5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate drop key fob will work on Bighorn

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not arguing with your point - I can see how this would be an annoying feature if it was happening when unintended like the examples you give. regarding not knowing it happened however don't all the trucks have a warning light for an open tailgate? My BH tells me the same as if a door was ajar.
Yes, you're right about the warning light. Problem is I've had enough false indications about the tailgate not being closed that I've become conditioned to ignore it. After a couple trips to have it adjusted I gave up. I have lots of room in my garage, so I'm not really worried about it dropping on anything if I accidentally open it with the fob. It's just an annoyance I'd rather not have. Wonder if I can disable it with alphaOBD.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
On my 2019 Bighorn there are 3 warnings if the tailgate is open - the truck icon with open tailgate is always on and the larger warnings come on when shifting into reverse. In addition a chime happens if you ignore the warnings.

DITTO ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have a clue as to where alpha obd would be able to enable this feature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the thread I linked:

Ok! Wife and kid left and I cracked a cold one and went for it.
I verified on my build sheet that I had : "Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp"
I did NOT have it on my window sticker.
Confirmed it to be CBC Config IO F pin 26 Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present: No
Changing to YES has me working!
Overhead bed lights now coming on when I open the gate as well!!

I do not have AlfaOBD so I can't check myself, but if it's set as "yes" for you, and you change it to "no" it should remove the tailgate warning lamp. I don't have the option on my window sticker, but it is on my build sheet, and it does not come on when my tailgate is down.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this feature on my Laramie and my Limited, and I'd rather not have it. With the dampened tailgate there's no way to know if you accidentally opened it while driving. Only when your back up camera comes on will you know it's open. And I've read about people having issues with accidentally pressing the fob button, and scratching the paint on the tailgate when it opens in a tight garage or parking space. I'd rather not have this, as I really don't see the point of it.
FWIW, the software won't let you drop the tailgate while moving. I've tried it. I'm guessing that it won't drop if the transmission is in gear.

I do worry that I'll forget and drop the tailgate down on my trailer jack.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038101 miles.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is not for how to make it open with the key fob.....
Everybody is talking about two completely different features in this thread, but I know what you mean. Yes, we all know how to enable/disable the tailgate ajar warning for the EVIC. This has nothing to do with what this thread is about. The remote tailgate release (sales code JKR) can be added to any DT truck by buying a fob that has the button on it, and have the dealer add the sales code and program it. The setting for it is not in the list on AlfaOBD, and I’ve been going back and forth with the developer for over a year on what this setting might be, and how to get it to populate. We both came to the conclusion that it’s possible that there is no such setting because all RF Hubs are automatically set up for it, just waiting for the signal from a programmed fob that has the button. Since AlfaOBD can’t program a fob anyway, it’s irrelevant what the setting might be because you would just have the dealer program the new fob with the JKR sales code.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@busa2009 After reading @Jimmy07 post above I misread what you wanted to accomplish. My bad. Yeah I think if you just have a key programmed (expensive test to buy a key and program it) that has the drop button it releases the tailgate. I thought you wanted to turn the light off.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lol..ooops well i called the dealer and they said they would program i don't see why they wouldn't...
did they give you a price?
If the dealership can't get money from FCA for it they will get money from you for it.

You might find a dealership that will do it pro bono for you but if they don't know you very well chances are it will cost you.

brdima

Reaction score
$89

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
did that price include cutting the new key? I'm trying to avoid calling dealer :) I know I can just swap metal key part and be done.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I think I paid around $100 for a new fob and $150 at the dealership for programming and key cutting. That is Maui, maybe mainland prices are lower.

moparleo51

Reaction score
okay so i got my new fob for the tailgate release, and took it to the dealer to have it programmed and add sales code jkr, and everything works. now all i have to do is get alfaobd and get the tailgate ajar warning activated.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Ironically I kind of wish I didn’t have this button. More than once I think I’m hitting the remote start and instead hit the tailgate button. That’s totally on me, but my fear is that I’ll someday when close to something behind or with some long load that hangs over.

Again, I’m the idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online