5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspected Rear Differential issues

psheridan1964

Reaction score
Rear Diff Related - I am getting a noise out of the rear end when making low speed turns. Sounds like a swishing noise. I checked the backer plates behind the brake rotors and the clearance is fine. Bought truck (2019 Ram 1500 with 3.21 rear end) with 23,000 miles. It now has 32,000 and noise is more noticeable but doesn't do it all the time. Almost feels like the limited slip is acting up/binding. I am going to drain it and check for metal on plug and may pull off diff cover to inspect. The rear end has an orange sealant around the cover. Does not look like a factory seal. Someone may have already been into it prior to my ownership, but I would figure I would see if anyone could give me their input on this issue.
Exact same as my truck was doing, it was dropped off today, I was told bearings in rear diff all need replacement. This is less than 3300 miles. Not a happy customer, and keeping my eyes on the 2022 Tundra

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exact same as my truck was doing, it was dropped off today, I was told bearings in rear diff all need replacement. This is less than 3300 miles. Not a happy customer, and keeping my eyes on the 2022 Tundra

That's horrible. The bearings would need to be replaced...if something put too much stress on them. So, just replacing the bearings may mask the symptoms for a bit, but not cure the underlying issue. (AIUI: I'm not a pro- tech.)

A lot of careful fitment goes into making a rear diff run correctly. The backlash has to be right as does the pinion gear torque. Who knows? Maybe the axles are bent??? I'd be looking for a whole new rear axle/diff assembly. Let Ram have the old one and figure it out while you get a new one.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You think buy a all new first model year run truck will be without issues?

That’s what warranties are for. My new outback blew out it’s wheel bearings in 10k. Things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If you're thinking of getting a 2022 Tundra, you might want to keep your eyes closed. 🤣

fitz7

Reaction score
Rear Diff Related - I am getting a noise out of the rear end when making low speed turns. Sounds like a swishing noise. I checked the backer plates behind the brake rotors and the clearance is fine. Bought truck (2019 Ram 1500 with 3.21 rear end) with 23,000 miles. It now has 32,000 and noise is more noticeable but doesn't do it all the time. Almost feels like the limited slip is acting up/binding. I am going to drain it and check for metal on plug and may pull off diff cover to inspect. The rear end has an orange sealant around the cover. Does not look like a factory seal. Someone may have already been into it prior to my ownership, but I would figure I would see if anyone could give me their input on this issue.
My diff just blew at 46,500 km. 2,500 km b4 it was supposed to have it looked at as per maintenance. They tried to void my warranty because they said some type of cap was missing after it blew but i never had anyone service it b4. Burned oil randomly shot out my diff so i pulled into a mechanic who only took it apart once contacting dodge. I even got th emechanic to write that he contacted dodge on the receipt b4 commencing work. Dodge authorized him to inspect it and refill the oil and send me on my way. Checked it over 10 hrs at 3 different gas stations. No bruning smell, no heat when i touched the diff, no noise.... then suddenly it blew in the middle of nowhere strwnding me in a snowstorm. Then when dodge i apected it days later they tried to void my wqrranty because they claimed a part was missing. I would argue whatever was missing blew out the backaide when my diff blew or during towing. Thw only thing that saved me owing them over 4k was the mechanic i asked to make a note that he did in fact contact a dodge dealership regarding warranty becauae i knew my powertrain was still covered. I don't trust my truck now ans will sell upon repairs. Is it poasible my 2019 ram 1500 warlock was a part od the 2018/2019 ram 1500 recalls? I am located in canada.

RamCares

Reaction score
My diff just blew at 46,500 km. 2,500 km b4 it was supposed to have it looked at as per maintenance. They tried to void my warranty because they said some type of cap was missing after it blew but i never had anyone service it b4. Burned oil randomly shot out my diff so i pulled into a mechanic who only took it apart once contacting dodge. I even got th emechanic to write that he contacted dodge on the receipt b4 commencing work. Dodge authorized him to inspect it and refill the oil and send me on my way. Checked it over 10 hrs at 3 different gas stations. No bruning smell, no heat when i touched the diff, no noise.... then suddenly it blew in the middle of nowhere strwnding me in a snowstorm. Then when dodge i apected it days later they tried to void my wqrranty because they claimed a part was missing. I would argue whatever was missing blew out the backaide when my diff blew or during towing. Thw only thing that saved me owing them over 4k was the mechanic i asked to make a note that he did in fact contact a dodge dealership regarding warranty becauae i knew my powertrain was still covered. I don't trust my truck now ans will sell upon repairs. Is it poasible my 2019 ram 1500 warlock was a part od the 2018/2019 ram 1500 recalls? I am located in canada.
Hey there,

This sounds incredibly frustrating. We'd recommend reaching out Ram Customer Care in Canada. They can be reached via direct messaging on Facebook here: Ram Trucks Canada or by phone here: 1-800-465-2001

Callie
Ram Cares USA

Users who are viewing this thread