5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

Jameshaag99

Reaction score
Honestly if you were a good electrician and knew exactly which resistors to use to prevent backfeed you could just tap a brake wire and a turn signal merge them into one and wire it to the appropriate side of the blade. But I'm not savvy enough to know what size resistor I would need to prevent feedback.
Yeah and im no electrician either so I have no clue lol. Im debating taking it to a shop to see what they say. So youre just not getting the brake light either right?

Airbornecmc

Reaction score
What if you just tapped into the “brake” wire for the trailer wiring behind the bumper and left everything else “as-is”? So your turn signals, hazards, markers, and reverse would be connected to the wiring harness for the taillights and just the brake to the trailer wiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jameshaag99

Reaction score
What if you just tapped into the “brake” wire for the trailer wiring behind the bumper and left everything else “as-is”? So your turn signals, hazards, markers, and reverse would be connected to the wiring harness for the taillights and just the brake to the trailer wiring?

Problem is there is no separate wire for brake light. The turn signal and brake light are the same wire when connected to the trailer harness and being that I am now tapped into the signals on the tail lamps I dont know what would happen if you tapped those into the trailer wiring. Hope that makes sense haha

Airbornecmc

Reaction score
Ah. Okay, now I’m tracking. Hope they find a fix ... my OPT7 works but I’ve smashed it a few times closing the tailgate and was thinking about changing it out with the blade. But I have halogen tails so it may not even be an issue.

Jameshaag99

Reaction score
Ah. Okay, now I’m tracking. Hope they find a fix ... my OPT7 works but I’ve smashed it a few times closing the tailgate and was thinking about changing it out with the blade. But I have halogen tails so it may not even be an issue.

Yeah the tech told me that it would work if i had the halogen lamps. So you should be good to go.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright so just got off the phone with a tech at Putco. So basically he told me that by running the turn signal wires straight to my tail lamps which are LED I lose the brake feature on my light bar. This is due to the fact that on the 7 pin the brake and turn signals are one wire. Where as the LED tail lamp is 2 separate wires for the turn signal and brake light. Theres no way to tap into both the turn and brake wires on the tail lamp harness. So until there is a fix which putco said they were working on ill either have to go back to how I originally had it connected and deal with the turn signal delay or just deal without having the brake feature on the ligbt bar which isnt so bad because all the other functions work.
I’ll just leave mine as is, so far no one has yelled out to me that I have a millisecond delay on my turn signal.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was behind a Laramie tonight with a “light bar”. It looked like a two- or three-row LED rope (all wavy), and of course it had the delay. Not a good look. I’ll wait to “get it right” ;)

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Whelp I just went and bought the light bar and spacers and saw for myself how it all went together. It was fairly simple.
6e795c29362aa04a1770eb2194ab00e7.jpg
aee59e6d6b0d0256579feeaf808810d3.jpg
153fb0f94ca422a60838c41caaf5fe3a.jpg
7d3e5bef0e96ee2129f5fe6a5f9c9387.jpg

Thank you so much for these clear and concise pics as I set out to install this.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Alright so just got off the phone with a tech at Putco. So basically he told me that by running the turn signal wires straight to my tail lamps which are LED I lose the brake feature on my light bar. This is due to the fact that on the 7 pin the brake and turn signals are one wire. Where as the LED tail lamp is 2 separate wires for the turn signal and brake light. Theres no way to tap into both the turn and brake wires on the tail lamp harness. So until there is a fix which putco said they were working on ill either have to go back to how I originally had it connected and deal with the turn signal delay or just deal without having the brake feature on the ligbt bar which isnt so bad because all the other functions work.
@V8Spock Do you have the LED taillights brother?

V8Spock

Reaction score
Good work investigating! I do have the LED taillights and the light bar does not light with the brakes. I guess its a choice of either no turn signal delay or having the light bar work with the brakes.

Since my wires are all shrink wrapped and zip tied, I'll wait for Putco to develop a workaround.

@V8Spock Do you have the LED taillights brother?

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Good work investigating! I do have the LED taillights and the light bar does not light with the brakes. I guess its a choice of either no turn signal delay or having the light bar work with the brakes.

Since my wires are all shrink wrapped and zip tied, I'll wait for Putco to develop a workaround.
Ok good to know. Thanks for the update!

Airbornecmc

Reaction score
I think it’s more an issue with compatibility with LED tail lights than the bar itself.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Was behind a Laramie tonight with a “light bar”. It looked like a two- or three-row LED rope (all wavy), and of course it had the delay. Not a good look. I’ll wait to “get it right” ;)
Same here. OCD prevents me from doing this, even if I don't see it...

Marky Mark

Reaction score
I would like to thank all that contributed info to this thread on the OPT7 Triple bar. Perfect install of mine tonight!

And that little delay that we have discussed over and over here....I'm OCD too..Very much...Get over it...Everyone over to my shop watchin' the install called it badazz! And these fools speak their minds! Onto the next mod!

#TripleDown

mesquite5010

Reaction score
Ok....installed my OPT7. Bought the wrong adapter apparently. So everything works but reverse. I’ve looked through this entire thread and googled multiple ways. I’m just going to tap the reverse in the taillight. Problem is I have the LED lights with only one connection. I can’t figure out which wire to tap. WHICH ONE IS IT???? I have a 19 Rebel....

Ken2021Etorque

Reaction score
Ok....installed my OPT7. Bought the wrong adapter apparently. So everything works but reverse. I’ve looked through this entire thread and googled multiple ways. I’m just going to tap the reverse in the taillight. Problem is I have the LED lights with only one connection. I can’t figure out which wire to tap. WHICH ONE IS IT???? I have a 19 Rebel....

Tap into the hitch wiring connectors in the back of it, thats how i did no issues at all and no delays

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I would like to thank all that contributed info to this thread on the OPT7 Triple bar. Perfect install of mine tonight!

And that little delay that we have discussed over and over here....I'm OCD too..Very much...Get over it...Everyone over to my shop watchin' the install called it badazz! And these fools speak their minds! Onto the next mod!

#TripleDown
If I could get over it, I would not be suffering from OCD...

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online