to a air suspension 1500. Even a top of the line GM Denali sucks compared, still uses leafs in the rear. HD's also dont come in shortbeds, so they turn like boats and handle about as well too. They are heavy in turns, they are heavy all the time.

they do ride better than any leaf spring vehicle. My 2011 Ford E450 based RV rides like total crap. it's the end of the world in it on the slightest washboard or bumpiness. In an air 1500 longhorn you can't even feel anything at any speed unless you go very very slow and crawl.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2500s and 3500s ride like a fully loaded( cargo/towing ) non air 1500. there's no comparison to a air suspension 1500. Even a top of the line GM Denali sucks compared, still uses leafs in the rear.

Ride is subjective. I love the ride of my 2020 Limited 1500 with air, versus the 2014 Longhorn 1500 I traded in (non-air). Even before I put LT tires and Fox 2.0 shocks on the 2014, the ride was still not as nice as my 2020.

However, I've read others not liking the air ride as much. Some people want all trucks to ride like the old school trucks, super stiff and bouncy, and the non-air ride is a bit closer to that. To each their own.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As the title states... I've had my 2019 Rebel for almost a year and I love it, and i had a 4th gen 1500 for about 50K miles and really enjoyed that too, but I've always wanted a cummins, specifically one with the G56 manual. So i found a really mint 2018 low mileage one, its a tradesman crew cab short box 4x4. I really dont care about the bells & whistles and i can always upgrade things in time. Looking to hear opinions from anyone who can compare the HD diesel to the 1500 hemi more so from a daily drivers perspective. I honestly don't use my truck other than for hunting, hauling my kayaks/small row boat for the lake, and i use it for 4x4 getting to remote places. I never pushed the limits of my 1500, so i definitely dont NEED a diesel. I like the increase mpgs, and i'd try to delete it but i know thats getting tougher to do. Im not expecting the fuel savings of a diesel to ever outweigh the maintenance costs/etc. I look at diesels more for their performance capabilities/fun factor, the same way some people buy sports cars. I guess im different than most and see more of an appeal to performance trucks lol
My trade value for my rebel is currently a $1-2 grand than what i paid for it according to KBB, and this cummins is basically the same price, maybe even lower depending on negotiating

I have a Ram 1500 rebel, I had it custom ordered to me - door sticker even has my name on it.
It has every option I wanted, none I didn't. The Rebel is basically the perfect truck for me, lifestyle and budget wise. I love the thing, I never plan on selling it.

With that said, I think you should do it.
"but I've always wanted a cummins, specifically one with the G56 manual. "
There is nothing like scratching that itch. Nothing.
Me? I always wanted a V8, and always loved the Hemi.
I have both in my factory luxury offroader.

Nobody really "needs" a raptor, or a lifestyle vehicle. YOUR holy grail is affordable to you, and it's got good virtues.
If you "hate" it? Or you scratch the itch and find out in a few years it's not for you?
I'm thinking there would be takers for a manual diesel. It's a small market with a loyal following.

By the time (worst case scenario) you get sick of it, IF you ever do? the next gen Ram HDs might be out.
Maybe it will have a 7.0L Cummins in it.
Doesn't have to be forever.
You're moving laterally on price, from a vehicle you liked to one you always wanted that fell into your lap.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About 6minutes in, that braking sounds like a B-17 squadron flying by :ROFLMAO:

OP I think you should do it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2 things I miss about my Cummins. Exhaust brake and 24 Mpg.

Nothing else.

If I could get the 6.4l with the G56...i would never ever look at another Cummins...but I have been secretly looking for a 2013 or newer with G56.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let me be more specific lol. 2013 and newer 2500

Or a 2010 and newer 3500.

I want a Regular Cab...but the Mega Cab may be an option.

My other secret search is a 2003 with a V10 and 6 speed. But I already habe a 2003 Hemi and a 1999 V10 5 speed...so to go with the flow...i guess the next one should be a Cummins...or maybe a G56 swap of my 4th Gen and see what the true 5th Gen HD brings to the table lol.

Since we are talking each other out of or into our dream trucks.

1979 Plymouth Trailduster 440 4 speed 4x4 4.10 gears.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All great points guys, thanks for chiming in. It’s really cool talking about the trucks we dream of owning and why we do/don’t have them and why we drive what we do today. In 1500 form, my current truck is certainly my dream truck in its class. I love everything I’ve done to it too with everyone’s help and ideas from this forum. It’s grown to become “mine” and I’ve learned so much about it in the almost year I’ve had it.
With that said, I’m going to continue enjoying my truck as my “1500 dream truck”, but still keep an eye out for the perfect 4th gen manual. It’ll be sort of my secret search like devildodge haha. Unfortunately the original ad I found that started this thread turned out to be listed incorrectly... but they do come up often enough and at the end of the day they were mass produced vehicles at one point. If I find one, I don’t think there will be much hesitation in getting it. Thanks again everyone and feel free to keep the discussion going and giving your perspective/experiences with diesels and/or your dream trucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will leave these here

Downytide

Reaction score
What is this, G56 week?

Just do it man, I've been on the hunt for the right G56 Cummins for past 2 years, I regret I didn't buy one of the last few in Canada back in 2018.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is this, G56 week?

Just do it man, I've been on the hunt for the right G56 Cummins for past 2 years, I regret I didn't buy one of the last few in Canada back in 2018.
I unfortunately have the same regret.... still looking! i found this G56 today (listed incorrectly), really close to where i live. That's a lot of money for a 14 year old truck tho :ROFLMAO:

Downytide

Reaction score
I unfortunately have the same regret.... still looking! i found this G56 today (listed incorrectly), really close to where i live. That's a lot of money for a 14 year old truck tho :ROFLMAO:

Aim for a 2014+, a lot of stamping in body was updated in 2014+ so they tend to last longer and slightly thicker, the prices seems slightly on the high side but it's a seller's market when comes to G56 vehicles, if to make you feel better, when I started looking to get a truck, which was beginning of 2019, there was a 2018 2500 Laramie with G56, has pretty much all the option, the dealer originally ordered as they thought people would buy these last of year thing, but it seems most wanted the 3500 with Aisin, so this sat, MSRP was 89k CAD, with discount it was 62k CAD, I looked at it, and liked it, but couldn't say no to the new interior.

Then when I was picking up the truck, they said, now it's 52k CAD, or 40k USD when factored in exchange, still said no.

That, has been a vehicle related regret of mine, same as not buying my buddy's 993 before the Porsche craze took off for $15k.

Users who are viewing this thread