5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate won’t go down

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Did some searching but didn't come up with much. My dampened tailgate doesn't really go down on it's own anymore. I have to push it down for it to open fully. Is there a way to lubricate the hinges/dampeners?

Thanks.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tailgate removal is covered in the owners manual. The damper cylinder is behind the left tail light, and the attached damper/remote install instructions might help you figure out how to get into that. Between the two, you should be able to get at all the moving parts, I hope, I haven't had mine apart...

Attachments

• Tailgate_Damper_Remote_K6862788.PDF
    115.5 KB · Views: 29

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was able to get to it. I disconnected the strut. There still seems to be some resistance in the drivers side hinge tho. I also hear a slight squeak on that side. I lubes it a bit with pb blaster. It’s a bit better but not fluent. Sucks that the tire throws mud and water directly at this spot. What were the designers thinking? What’s the best way to lube the hinge?
49C03DE3-D6A9-44CB-A2FD-5E16919E8AD0.jpeg

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that’s an annoying problem to have. Do you drive a lot of dirt roads or just high miles? Some LPS-2 might help but if it’s seized up might be worth finding the part number and getting a new one. Does your truck have rear wheel well liners?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well that’s an annoying problem to have. Do you drive a lot of dirt roads or just high miles? Some LPS-2 might help but if it’s seized up might be worth finding the part number and getting a new one. Does your truck have rear wheel well liners?
Not much of either. I have 35k miles. Maybe I could line it better if I could get to the hinge itself. Not sure about the liners. I’ll take a look. Thanks

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not much of either. I have 35k miles. Maybe I could line it better if I could get to the hinge itself. Not sure about the liners. I’ll take a look. Thanks
In that case it might just be a bad dampener, are you still under warranty? Owners manual says to lube all the door hinges and I think tailgate hinges with lithium grease every 6 months (not that anyone actually does) but that might help with the squeaking

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
In that case it might just be a bad dampener, are you still under warranty? Owners manual says to lube all the door hinges and I think tailgate hinges with lithium grease every 6 months (not that anyone actually does) but that might help with the squeaking
I got ya. Bumper to bumper ran out due to age of my truck. Found the section about lubing. Guess you just spray in the cracks?
E6B5445D-65BE-47F4-B47B-25A29CC4635C.jpeg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
In other words, how do you grease this without a zerk?
6CCF0694-7C2E-4EDF-957C-22BBA90A1A90.jpeg

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got ya. Bumper to bumper ran out due to age of my truck. Found the section about lubing. Guess you just spray in the cracks?
View attachment 135734
Ah darn, I wonder how much that little dampener is. I got some white lithium grease at Advanced and I just have a reminder to hit all the hinges twice a year. Just spray some on and move it back and forward for a few seconds.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the damper because I still feel resistance with it disconnected. Guess I’ll have to get some lithium spray and see what that does.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the damper because I still feel resistance with it disconnected. Guess I’ll have to get some lithium spray and see what that does.
If you’re not having to push hard to get it down it might just be the buildup of dirt and lack of grease (hopefully)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hope so too. Here’s The rear fender well
76B78C4E-2CC6-4F94-87DE-B9E75B956DA5.jpeg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Where is the manual does it say to lube those parts every 6 months...

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you are a DIY type of individual put the lube with the oil change equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread