5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate drop key fob will work on Bighorn

c0mbatVet

Reaction score
So this guy posted on Facebook that he picked up his Bighorn Night Edition and for some reason he was given keys to a Limited, but the keys are programmed to his Bighorn. People asked and he says the tailgate drop button on the key fob works. So apparently if you can get some Laramie key fobs and program them to your Bighorn you can add that function. Screenshot_20200819-214032_Facebook.jpg

McBroom

Reaction score
OP my biggest question would be that there's a spring or a hydraulic ram in the tailgate that cushions the drop and raise of the gate. How would programing a fob to open/close the tailgate help if the internals to make the gate move are not there?
Q2 what level Bighorn does he have?

Black 20 Ram

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think there's a remote raise for the tailgate, just the drop. All it would need to do is open the latch and the tailgate will fall.

You need to get the Level 2 Equipment Group to get the dampened tailgate from the factory. I got the standard fobs (only say RAM on the back) with 4 buttons so don't know if the option is there in my BCM just waiting to be used.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is very interesting to me - I have the level 2 equipment group on my Bighorn and can confirm that all the tailgate needs to open is for the latch to be released - it already has lock/unlock from the fob so if the wiring is already there to open the latch with the proper signal that would be awesome.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only question is if it's enabled in the BCM just waiting for a fob to be programmed.

Most things seem to be enabled out based on sales code for the options that the truck came with.

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also not worth it if you have a tonneau cover that sits on top of the tailgate. Mine prevents my tailgate from falling on its own unless I pull it free of the cover first.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ver
Also not worth it if you have a tonneau cover that sits on top of the tailgate. Mine prevents my tailgate from falling on its own unless I pull it free of the cover first.
Good point - I have a topper that would also render the option unusable!

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Would be a nice thing to have, but, alas, have full Mopar Tonneau Cover................................

IMG_0862.JPG

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have this feature on my Laramie and my Limited, and I'd rather not have it. With the dampened tailgate there's no way to know if you accidentally opened it while driving. Only when your back up camera comes on will you know it's open. And I've read about people having issues with accidentally pressing the fob button, and scratching the paint on the tailgate when it opens in a tight garage or parking space. I'd rather not have this, as I really don't see the point of it.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this feature on my Laramie and my Limited, and I'd rather not have it. With the dampened tailgate there's no way to know if you accidentally opened it while driving. Only when your back up camera comes on will you know it's open. And I've read about people having issues with accidentally pressing the fob button, and scratching the paint on the tailgate when it opens in a tight garage or parking space. I'd rather not have this, as I really don't see the point of it.
Crack the fob apart and remove the rubber button so you can't accidentally press it? Don't know how effective that might be.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not arguing with your point - I can see how this would be an annoying feature if it was happening when unintended like the examples you give. regarding not knowing it happened however don't all the trucks have a warning light for an open tailgate? My BH tells me the same as if a door was ajar.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not arguing with your point - I can see how this would be an annoying feature if it was happening when unintended like the examples you give. regarding not knowing it happened however don't all the trucks have a warning light for an open tailgate? My BH tells me the same as if a door was ajar.
Not all the trucks have it. Mine doesn't. I haven't been able to figure out if I'm missing a feature on the truck or if they just didn't "turn it on" in the system.

EDIT - Never mind, just read through the latest posts on the Tailgate Ajar Warning thread. Apparently all trucks BigHorn and up have it, just not turned on for some. Seems like typical FCA quality right there. Guess I need to invest in an AlphaOBD to turn it on.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 2019 Bighorn there are 3 warnings if the tailgate is open - the truck icon with open tailgate is always on and the larger warnings come on when shifting into reverse. In addition a chime happens if you ignore the warnings.

Attachments

• tailgate.jpg
    tailgate.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 92
  • tailgate 2.jpg
    tailgate 2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 94
  • tailgate 3.jpg
    tailgate 3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 93

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m curious as to where this would be in alpha obd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 2019 Bighorn there are 3 warnings if the tailgate is open - the truck icon with open tailgate is always on and the larger warnings come on when shifting into reverse. In addition a chime happens if you ignore the warnings.
You can also acknowledge the warning with the OK button and the open tailgate picture in the center of the EVIC will go away (along with the chimes). You will still have the warning on the side of the display, though, as long as the gate is down.

I learned that picking up some furniture that was 6" longer than the bed and had to drive home with the gate down.

Users who are viewing this thread