5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate won’t go down

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to get to it. I disconnected the strut. There still seems to be some resistance in the drivers side hinge tho. I also hear a slight squeak on that side. I lubes it a bit with pb blaster. It’s a bit better but not fluent. Sucks that the tire throws mud and water directly at this spot. What were the designers thinking? What’s the best way to lube the hinge?
View attachment 135715
PB Blaster really isn't lubricant. It's a penetrating oil. It may actually loosen up debris and make it worse. I havent tried taking mine apart to see about lubrication. Mainly because it still operates fine.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
PB Blaster really isn't lubricant. It's a penetrating oil. It may actually loosen up debris and make it worse. I havent tried taking mine apart to see about lubrication. Mainly because it still operates fine.
I use this on tons of stuff, is that not PB Blaster?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use this on tons of stuff, is that not PB Blaster?
I guess they have different new products under the general name. When most people say PB Blaster, they are talking about the original product which is a penetrating oil.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Guess for the hinge, I'll just have to spray the crack. if not, will have to figure out how to remove the hinge. Anyone have a guide on removing?

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess for the hinge, I'll just have to spray the crack. if not, will have to figure out how to remove the hinge. Anyone have a guide on removing?
Do you want to remove the hinge or the entire tailgate?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have never needed to lube any hinges for any pickup I have owned before... Sounds like you have mud built up in there, I don't think thats normal. You should get rear wheel liners.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you want to remove the hinge or the entire tailgate?
Not sure. I assume that the tailgate needs to be removed to get the hinge out and clean whatever is in the hinge since it’s a through design.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
I'm going to guess the damper went bad. Never had a tailgate not open and drop super easily - On all older non-dampened trucks i just open and let gravity slam down with force. Only thing holding it back is the damper. My wife's explorer rear hatch opening dampers went bad and you have to manually force open and closed. Seems to be the same problem but in reverse.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That was my first thought as well, until i disconnected the damper and still felt resistance.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess the damper went bad. Never had a tailgate not open and drop super easily - On all older non-dampened trucks i just open and let gravity slam down with force. Only thing holding it back is the damper. My wife's explorer rear hatch opening dampers went bad and you have to manually force open and closed. Seems to be the same problem but in reverse.
I have had problems with the dampers not being as strong, which just results in the tailgate slamming open, not being harder to open.
Without the damper there shouldn't be anything causing resistance unless it's rubbing paint together and out of alignment.
I did need to adjust my tailgate for alignment on both sides but I have the MFT so it's quite different vs the regular tailgate.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe the resistance is in the hinge. I have been applying pd blaster and it’s much better. I only have to push it down the last couple of inches now. At first it was stuck almost straight up.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
These are 2 completely different problems.
The thing you linked IS A DAMPER, OP is having a problem because his DAMPER is "working too well".
This is for trucks without a damper, in fact it says right in the manual to NOT USE if you already have a damper as it could cause the tailgate to open open and or cause damage.

I had 1 on my Silverado as the damper that came with it was a joke and after a month it would just slam because it was just plastic.
I assume this would be something you use on a Tradesman assuming they don't have an internal damper like everyone elses seem to have.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are 2 completely different problems.
The thing you linked IS A DAMPER, OP is having a problem because his DAMPER is "working too well".
This is for trucks without a damper, in fact it says right in the manual to NOT USE if you already have a damper as it could cause the tailgate to open open and or cause damage.
Was I replying to OP??? I was not. Please read the question I was replying to.

Users who are viewing this thread