5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate issues.

Hiimkyle70

Reaction score
Does anybody elses tailgate (electric handle and the tailgate damper) have issues opening their tailgates sometimes. Usually after not using it for a bit I have to hit the button and push the tailgate however after that it opens with just the button. Somebody told me they think it's a safety thing but I'm not quite sure

Geobound

Reaction score
No problems with mine either.

It works with the fob, the switch inside the cab, and a pull of the handle each time without issue.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anybody elses tailgate (electric handle and the tailgate damper) have issues opening their tailgates sometimes. Usually after not using it for a bit I have to hit the button and push the tailgate however after that it opens with just the button. Somebody told me they think it's a safety thing but I'm not quite sure
For sure. Easy Easy fix though. Get a T-45 torx bit, loosen the passenger side tailgate strike post, move it toward the rear of the truck 1/16 to 1/8 inch and retighten. Takes about 30 seconds to accomplish. Tailgate will release every time with either push of the remote or tailgate handle, and you will not need to push forward on the tailgate to release. Also eliminates the "tailgate not closed" warning in the cluster.

Hiimkyle70

Reaction score
For sure. Easy Easy fix though. Get a T-45 torx bit, loosen the passenger side tailgate strike post, move it toward the rear of the truck 1/16 to 1/8 inch and retighten. Takes about 30 seconds to accomplish. Tailgate will release every time with either push of the remote or tailgate handle, and you will not need to push forward on the tailgate to release. Also eliminates the "tailgate not closed" warning in the cluster.
Thank you. I'll try it tomorrow

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hello Hiimkyle70,
If you decide to have your dealer address your tailgate concerns and additional assistance is needed, you can reach out to us through private message.
Laura
Ram Cares

Damion

Reaction score
Mine was wonky when I first got my truck too. Couple shots of WD40 on the latches and normal usage now it’s working perfect. I think the latches stick bit if not used for a long period. You could hear the actuators working but it wouldn’t release. Lubed up the latches and good to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online