5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK I see the light bar comes with the clips, and I have the links for the spacers, half-inch on the outside quarter inch on the inside, but which screws is everyone using and links to attach it?
yes, 60" light bar, Just get 1 or 1-1/4 sheet metal screws (I think #8). Just take the clips to home depot and see which screw size works best with the hole size in the clip and the inside diameter of the spacer. They have round 1/4 and 1/2" plastic spacers that you can pickup while getting the screws.
8d5bee4b97cc3d927cb5e98ed46b48d7.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

ktl5005

Reaction score
Here is the one I used

CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_EF8YEbKJJWJTP

I marked up pic that shows how it connects. The 4 way opt7 Connector plugs into the Curt 5way connector, the white reverse wire from will plug into last plug of curt 5 way connector. You will need to crimp bullet connector on wire.

4a671878d3feffa4d313bd52506d76d2.jpg

How is the delay on your ram? Year and trim?

ktl5005

Reaction score
yes, 60" light bar, Just get 1 or 1-1/4 sheet metal screws (I think #8). Just take the clips to home depot and see which screw size works best with the hole size in the clip and the inside diameter of the spacer. They have round 1/4 and 1/2" plastic spacers that you can pickup while getting the screws.

And then once it’s lined up straight and clears the bumper you just screw right through the plastic and it holds?

MikeyLikey619

Reaction score
You want to make sure to have the bar flush with the bottom. You don’t want it too high or will rub or not shut properly. It’s a lot easier than people are making it. I used self taping screws about 1 inch.

If you want added security some people have used zip ties. I found that mine was very tight on there don’t see it coming off easy.

For the white reverse light i didn’t tap into the brake light which some have done. I used the additional wiring they included in the curt harness kit and only used the white wire which is spliced and connected it. I cut off the other wires that weren’t being used on the additional wiring and plugged it in to the white reverse light slot. Worked like a charm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve yet to see a non-delay install.
Probably 1/2 second. I'm in the truck so it doesn't bother me and most people(except for forum members) that see it from behind doesn't even realize there is a delay. My wife's lucky if she can tell a Ram from a Chevy. Some have tried to wire direct to taillight(bit sure if they were successful) but I rather settle for the delay then start tapping into my taillight harness.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Well after some decision will end up ordering the OPT7 redline. What length screws and what type of screw did everyone use to attach it to the plastic and does it hold well?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well after some decision will end up ordering the OPT7 redline. What length screws and what type of screw did everyone use to attach it to the plastic and does it hold well?
1 or 1-1/4 self tapping or sheet metal screws. The plastic is thick so the screws hold very well.

ktl5005

Reaction score

I noticed the plastic below the tailgate where it mounts is not flat, has a slant to it. Did you shave the spacer to match the slant or just put the screw through it and let it be?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed the plastic below the tailgate where it mounts is not flat, has a slant to it. Did you shave the spacer to match the slant or just put the screw through it and let it be?
Nope use as is, 1/2 " on outside clips and 1/4" on inside clips. Just make sure bottom of light bar is positioned flush to top of bumper. BTW amazon has a used-like new curt adapter for $21, goes for $29 new. Used-like new is usually just customer return.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Well Wife made the final decision. The Putco Blade 18" ones is what she wanted. She said the 60" was "gawdy" and not "subtle." :rolleyes: Just ordered from Morris during their sale. Also order the Curtis 5 pin adapter from amazon since it is cheaper than the Putco one.

BobbyLeeSniper

Reaction score
Probably 1/2 second. I'm in the truck so it doesn't bother me and most people(except for forum members) that see it from behind doesn't even realize there is a delay. My wife's lucky if she can tell a Ram from a Chevy. Some have tried to wire direct to taillight(bit sure if they were successful) but I rather settle for the delay then start tapping into my taillight harness.

My thought for that was for a jumper harness that plugs into the factory harness and then into the taillight, then you feed the lightbar off the jumper. That way if you need to have it serviced or trade in or whatever the case may be, you unplug the jumper and then reconnect the factory harness back to tail light.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thought for that was for a jumper harness that plugs into the factory harness and then into the taillight, then you feed the lightbar off the jumper. That way if you need to have it serviced or trade in or whatever the case may be, you unplug the jumper and then reconnect the factory harness back to tail light.
Most people use the Curt adapter lifted above. It tee's into the factory trailer connector on the back of the bumper. It unfortunately causes a slight delay initially turning on, about 1/2 second, some folks don't like this so have opted to tap directly into taillight harness.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Correct. I ordered the Curtis harness and from the videos I’ve seen of the Putco dual bar which I also ordered, the delay is less than 1/2 second. I’m ok with that

BobbyLeeSniper

Reaction score
Most people use the Curt adapter lifted above. It tee's into the factory trailer connector on the back of the bumper. It unfortunately causes a slight delay initially turning on, about 1/2 second, some folks don't like this so have opted to tap directly into taillight harness.

We are on the same page. The jumper cable would just be tie in so your not modifying the factory harness.

I already priced out harness parts(connectors, pins, wires), once the bar gets delivered, ill probably order the harness parts and attempt to build my own jumper.

BlckDT

Reaction score
When ordering from OPT7 site what did everyone select for the options listed.
- 60” (mostly everyone looks like they did)?
- Amber or Red turn?
- Adapter Module (for those with backup camera, etc)?

a4b5b4e1fe6aac90af0e5e03b109a85d.jpg

BobbyLeeSniper

Reaction score
- Amber or Red turn?

I ordered the 60" with Amber. I did not order the module as I didnt see anyone with the module.

ktl5005

Reaction score
- Amber or Red turn?

Amber, no adapter needed. That issue is only with the Ford's. Covered multiple times in here plug either the OPT7 or Putco into the trailer harness, and everything works fine with the camera, blind spot, etc

BlckDT

Reaction score
I ordered the 60" with Amber. I did not order the module as I didnt see anyone with the module.
Amber, no adapter needed. That issue is only with the Ford's. Covered multiple times in here plug either the OPT7 or Putco into the trailer harness, and everything works fine with the camera, blind spot, etc

Thanks for the quick responses!

Users who are viewing this thread