5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Open Warning Light

Captkent

Reaction score
so im dealing with this now. I have 4 ,19 rams for my bussiness and just bought one for personal use and the tailgate ajar light does not work. works on all the other trucks. so i take it in and the dealer says if it was built between april 15 19 and nov 22 19 then my truck doesnt have it. but its on the build list and has the option code. so from what ive figured out is something has happened at the factory and those trucks have had that option disabled at the factory.

what id like to know is an explanation as to why. and ram isnt giving it to me or the techs. i got a bs answer from the service manager to basically tell me to go pound salt. says it cant be fixed.

i say because ram doesnt want to replace faulty bcms to fix it, or what ever they need to replace.

if you are having this issue you shouldnt put up with it. its a standard option on all models except tradesman. its in the owners manual and the brochure.

im going to keep digging on this cause the service manager really pissed me off.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Mine was built August 2020 and I don't have it.
I think I read somewhere it just needs to be activated through the BCM using Alpha OBD or something similar. If it can be done with an Alpha OBD, then the dealer sure as hell should be able to do it!

HydroRebel

Reaction score
so im dealing with this now. I have 4 ,19 rams for my bussiness and just bought one for personal use and the tailgate ajar light does not work. works on all the other trucks. so i take it in and the dealer says if it was built between april 15 19 and nov 22 19 then my truck doesnt have it. but its on the build list and has the option code. so from what ive figured out is something has happened at the factory and those trucks have had that option disabled at the factory.

what id like to know is an explanation as to why. and ram isnt giving it to me or the techs. i got a bs answer from the service manager to basically tell me to go pound salt. says it cant be fixed.

i say because ram doesnt want to replace faulty bcms to fix it, or what ever they need to replace.

if you are having this issue you shouldnt put up with it. its a standard option on all models except tradesman. its in the owners manual and the brochure.

im going to keep digging on this cause the service manager really pissed me off.
Mine was built August 2020 and I don't have it.
I think I read somewhere it just needs to be activated through the BCM using Alpha OBD or something similar. If it can be done with an Alpha OBD, then the dealer sure as hell should be able to do it!
I went through the same thing. It lists the feature on the build sheet and yet the truck doesn't have it, dealer gives you a BS story bla bla bla. I enabled it with AlfaOBD. My dealer also changed my tow mirrors to sport mirrors and couldn't get the power fold function to work, then they told me it was impossible if the truck never came with it. Again AlfaOBD to the rescue. I emailed the service manager a video of my mirrors power folding and my tail gate warning on the dash. I never got a response to the email!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried for months to get this option that is listed on my build sheet to work and even went as far as bringing them a near identical truck with it working but never got anywhere.

Final answer from FCA was that it will never work unless you have the multi function tailgate or parallel park assist, which is BS because the truck I showed them had neither.

Alfaobd to the rescue, enabled in just a few minutes and works as it should. Dealer level computers cannot enable it according to two different dealers I spoke with and even my sales guy who has a ram and would also like the option to work.

I also contacted a class action law firm but was told this is more of a false advertising case up here in Canada as you cannot require other options to be installed to enable a factory installed option that is listed on your window sticker.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA don’t care, dealers don’t know / don’t care. Just want us to spend our $60,000+ I had a vibration issue with my 19 ram and I had the run around for a year. They did not take me serious with my ongoing issue until I told them they would be hearing from my lawyer, then they were all ears!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA don’t care, dealers don’t know / don’t care. Just want us to spend our $60,000+ I had a vibration issue with my 19 ram and I had the run around for a year. They did not take me serious with my ongoing issue until I told them they would be hearing from my lawyer, then they were all ears!
They ended up buying it back under the lemon law!

