5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspected Rear Differential issues

Crushermansam

Reaction score
Hello fellow Ram Lovers
Let’s get right into it.
2019 ram 1500 bighorn sport 5.7 Hemi 3.92 with e locker. 6.7 bed 6789kms

towing my loaded up travel trailer (6500 pounds). Truck loaded with about 300 pounds of gear in bed and just my self in cab (160 pounds)
I’m located in northern bc (lots of hills some long step grade climbs) good test for the Hemi.
after about an 1.5 hrs. im getting a lot of hot gear oil smell in cab while travailing down highway. Differential too hot to touch when stopped to check out wtf.
oil level is about an 1/4 inch from fill hole.
And is original oil from factory.

Any body else experiencing same issues?

My 4th gen ram with 3.92 lsd never gave problems towing the same trailer.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rollint

Reaction score
Hello fellow Ram Lovers
Let’s get right into it.
2019 ram 1500 bighorn sport 5.7 Hemi 3.92 with e locker. 6.7 bed 6789kms

towing my loaded up travel trailer (6500 pounds). Truck loaded with about 300 pounds of gear in bed and just my self in cab (160 pounds)
I’m located in northern bc (lots of hills some long step grade climbs) good test for the Hemi.
after about an 1.5 hrs. im getting a lot of hot gear oil smell in cab while travailing down highway. Differential too hot to touch when stopped to check out wtf.
oil level is about an 1/4 inch from fill hole.
And is original oil from factory.

Any body else experiencing same issues?

My 4th gen ram with 3.92 lsd never gave problems towing the same trailer.

any input would be greatly appreciated.
On my first long highway drive I got a hot oil smell too. I didn't think to check the rear diff. Hmm interesting. I can't add anything but I'll be watching to see what others say

Polo08816

Reaction score
If I smelled burning oil during a drive, I wouldn't think it's a differential issue. I would think oil may be dropping onto an exhaust manifold or something...

Crushermansam

Reaction score
If I smelled burning oil during a drive, I wouldn't think it's a differential issue. I would think oil may be dropping onto an exhaust manifold or something...
I did consider that, I had a good look underneath the truck and couldn’t see anything leaking anywhere. I work with heavy equipment and gravel crushing Equipment that run on all sorts of different gear oils. I Come home smelling like it every day. I know the smell of hot gear oil I was not smelling motor oil or trans oil
Rear diff was too hot to touch.

Last edited:

Crushermansam

Reaction score
On my first long highway drive I got a hot oil smell too. I didn't think to check the rear diff. Hmm interesting. I can't add anything but I'll be watching to see what others say
It’s booked in to see the doctor on the 13th. I will post info if they figure anything out

Crushermansam

Reaction score
My ram dealer says nothing is wrong. they even said the oil is fine even tho it’s black and burnt. Pretty disgusted with the service from the dealer

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My ram dealer says nothing is wrong. they even said the oil is fine even tho it’s black and burnt. Pretty disgusted with the service from the dealer

I am deeply sorry for the frustration, @Crushermansam. We kindly recommend following up with our Canadian Customer Care team for further support. You may either call 1-800-361-3700 or submit your info at https://forms.chryslercanada.ca/contact/en/contactCCI.php?brand=dodge to receive an email follow up.

Mark
RamCares

Jrholt

Reaction score
Just to let you know, I have a 2020 Ram with 5300 miles and it is at the dealer getting a complete rear axle rebuild. I’ve had nothing but issues out of this POS...gave Ram a try...total crap. I was told that the factory failed to add friction modifier which caused rear diff issues. This is the second dealer that has looked at it for the same issue but hey, at least this one is trying to make it right by rebuilding it. I just have a feeling that it will never be the same as new....

Crushermansam

Reaction score
Just to let you know, I have a 2020 Ram with 5300 miles and it is at the dealer getting a complete rear axle rebuild. I’ve had nothing but issues out of this POS...gave Ram a try...total crap. I was told that the factory failed to add friction modifier which caused rear diff issues. This is the second dealer that has looked at it for the same issue but hey, at least this one is trying to make it right by rebuilding it. I just have a feeling that it will never be the same as new....
Thank you for your reply.
im a fan of Ram and old fords. I feel in my case it’s more of Stealership issue.
I have quite a few friends with new pickups and everyone that owns a GM product has issues with them (main wiring harness to cab. All sorts of other electrical issues)
There isn’t many people on here complaining about drivetrain issues with there rams.
atleast they have Acknowledged that there is real issues with your truck and are fixing it
if they do a complete rebuild for you and the job is done correct your rear end will be as good as new.

