5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

Easyed

Reaction score
The quick connector actually came with the weatherproof connectors on both the wires. The only wire that was missing a quick connector was the 12V+ wire on the light bar controller box; had to cut it and add the male weatherproof connector (the male end actually came connected to the female end on the quick connector but was missing the metal pin, which I had to salvage from one of the quick connectors I bought in this kit ahead of time in case the quick connector didn't come with any).
Hey thanks for the reply I'm thinking about getting the same thing for my 2019 limited. Did you have any problems with installation I know it is pretty tight space. Thanks again

supercanadian

Reaction score
Just before i begin, am i to wire the white wire to the empty pin on the connector (where the blue wire is)? Thanks for the help gentlemen!

Attachments

• IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 209

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just before i begin, am i to wire the white wire to the empty pin on the connector (where the blue wire is)? Thanks for the help gentlemen!
The blue wire is for the reverse light on the 5 pin flat. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the white wire.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reverse wire from opt7 harness would go to the blue wire of the 5 wire flat connector. You can use a yellow bullet connector on the wire to plug into flat connector

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a before and after of the reverse light output with the OPT7 light bar? Haven’t fully decided on adding a light bar yet but I need to improve the reverse lights back there. Thanks all!

supercanadian

Reaction score
I didn't notice too much more light output backing into my garage as i would have liked. My old putco light bar on my f150 was much brighter reverse than the opt7 in my memory at least.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get off late so I use my reverse light everyday to back into my driveway. The OEM less are useless, they don't supply enough light to give the camera enough light. The opt7 gives the camera much need light and lights up the drive way adequately but definitely doesn't light it up as a flood light would do and make it look like daytime.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn...I need some closure. I read all 21 pages hoping a non-delay with factory LED tails version or option would present itself.
Would a jumper wire between the (right side) turn signal white w/green stripe to the brake light wire white w/out stripe work? (same on other side but white with yellow to white w/out stripe)
Forgive my electrical ignorance, is something made that allows for current to flow in only 1 direction?
Someone with the right knowledge and time should figure this out and make a plug-n-play harness for lightbars. Even people that say the delay doesn't bother them would probably buy it.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't have answer to your jumpers but a diode would be used to restrict flow of current in one direction to prevent back feeding voltage. The micro second delay doesn't bother me not sure if I would buy something to prevent perhaps if it's a few dollars why not... Lol..

Ijlukaa

Reaction score
maybe this was answered and i didnt see it but i want to make sure, i was looking at the spacing where the light bar would go and for me it seems either putco or opt7 wont fit in the space with out being smashed by the tailgate when you go to open it. want to make sure before i buy either or

Ijlukaa

Reaction score
does anyone have a picture or video of the bar installed with the tailgate down to see the spacing

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
maybe this was answered and i didnt see it but i want to make sure, i was looking at the spacing where the light bar would go and for me it seems either putco or opt7 wont fit in the space with out being smashed by the tailgate when you go to open it. want to make sure before i buy either or
Opt7 fits with spacers and clears tailgate. The bottom of light bar must at height of top of bumper and you will be fine.

1d956144333e6401f2ea439ffc032145.jpg

MikeyLikey619

Reaction score
Got mine done tonight, thanks for the help Jamie.howlett! I used the clips and spaced them away from the plastic with 4 small washers and ran 2 black zip ties in 2 spots where there was no lights for added hold
Are your lights smoked?

MikeyLikey619

Reaction score
Just installed my OPT7 light bar. Easier than I thought with the CURT 56584 harness. Like a previous guy said save yourself time and don’t mess with the tail light to wire the reverse white light. I just took the additional wiring connector they included in the kit cut off the other colors and only kept the white reverse light. I connected to the curt harness white wire added a little electrical tape and bam you’re in business. Hooks up perfect. You’ll need 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch vinyl spacers and longer self tapping/drilling screws. I didn’t take my tailgate off or use a drill. Looks great and the reverse lighting is really bright.

I didn’t realize how weak all the lighting was on my bighorn. Next MOD interior and exterior lighting!!!

BobbyLeeSniper

Reaction score
Couple questions regarding installs.

Has anyone attempted to make a jumper harness to feed off the factory taillight harness to power/control the lightbar to eliminate the delay?
Ive seem a couple people say they are using self tappers to screw to the plastic, however, how stable is the lightbar with spacers and self tappers? For me, being from Michigan and always dealing with potholes and dirt roads, i would think the self tappers would eventually pull through from bouncing/vibrations. Just curious if anyone has had any issues.

I have a bar on order, so trying to get ahead of the game so when it arrives Im set.

ktl5005

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the Putco Blade and the OPT7 Triple. Both have respective harnesses but the Putco seems more easy to connect. So much info in here on the OPT7 it’s a bit confusing.
For the OPT seven, which Curtis harness am I using and how do I connect it?
It seems like the Blade It’s easy three-way connector into the trailer harness and that’s it.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the Putco Blade and the OPT7 Triple. Both have respective harnesses but the Putco seems more easy to connect. So much info in here on the OPT7 it’s a bit confusing.
For the OPT seven, which Curtis harness am I using and how do I connect it?
It seems like the Blade It’s easy three-way connector into the trailer harness and that’s it.
Here is the one I used

CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_EF8YEbKJJWJTP

I marked up pic that shows how it connects. The 4 way opt7 Connector plugs into the Curt 5way connector, the white reverse wire from will plug into last plug of curt 5 way connector. You will need to crimp bullet connector on wire.

4a671878d3feffa4d313bd52506d76d2.jpg

ktl5005

Reaction score
Here is the one I used

CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_EF8YEbKJJWJTP

I marked up pic that shows how it connects. The 4 way opt7 Connector plugs into the Curt 5way connector, the white reverse wire from will plug into last plug of curt 5 way connector. You will need to crimp bullet connector on wire.

4a671878d3feffa4d313bd52506d76d2.jpg

That was a great simple explanation. Thank you. Now I just have to go search the thread for the spacers that were used and clips to space it over the camera wire

people are using the 60” model correct?

ktl5005

Reaction score
OK I see the light bar comes with the clips, and I have the links for the spacers, half-inch on the outside quarter inch on the inside, but which screws is everyone using and links to attach it?

Users who are viewing this thread