Captkent

Reaction score
It definitely sounds like this Alpha ODB is the way to go to fix this issue and possibly many other issues

Captkent

Reaction score
Anyone on this form close to Peterborough Ontario I'd be interested in meeting up with someone to show me how this works

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Anyone on this form close to Peterborough Ontario I'd be interested in meeting up with someone to show me how this works
Honestly dude, AlfaOBD is super easy to use. There's plenty of YouTube videos out there that can guide you if needed but I hardly think it's needed. The hardest part of the process is disconnecting the 2 SGW cables which, I admit, was a little scary at first but quickly becomes second nature. I used to lean right on my side looking up at them with a flashlight. Now I just reach in and unplug them both with ease. Being able to change DRL location was worth the money alone (for me) but it turns out I got much more out of it than I expected. Basically any factory options can be enabled with AlfaOBD as long as you have the corresponding hardware.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My Rebel has it

Attachments

• 3EA2533D-3ECB-4804-832D-9B785682D88C.jpeg
    3EA2533D-3ECB-4804-832D-9B785682D88C.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 621

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh they all have it installed as a default option, it’s just not enabled in some cases and nobody at the dealer or customer service levels can tell you why. Even @RamCares has went silent about this issue as it was once a “known issue that is being worked on” to something that nobody at FCA cares about anymore.

there is a previous version of that star case which I don’t have a copy of on my phone which said they were working on the issue.

Attachments

• EBEDBEE1-46DE-4DDA-9B54-376CC09DF6FC.jpeg
    EBEDBEE1-46DE-4DDA-9B54-376CC09DF6FC.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 48
  • D71B697F-694A-4715-844A-5922F36B1EBE.png
    D71B697F-694A-4715-844A-5922F36B1EBE.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 45

Captkent

Reaction score
I’m ready to get alpha odd software , the obd2 Bluetooth adaptor and the bypass module.
I have one concern. The dealer told me that because my truck was built between April 15 19 and nov 22 19. It wouldn’t work. Who on here has enabled their tailgate ajar light with alpha odb, with a build date between those dates. Also tell me what odb2 adaptor you purchased and what bypass module you got.
Thank

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m ready to get alpha odd software , the obd2 Bluetooth adaptor and the bypass module.
I have one concern. The dealer told me that because my truck was built between April 15 19 and nov 22 19. It wouldn’t work. Who on here has enabled their tailgate ajar light with alpha odb, with a build date between those dates. Also tell me what odb2 adaptor you purchased and what bypass module you got.
Thank
It’ll work once you enable it in alfaobd, they won’t know what to say next time you take it in and “accidentally” leave the tailgate open.

Even if your truck falls outside of the build dates listed in the star case both your dealer and customer care will tell you it will NEVER work. They just won’t enable it for whatever reason, no negative side affect if you enable it yourself.

If you check these two star case pictures, they have the same number but no longer mention that it is being worked on. And in the third pic a fellow forum member was able to convince their dealer to get in enabled.

Attachments

• Star Case S1908000193.jpg
    Star Case S1908000193.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 48
  • tailgate.jpg
    tailgate.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
For those who have the warning light, does it go off after awhile if the tailgate is left open? I don't want an annoying warning if I have my ATV in the back for a long trip

Captkent

Reaction score
For those who have the warning light, does it go off after awhile if the tailgate is left open? I don't want an annoying warning if I have my ATV in the back for a long trip
If you press ok on the steering wheel. The picture of the truck in the center display goes away but the icon stays lit. I know this cause 4 of my 5 rams do this just not my personal one

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another thing I found odd under stock programming is that the bed lights will turn on when you open a cab door, but not the tailgate. Excellent programming FCA.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Another thing I found odd under stock programming is that the bed lights will turn on when you open a cab door, but not the tailgate. Excellent programming FCA.
That is really weird , mine come on as soon as I open my tailgate .

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 Bighorn Level 2 Night Edition. On my spec sheet but did not work. I used AlfaOBD and now it works. Cargo lights also come on when I open Tailgate. Build date 5/20.

I also changed drls from low beam to turn signals. Amber against black paint looks awesome!

Also disabled fog light drop out with high beams.

Users who are viewing this thread