5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway Bar Link loose

DBCrew

Reaction score
I heard a loud clunking noise coming from the front drivers side while turning. I took my truck to the dealer and they said both of the sway bars needed to be tightened. He also said this isn't the first 2019 with this issue. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

KLRPanda

Reaction score
My truck is doing the same thing. More than likely going to jack it up this evening and check all the bolts.

Striker99

Reaction score
I heard a loud clunking noise coming from the front drivers side while turning. I took my truck to the dealer and they said both of the sway bars needed to be tightened. He also said this isn't the first 2019 with this issue. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
I had the same issue, dealer tightened the bolts which fixed the issue. My concern is, will the bolts loosen again? We will see...

Reaction score
Mine did it last week less that 3000 miles on it. Got it retorqued and is good to go now.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did any of you notice extra body roll or anything while loose? Could you tell a ride difference once tightened?

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Mine started around 2200 miles. Dealer replaced the sway bar links around 2700 miles. Now have about 4800 miles and so far no new clunks :)

tearabite

Reaction score
Same here. Tightened both side with added loc-tite
Sorry for the newbie question, but is this something an idiot like myself can do in his driveway? What do I need to tighten up and where? Mine makes this thunk noise when turning or going over uneven terrain. I'm assuming it's the same thing, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Charger68

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question, but is this something an idiot like myself can do in his driveway? What do I need to tighten up and where? Mine makes this thunk noise when turning or going over uneven terrain. I'm assuming it's the same thing, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Sway bar is 1 inch tube thats runs side to side near front tires. On the ends of the bar are sway bar links. They bolt to the lower control arms( connects tire to frame). Check the nuts that hold the links to bar and control arm.

d_THRILL

Reaction score

Thanks!

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
At about 8,000 miles my truck started doing this same single knock when turning the steering wheel either left or right at slower speeds. Today took it to the dealership for them to diagnose and repair this issue. Just got my truck back and the issue was a number of loose fasteners. The following six (6) separate fastener types needed to be re-torqued to spec.

1. Lower Control Arm Nuts: 100 N-m
2. Shock Absorber Lower Bolt: 168 N-m
3. Stabilizer Bar Bolts: 45 N-m
4. Stabilizer Bar Link Lower Nut: 119 N-m
5. Stabilizer Bar Link Upper Nut (18mm): 93 N-m
6. Stabilizer Bar Link Upper Nut (19mm): 100 N-m

Sure seems like a lot of fasteners - too many, in fact. Doesn't seem normal?!? I rarely hear of this needing to be done on a new vehicle. Or maybe it does need doing, but nobody ever does it or knows because it is caught when the vehicle's in for tires, alignment, or suspension work...

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had this clunk for awhile now - at 9,000 miles. Took it to the Ram truck center today and the tech rode with me then put it up on the lift to inspect. They're replacing both sway bars on Friday.

rek21

Reaction score
got the same clunk at about 3000 miles. dealer said they tightened all bolts to spec and the clunk disappeared.

clunk has started again...

hoping the dealership will replace the links at this point instead of just torquing to spec.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
got the same clunk at about 3000 miles. dealer said they tightened all bolts to spec and the clunk disappeared.

clunk has started again...

hoping the dealership will replace the links at this point instead of just torquing to spec.

I apologize for the trouble, @rek21. If you would be interested in an additional layer of support while addressing this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread