5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

crangel

Reaction score
I think it might drive me nuts as well. I am more interested in the running, brake, and reverse light. Wonder if you can disconnect the turn / amber LED's and just have the running/brake/reverse function and if it would look funny.

Airbornecmc

Reaction score
If I recall mine came with a 4 pin connector and I used a Curt “vehicle-side” harness to connect into the trucks harness behind the bumper. You should be able to do it by clipping the turn signal wire at the 4 pin. Maybe. My methods usually lack technical accuracy ... more of a trial and error type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crangel

Reaction score
Think I answered my own question, after looking at the video again, the red running led's (and possibly brake as well) are turned off during the turn signal blinking. So, it would look weird since half the running lights would be dark when the turn signal would be on. Oh well.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its strange how the hazards flash red instead of amber.
Honestly I never noticed until you mentioned it but I think I’ll get over it. Did you use the putco wiring harness as well with your install?

armymp1130

Reaction score
i have a question could some take a picture of how they hooked the curt adapter into back of truck i got everything else perfect but cannot figure out how to remove factory trailer connection or what to do ... thank you

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a deal breaker for me. I know I can't see it, but I will know
Yeah I pulled mine off because of this, not! Do you drive around with your hazards on? I’ve used my hazards maybe once or twice in my 38 years of driving so I could care less if they flash red/amber or pink. To each there own I guess.

crangel

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has installed the Putco 18 in with the turn signal wires connected directly to the turn signals instead of the trailer connector and if that would help the turn signal blink delay issue? I think some of their other units have something to this in their directions.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Okay I read this whole thread. Gathering all info...I never seen the person that posted "wiring direct to taillights" etc if it fixed delay or not unless I missed it. Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
A couple of us wired their light bars directly to the tail lights to eliminate the delay. It's covered earlier in this thread.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/tailgate-light-bar.3298/page-10#post-134690

What questions do you have?
Thanks brother...I missed a key part in your post...And the delay was gone.

And I would have done this to begin with if installing a bar. Not sure why many freak out on splicing into their wiring. You can still make a quick disconnect on your own going this route too which I plan to do.

My triple bar is on order. Thanks for all this info on here!

Shannonw

Reaction score
A couple of us wired their light bars directly to the tail lights to eliminate the delay. It's covered earlier in this thread.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/tailgate-light-bar.3298/page-10#post-134690

What questions do you have?
Do the turn signals and brakes work off of the same wire? I had my putco 60" fully installed. Got tired of the delay. Took everything apart, then realized I don't have enough wires coming from the light bar to wire everything. No matter how I did it I didn't have brakes if I had turns. And I only had running lights when the ignition was on. I would love to get all the lights working off the taillight harness so my Tazer dt will also include the light bar for the light show option. This is what I was able to figure as far as what wires were for each function.

Attachments

• 20191121_102526.jpg
    20191121_102526.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread