5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release not working

JDBob35a

Reaction score
Anyone had an issue with the tailgate not opening.
I'm having an intermittent issue where the tailgate wont' open unless I press in the middle over the handle , nearly enough pressure to rock the truck forward.
When it does this neither the remote release or the local release work, can hear the actuator function but no movement in the tailgate, and the tailgate feels secure and no tailgate open light on in the dash.
Had this happen about 5 times now in a months time. Guess I'll take it to dealer but I'll get the same ole "We couldn't replicate the problem" story they have so well rehearsed.
Wondered if anyone else has had this, and if there was a DIY fix for it.

Thanks
Bob

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone had an issue with the tailgate not opening.
I'm having an intermittent issue where the tailgate wont' open unless I press in the middle over the handle , nearly enough pressure to rock the truck forward.
When it does this neither the remote release or the local release work, can hear the actuator function but no movement in the tailgate, and the tailgate feels secure and no tailgate open light on in the dash.
Had this happen about 5 times now in a months time. Guess I'll take it to dealer but I'll get the same ole "We couldn't replicate the problem" story they have so well rehearsed.
Wondered if anyone else has had this, and if there was a DIY fix for it.

Thanks
Bob

I’ve been having the same issue for months. Took it to the dealership several times and as expected couldn’t duplicate. Showed them a video of it happening, but not good enough for them to try and do anything about it. If you find a solution let me know know please.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I’ve been having the same issue for months. Took it to the dealership several times and as expected couldn’t duplicate. Showed them a video of it happening, but not good enough for them to try and do anything about it. If you find a solution let me know know please.

Well at least I'm not alone. I didn't remember hearing of this before. Video of it happening and they won't fix, sounds about right.
Mine just started it in Feb, and has happened several times.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The lock design on the tailgate seems to require a hard slam to close. I once gave it a light close and had a hard time re-opening the tailgate. So hard a time I thought I was going to have to have the dealer fix it. Over time the gate is now easier to open and close. Mentioned it to the service department once and they offered to adjust it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030139 miles.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
Yeah, salesman told me when I looked at the truck I'd have to basically slam the tailgate with my hand in the middle at the top to get it shut and not have the tailgate open light.
Got 26,000 miles now and I think it's getting harder to shut and now this.
Thanks for the replay Dusty.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine still does it even if I slam it shut. It doesn’t happen right away though, after driving for a few days without trying to open it, then it happens again. It’s as if the tailgate or latch is shifting while driving just enough to cause the issue.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the issue sometimes. I'll have to try a hard versus soft close study. Thanks for the info Dusty. Do you have a tonneau cover? Could it be an issue? Anybody out there without a tonneau that has this issue?

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a tonneau cover, but I’ve tried slamming the tailgate with the cover open and it doesn’t make any difference. Still happens after driving for a few days.

Maconi

Reaction score
I only have to use moderate force (no harder than you would use to close a car's trunk lid). I've never had to slam mine. It sounds like FCA isn't adjusting the latch pins properly or something.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I have a tonneau on mine. Trifold type. It's nothing to do with it, definitely some type of latch/lock/adjustment issue with the tailgate.
My cover has been on since the week after I bought the truck over a year ago. I thought of the cover at first as well and verified it's lined up like its supposed to be and nothing interfering with the tailgate.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember now. My technician said he lubricated the tailgate latches, which he said was the cause of closing and latching problems on the DT design.

FROM 2019 Ram DT Service Manual:
23 - Body / Standard Procedure
BODY LUBRICATION
Lubrication Requirements
Locks and all body pivot points, including such items as seat tracks, door hinge pivot points and rollers , liftgate, tailgate, sliding doors and hood hinges, should be lubricated periodically with a lithium based grease such as Mopar ® Spray White Lube to ensure quiet, easy operation and to protect against rust and wear. Prior to the application of any lubricant, wipe the parts clean, to remove dust and grit. After lubricating, excess oil and grease should be removed. Particular attention should also be given to hood latching components to make sure they function properly. When performing other underhood services, clean and lubricate the hood latch release mechanism and safety catch.

The external lock cylinders should be lubricated twice a year, preferably in the fall and spring. Apply a small amount of a high quality lubricant such as Mopar ® Lock Cylinder Lubricant directly into the lock cylinder.

Lubricant Application
Door Lock Cylinders

1. Apply a small amount of lubricant directly into the lock cylinder.
  2. Apply a small amount of lubricant to the key.
  3. Insert key into lock cylinder and cycle the mechanism from the locked to the unlocked position.

NOTE:
    Do not add more lubricant.
  4. Cycle the lock cylinder mechanism several times to allow the lubricant to flow throughout the cylinder.
  5. Wipe all lubricant from exterior of lock cylinder and key.
All Other Body Mechanisms

1. Clean component as described above.
  2. Apply specified lubricant to all pivoting and sliding contact areas of component.
Lubricant Usage
Engine Oil
  • Door hinge and rollers - hinge pin, roller and pivot contact areas
  • Hood hinges - pivot points
  • Liftgate hinges
Mopar ® Spray White Lube or Equivalent
  • Door check straps
  • Liftgate latches
  • Liftgate prop pivots
  • Ash receiver
  • Fuel filler door remote control latch mechanism
  • Parking brake mechanism
  • Sliding seat tracks
  • Liftgate latch
Mopar ® Multipurpose Grease or Equivalent
  • All other hood mechanisms
Mopar ® Lock Cylinder Lubricant or Equivalent
  • Door lock cylinders
  • Liftgate lock cylinder
_________________________________________________________________________________

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030139 miles.

KarsonR

Reaction score
I get the same unpredictable intermittent issue happening also. After a few bangs and lock it unlocks it usually pops open. Never not opened, but I just know one day it's not going to

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get the same unpredictable intermittent issue happening also. After a few bangs and lock it unlocks it usually pops open. Never not opened, but I just know one day it's not going to

Hi @KarsonR - I regret to hear that you are experiencing this. Would you mind following up with me via PM to provide your VIN so that I may look into this further for you?

Mark
RamCares

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll see if I have the thumbdrive from work with it. I know it was mostly the passenger side latch assembly which needed to be adjusted from the factory. (Same latch that forces the driver to SLAM the tailgate shut -- I have just adjusted mine prior to being told about the actual "fix" -- TSB)

EDIT: Sorry, not a TSB but a STAR CASE:
S1808000156 6/14/2018 Tailgate Does Not Release Or Drop Upon Request (ATTACHED)

Attachments

• S1808000156.pdf
    155.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

KarsonR

Reaction score
I'll see if I have the thumbdrive from work with it. I know it was mostly the passenger side latch assembly which needed to be adjusted from the factory. (Same latch that forces the driver to SLAM the tailgate shut -- I have just adjusted mine prior to being told about the actual "fix" -- TSB)

EDIT: Sorry, not a TSB but a STAR CASE:
S1808000156 6/14/2018 Tailgate Does Not Release Or Drop Upon Request (ATTACHED)
Thanks!!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome .. I do remember someone on here also posted up the information about that passenger side latch being adjusted, I just can't seem to locate it at the moment. Which you can adjust yourself: no harm no foul. You can also look at that ground in the Star Case - but if you are not feeling comfortable with that, just ask your local tech to pull up that Star Case and they can handle it for you.

The Star Case is more Electrical issue where the Latch is more physical.

KarsonR

Reaction score
I'm totally comfortable adjusting it myself, I would assume just listen to latch shut it open it and tighten it where it was the last moved to?

Users who are viewing this thread