5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wrapping it up right now. No issues. Just need to finish up the wiring. It is a tight fit though. You need to align the bottom light strip with the top of the bumper. The tailgate just clears it when it opens.

i just ordered that tonight! (y)

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

grinch72

Reaction score
Does OPT7 led bar mess with BLIND SPOT or LANE KEEP or any other tow features while connected to the trailer pig tail. Do i need to get one with modified power wire ?
Not at all. Works great and nothing is effected.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the 55384 gives you a 4-wire plug and then you have to go tap reverse somewhere, a tail-light or elsewhere in the harness.

The Curt 56584 gives you reverse signal at the same plug you plug the bar into. You only have to fashion your bullet connector for the single extra socket in the plug. This seemed easier and cleaner to me.

There is an unused 4-wire pigtail ("hardwire adapter" according to their video) in the OPT7 light kit you can sacrifice to get the single white wire the associated bullet plug to extract with a box cutter or razor knife that you can solder/splice to the bar's white wire and put into the remaining open Curt 56584 socket to get reverse. Quick and free.

thats the one thing thats holding me up.where to tap in to get the reveres

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well guys after much searching found a member who gave me the answer in one simple one sentence answer.its the black wire that comes from your trailer harness.no the black is not neg- its positive+ the white is neg-..... :LOL::LOL:

myram2019

Reaction score
So i ordered the OPT7 and there are NO mounting clips. I see in the pictures that people are using clips to install this bar. Did they come with the bar or did you get them or make the ??

grinch72

Reaction score
So i ordered the OPT7 and there are NO mounting clips. I see in the pictures that people are using clips to install this bar. Did they come with the bar or did you get them or make the ??
They came with it. Did you order the regular OPT7 or the OPT7 triple? Is it a hard metal bar or is it flexible.l?

V8Spock

Reaction score
Updating this thread. Installed the Putco Blade red/amber/white light bar with the Putco wire harness.

60”, SKU: 92009-60
https://www.putco.com/blade-led-tailgate-light-bar

Blade Quick Connect Harness
SKU: 529004
https://www.putco.com/blade-quick-connect-harness

Light bars looks fantastic and works as advertised. Reverse is super bright. For an extra effect, the red LEDs light up the entire cavity under the tailgate. I’m pleased with the purchase.

Installation took 2 hours. I took my time and had a couple interruptions. Opted to install with stainless steel, self-tapping screws and spacers. This allowed space behind the bar for the camera wires. Hardest part was lining up the holder brackets. I had several plastic spacers on hand from another project and just combined them until the brackets were level with each other.

The wiring harness webpage shows the white (reverse) wire with a connector. It arrived with the white wire cut about 1 inch out of the shielding. Pretty tough to splice. The light bar white wire was simply stripped and had no connector. I was a little disappointed with the difference between the product and the webpage. Not difficult to overcome though.

There is a delay between the truck turn signal and light bar. No biggie for me. Be advised if this is a concern for you.

Thanks for the posts in this thread. They helped a bunch.

grinch72

Reaction score
Updating this thread. Installed the Putco Blade red/amber/white light bar with the Putco wire harness.

60”, SKU: 92009-60
https://www.putco.com/blade-led-tailgate-light-bar

Blade Quick Connect Harness
SKU: 529004
https://www.putco.com/blade-quick-connect-harness

Light bars looks fantastic and works as advertised. Reverse is super bright. For an extra effect, the red LEDs light up the entire cavity under the tailgate. I’m pleased with the purchase.

Installation took 2 hours. I took my time and had a couple interruptions. Opted to install with stainless steel, self-tapping screws and spacers. This allowed space behind the bar for the camera wires. Hardest part was lining up the holder brackets. I had several plastic spacers on hand from another project and just combined them until the brackets were level with each other.

The wiring harness webpage shows the white (reverse) wire with a connector. It arrived with the white wire cut about 1 inch out of the shielding. Pretty tough to splice. The light bar white wire was simply stripped and had no connector. I was a little disappointed with the difference between the product and the webpage. Not difficult to overcome though.

There is a delay between the truck turn signal and light bar. No biggie for me. Be advised if this is a concern for you.

Thanks for the posts in this thread. They helped a bunch.

View attachment 23592

View attachment 23593

View attachment 23594

View attachment 23595
Can you make a video of them working? Is there a delay on the turn signals? I'm most interested in that. I would consider switching if there was zero delay.

Users who are viewing this thread