5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway Bar Link loose

rek21

Reaction score
I apologize for the trouble, @rek21. If you would be interested in an additional layer of support while addressing this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

hi mark,

appreciate you reaching out.

I was told by the 6 dealerships I called that there was at least a 2 week wait to even look at the vehicle. I fixed the problem myself in the driveway today. it’s not hard to fix, but I’m hoping its not something that is going to become a regular thing...

thanks again mark!

Desert XJ

Reaction score
I had the same issue, dealer tightened the bolts which fixed the issue. My concern is, will the bolts loosen again? We will see...
The loosening issue might have to do with the sway bar nut tightening against the aluminum a-arm. For the same reason they tell you to re torque your lug nuts after 500 miles with brand new aluminum wheels. The aluminum is softer and needs the nut to "seat" properly to maintain grip. If you pull the nut off you can feel a slight ridge on the a-arm from the outline of the nut.
The factory sway bar link isn't tapered where it goes through the a arm allowing a lot of play if not ridiculously tight.

Cease11

Reaction score
Well I guess I’ll be going under the truck tmw just to make sure lol. Good to know though! Glad I keep up on these forums!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
hi mark,

appreciate you reaching out.

I was told by the 6 dealerships I called that there was at least a 2 week wait to even look at the vehicle. I fixed the problem myself in the driveway today. it’s not hard to fix, but I’m hoping its not something that is going to become a regular thing...

thanks again mark!

Thank you for taking the time to share this update with me, I completely understand your sentiments. If you monitor this and you continue to experience trouble, definitely let me know. I am more than happy to ensure that you have the proper support to get this taken care of for good!

Mark
RamCares

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem on a 2020? I have almost the exact sound described here and it’s progressively getting worse. It’s especially heard when the wheel is turned slightly left and on uneven surfaces.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem on a 2020? I have almost the exact sound described here and it’s progressively getting worse. It’s especially heard when the wheel is turned slightly left and on uneven surfaces.

Sorry for the trouble, @ColoradoCub! Please be sure to follow up with us via private message for further support if you plan to address this with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

tcrutch

Reaction score
My nut completely came off. Anyone know size and how to find a replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PopSonProjects

Reaction score
I dropped my ‘20 off at the dealership this morning with the same clunk. This evening they called to tell me that there was play in the sway bar endlinks and that they had to order new ones. There was zero conversation of re-torquing or repairing the factory installed links. We’ll see what happens when the parts come in a couple days from now.

Bigtone

Reaction score
There was a tech notice about the sway bar nuts. On my 2019 mine they were tight, but I had a cracking noise when my driveline would change direction, as in acceleration then decelerating. Turned out the rear control arm bolts were loose. I tightened them, but the noise came back. Dealer had to replace 2 control arms because the holes got ovaled. Hoping all the bolts are tight on my 2021.

Krootz

Reaction score
So I found this post looking for a solution to the subtle thuds and clunking over rough spots in the road. Almost like the bumps are being transmitted into my floor board and steering wheel.

I honestly think it’s the end links, but I’ve tightened everything twice with the wheels on and I can’t get a torque wrench on the sway bar (upper) nut unless I take the wheel off.
I had ORP springs installed at the dealership last month and ever since I drove off, I have heard the front end noise.

I’m gonna take the wheels off, loosen and retorque every nut and bolt under there. If that doesn’t fix it, I’m gonna disconnect my sway bar and see if I hear it still. Maybe reverse order would be smarter.

This sh!t is driving me crazy

Krootz

Reaction score
Also I saw this blurb on the bottom of the website to order to end links. Looks like FCA has updated the part number a couple of times, I’m wondering what they “updated” or improved. I’m wondering what version came on my truck since I might be ordering a couple since it’s fairly inexpensive.

Attachments

• 166E9E6E-47AE-4276-87B7-1BF383388A63.jpeg
    166E9E6E-47AE-4276-87B7-1BF383388A63.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 112

Krootz

Reaction score
Found the problem!! Dealership forgot to tighten the hub bolt on the driver side. Found it as I was literally putting the tire back on after spending an hour crawling around torque checking every single bolt.

Attachments

• 32BEFE2D-554C-4328-BF57-E7DFDEC64890.jpeg
    32BEFE2D-554C-4328-BF57-E7DFDEC64890.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 108

Krootz

Reaction score
Passenger side was tight

Attachments

• 04EE2276-6F60-49C4-A82C-B766E325D1B8.jpeg
    04EE2276-6F60-49C4-A82C-B766E325D1B8.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 47

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found the problem!! Dealership forgot to tighten the hub bolt on the driver side. Found it as I was literally putting the tire back on after spending an hour crawling around torque checking every single bolt.
Im not sure that’s the dealerships fault, they shouldn’t have to remove that to swap springs. Disconnect caliper...yes but rotor and hub no. I didn’t when I did mine. Makes me want to pull my drivers side tire and check mine.

Krootz

Reaction score
I have done a lot of suspension work over the years. F150 level kit, Silverado level kit, Tacoma 2.5” lift...never had to take the front hub off. I was thinking “there is no reason to remove this”

I know it was the dealership because it has been sounding/feeling like an end link was loose ever since I got it back. Thought they missed an end link or one of them went bad.

Nstewart18

Reaction score
I have been dealing with this problem since I got the truck, like you all said, right around 3000 miles with my ‘21 rebel. I’ve tightened the sway bar links a number of times, and now around 15k miles, it has the same symptoms without any loose sway bar links. Does anyone have suggestions or other culprits?

Krootz

Reaction score
New version of the links seem to be good. I’d buy a pair and replace

gwatt86

Reaction score
What size is the nut on the end links? I’d like to try and tighten these first.

mustangguy289

Reaction score
My rear sway bar links keep coming loose. One lost a nut so I replaced the entire link because it boogered the threads. 2 months later I hear loud clunks and rear end feels extremely stiff. Both sides are loose. Going to try to loctite this time. I am worried about the holes on the sway bar being wallered out.

Users who are viewing this thread