5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate

Ally2909

Reaction score
Just picked up our new 2021 laramie last week. Very excited. However have to take it in for service tomorrow. Tail gate is to tight on passenger side. They want to take it to a body shop ( not dealer)
Has anyone had this problem ??

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Just picked up our new 2021 laramie last week. Very excited. However have to take it in for service tomorrow. Tail gate is to tight on passenger side. They want to take it to a body shop ( not dealer)
Mine is the same way. Looked at several on different lots they pretty much all looked the same. IMG_20210404_155904322_HDR.jpg IMG_20210404_155856115_HDR.jpg

Ally2909

Reaction score
What year is yours? Does it release automatically with remote?

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Never mind 2020 yours is big Horn. Mine is 2021 laramie.
I did notice all trim levels had models definitely not centered. 21 models as well. Interested to hear how you make out. Also looks like doors and other body panels don't line up very well either. All trim levels.

glasswagon

Reaction score
yes, I had that problem on my MF tailgate and dealer's bodyshop didn't have any experience with adjusting it and I was told to take it an hour away but I decided to look at it before making the drive.

There is a latch on each side of the tailgate that latches onto a rod/bolt. You can adjust the latch by loosen the two torx nut. Center the tailgate with the tailgate almost shut all the way, tailgate won't move side to side unless its almost all the way up. It takes some time to get the latches the right way so the tailgate stays center when you close it.

You can see the latch has like a ramp that centers itself on the rod/bolt.

I was able to figure this out on my own...not sure why the bodyshop couldn't

Attachments

• 20210305_182942.jpg
    20210305_182942.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210305_182930.jpg
    20210305_182930.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 69

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn with RAMBOX and MFT.
When hauling 16 foot lumber, does anyone haul the boards with the MFT down.
Or, since the truck has a MFT, is it safer to haul the lumber with the MFT up and fully closed?
Of course, the lumber will be strapped down to prevent movement regardless.
Please advise and thanks, in advance.
RBJ

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn with RAMBOX and MFT.
When hauling 16 foot lumber, does anyone haul the boards with the MFT down.
Or, since the truck has a MFT, is it safer to haul the lumber with the MFT up and fully closed?
Of course, the lumber will be strapped down to prevent movement regardless.
Please advise and thanks, in advance.
RBJ
You're flooding the forum with this question. If your concern is weight, the MFT can support up to 2000 lbs. My concern would be length of the material you are hauling.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Ally2909, were you able to get in with the dealer? If you'd like an extra layer of assistance we'd be happy to work alongside you while your vehicle is being serviced. Just send us a PM if so.

Michelle
Ram Cares

heliinstructor

Reaction score
Could any please tell me the width of the MFT when installed with Ramboxes? I need to know what size of tailgate pad to order to for my bikes. (Waiting for truck to be shipped!)

2021 Ram Rebel Diamond Black Crystal Night Edition

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could any please tell me the width of the MFT when installed with Ramboxes? I need to know what size of tailgate pad to order to for my bikes. (Waiting for truck to be shipped!)

2021 Ram Rebel Diamond Black Crystal Night Edition
I can measure the wife's tailgate when I get home from work this evening if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine (Ret.)
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yup... w/a little bit of paint scuffing on the passenger side.

20210324_192031A.jpg 20210324_192031B.jpg

yes, I had that problem on my MF tailgate and dealer's bodyshop didn't have any experience with adjusting it and I was told to take it an hour away but I decided to look at it before making the drive.

There is a latch on each side of the tailgate that latches onto a rod/bolt. You can adjust the latch by loosen the two torx nut. Center the tailgate with the tailgate almost shut all the way, tailgate won't move side to side unless its almost all the way up. It takes some time to get the latches the right way so the tailgate stays center when you close it.

You can see the latch has like a ramp that centers itself on the rod/bolt.

I was able to figure this out on my own...not sure why the bodyshop couldn't
:cool: Will definitely have to try this.

Users who are viewing this thread