The Critic

Reaction score
Clearly, something is wrong. I just changed the rear diff oil on my 3.21 LSD at 5740 miles and the oil was a "milky yellow/orange" and no debris was on the drain plug.

Crushermansam

Reaction score
Clearly, something is wrong. I just changed the rear diff oil on my 3.21 LSD at 5740 miles and the oil was a "milky yellow/orange" and no debris was on the drain plug.
Sorry it’s been awhile since I’ve been on here. Have you had any lucky having your truck fixed?

Crushermansam

Reaction score
Meanwhile, what about YOUR truck???
Meanwhile. My truck has been parked. Changed the differential oil and then maybe put 200kms on it since (I’m lucky I have a work truck). I guess I’m waiting to pull another trailer and see how hot it gets. Or maybe it will pile up and the stealership will do something about it then. I live in a pretty remote area. It’s a couple hours drive to another Ram dealership, otherwise I think I would have just took it to another dealer already.

Reaction score
Rear Diff Related - I am getting a noise out of the rear end when making low speed turns. Sounds like a swishing noise. I checked the backer plates behind the brake rotors and the clearance is fine. Bought truck (2019 Ram 1500 with 3.21 rear end) with 23,000 miles. It now has 32,000 and noise is more noticeable but doesn't do it all the time. Almost feels like the limited slip is acting up/binding. I am going to drain it and check for metal on plug and may pull off diff cover to inspect. The rear end has an orange sealant around the cover. Does not look like a factory seal. Someone may have already been into it prior to my ownership, but I would figure I would see if anyone could give me their input on this issue.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello @GratefulDenglish,

Should you elect to confer with your dealer not his we would love to be of assistance! Please send us a private message to get started.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Rear Diff Related - I am getting a noise out of the rear end when making low speed turns. Sounds like a swishing noise. I checked the backer plates behind the brake rotors and the clearance is fine. Bought truck (2019 Ram 1500 with 3.21 rear end) with 23,000 miles. It now has 32,000 and noise is more noticeable but doesn't do it all the time. Almost feels like the limited slip is acting up/binding. I am going to drain it and check for metal on plug and may pull off diff cover to inspect. The rear end has an orange sealant around the cover. Does not look like a factory seal. Someone may have already been into it prior to my ownership, but I would figure I would see if anyone could give me their input on this issue.
My guess based on the evidence you presented, is that someone changed the fluid but didn't put enough friction modifier in.

Reactions: c3k

BowDown

Reaction score
Lack of friction modifier isn't going to cause overheating, just chattering when making sharp turns.
Heat is coming from the crush depth being too tight or the backlash too tight.

I'd disconnect the driveshaft, lift the rear and remove the rear wheels and see how much effort turning the pinion yoke takes.
Another option is that if this only occurs when towing, try a heavier gear oil.

You could have gear oil overheating and the vapor coming from the vent on the top of the pumpkin and that's what you are smelling but I agree with the poster that said if you can smell it, its burning on something

Last edited:

IMIVX

Reaction score
My guess based on the evidence you presented, is that someone changed the fluid but didn't put enough friction modifier in.
Is this done at the factory? I have my 2019 Ram Laramie - Anti-spin differential rear axle with 30K miles at the dealer now. I would expect them to know these things, but 4 hours later they gave me a loner and said they were going to open the differential tomorrow. This is the second time I've asked them about it. The first time they drove it with under 20K miles on it and did not hear anything and said to bring it back if it keeps doing it. They can hear it now.

IMIVX

Reaction score
Is this done at the factory? I have my 2019 Ram Laramie - Anti-spin differential rear axle with 30K miles at the dealer now. I would expect them to know these things, but 4 hours later they gave me a loner and said they were going to open the differential tomorrow. This is the second time I've asked them about it. The first time they drove it with under 20K miles on it and did not hear anything and said to bring it back if it keeps doing it. They can hear it now.

"What happens if you don't use limited slip additive?
Friction modifier makes the fluid “slicker” so without the additive the limited slip clutches will grab and it will shudder going around tight turns. And yes, eventually it will destroy the clutches and render the limited slip useless."

IMIVX

Reaction score
"What happens if you don't use limited slip additive?
Friction modifier makes the fluid “slicker” so without the additive the limited slip clutches will grab and it will shudder going around tight turns. And yes, eventually it will destroy the clutches and render the limited slip useless."
They opened the differential and determined the fluid was low. They refilled and added the LSD additive and all was quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread