5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Sensor - should I have one?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen some mixed info on this and admit I never looked into it further. I have a 2020 Laramie which I purchased new. I’ve had a couple of times during my ownership where the tailgate unexpectedly dropped, and I am always looking back to verify if my tailgate is open. I’ve never had a tailgate open warning, and always thought it would be a great feature for the truck… even considered installing my own.

Before I go to the trouble, I am now curious if the truck has this sensor and it’s just never functioned.

Thanks for your help.

cerbo

Reaction score
my lower trim BTS 2024 has it. Shows in the center speedo area if gate is down.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen some mixed info on this and admit I never looked into it further. I have a 2020 Laramie which I purchased new. I’ve had a couple of times during my ownership where the tailgate unexpectedly dropped, and I am always looking back to verify if my tailgate is open. I’ve never had a tailgate open warning, and always thought it would be a great feature for the truck… even considered installing my own.

Before I go to the trouble, I am now curious if the truck has this sensor and it’s just never functioned.

Thanks for your help.
Does your build sheet list it? You'll be looking for "Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp" somewhere in the document.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks for your help.
You have the sensor in your tailgate, but it’s not configured to function. You need to use alfaobd or JScan to enable it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You have the sensor in your tailgate, but it’s not configured to function. You need to use alfaobd or JScan to enable it.
That's what I was going to say. On my 2020 BH, I just had to enable it.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That would be a game changer! Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately, I don’t have either tool… I do have a Tazer but hadn’t seen that function before. I’ll do some research on the alpha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before I invest in alfaobd, I should check with the experts here…

I have a Tazer DT and also a BAFX OBD2 module. I think I’ve used the BAFX module once a few years ago and kinda forgot about it. With this combination, would I be able to enable the tailgate sensor?

If not, I’ll need to do some reading about what all is needed for alfaobd. Looks like that’s a $50 computer program, and not sure about all of the security gateway bypass hardware needed. Either way, seems it’s possible to get this sensor activated which would be an awesome addition to my truck. Wish I had asked this question 4yrs ago. I greatly appreciate the help!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Before I invest in alfaobd, I should check with the experts here…

I have a Tazer DT and also a BAFX OBD2 module. I think I’ve used the BAFX module once a few years ago and kinda forgot about it. With this combination, would I be able to enable the tailgate sensor?

If not, I’ll need to do some reading about what all is needed for alfaobd. Looks like that’s a $50 computer program, and not sure about all of the security gateway bypass hardware needed. Either way, seems it’s possible to get this sensor activated which would be an awesome addition to my truck. Wish I had asked this question 4yrs ago. I greatly appreciate the help!
Your TazerDT is a SGW bypass, and the BAFX adapter should be enough to work with alfaObd (if you use android phone)

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks guys. I downloaded JScan and entered the demo mode and looks like I found the setting. I’m on a roadtrip now but will give this a shot once I get a free moment.

IMG_5899.jpg

Just to be sure, I need to have the Tazer DT and OBD2 installed concurrently in order to adjust these settings, correct?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks guys. I downloaded JScan and entered the demo mode and looks like I found the setting. I’m on a roadtrip now but will give this a shot once I get a free moment.

View attachment 185991

Just to be sure, I need to have the Tazer DT and OBD2 installed concurrently in order to adjust these settings, correct?
Yes, the TazerDT will act as the security bypass

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update - I downloaded a license of JScan only to find out the feature was already Active on my truck. I verified by going back to my window sticker and I see it listed there as well.

Unfortunately, the lamp doesn’t show on my dashboard… or at least I can’t find it. I’m guessing it would be pretty obvious so I’m thinking mine is dysfunctional. Anyone care to share a pic of what this looks like?

Also unfortunately, I didn’t think to check this while under warranty.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update - I downloaded a license of JScan only to find out the feature was already Active on my truck. I verified by going back to my window sticker and I see it listed there as well.

Unfortunately, the lamp doesn’t show on my dashboard… or at least I can’t find it. I’m guessing it would be pretty obvious so I’m thinking mine is dysfunctional. Anyone care to share a pic of what this looks like?

In JScan, don’t go to adaptations. Go to modules > body controller > configuration, and type in ECU Configuration 1. Then scroll and look for the setting that mentions Pin F26 (or connector F pin 26), and make sure that is active.
Then type in ECU configuration 4, and select tailgate ajar indication and double check that setting there.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It will display a message in the center of the truck with the trailgate down asking you to press okay. Pretty obvious. And then the right icon showing the doors open will show the tailgate open like it does the doors and doesn't go away at all (well until you shut the tailgate). Again, pretty obvious.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie had the sensor and it was listed in the build sheet, but the tailgate ajar warning was not activated. I used AlfaOBD to enable it.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In JScan, don’t go to adaptations. Go to modules > body controller > configuration, and type in ECU Configuration 1. Then scroll and look for the setting that mentions Pin F26 (or connector F pin 26), and make sure that is active.
Then type in ECU configuration 4, and select tailgate ajar indication and double check that setting there.

That’s super helpful. I’ll give that a shot tonight. I initially went t into adaptations to check this setting.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I enabled the warning on my truck, and it worked for a while, but no longer works. Might have to go back in and make sure it's still enabled even though I never changed it back

Users who are viewing this thread