5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunshade/Sun Roof Won't Open

ke5SS

Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me 2021 RAM Limited earlier this week. It was snowing on the day I checked it out so the one thing I wasn't able to check was the sunroof.

Today was the first day it was nice enough to test the sunroof. I went to open it and nothing happened. I then went to check the sun shade and close it (it had been in the fully open position) and nothing happened.

All other buttons in the overhead control panel work except ones related to the dual pane sunroof (Tilt, Sunroof, Shade). I read a few other threads on here and did what those folks did - checked fuses, took off the control panel and check the connections, etc. Nothing is working.

The dealership I purchased it from is 1.5 hours away so I'd like to avoid driving there if possible. Any other ideas what I could check?

Will any dealership repair this free of cost since I'm still under the factory warranty?

Appreciate it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be a nice day to rest th sunroof.

Sucks it doesn't work. Unless high miles, should still be under factory warranty so take it to any Dodge/Ram dealer.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have one, so haven't read that part of the manual, but could there be unexpected safety interlocks? Like maybe you need to have the doors all locked. Or maybe there's a power window disable switch on the driver's door.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't have one, so haven't read that part of the manual, but could there be unexpected safety interlocks? Like maybe you need to have the doors all locked. Or maybe there's a power window disable switch on the driver's door.
No.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me 2021 RAM Limited earlier this week. It was snowing on the day I checked it out so the one thing I wasn't able to check was the sunroof.

Today was the first day it was nice enough to test the sunroof. I went to open it and nothing happened. I then went to check the sun shade and close it (it had been in the fully open position) and nothing happened.

All other buttons in the overhead control panel work except ones related to the dual pane sunroof (Tilt, Sunroof, Shade). I read a few other threads on here and did what those folks did - checked fuses, took off the control panel and check the connections, etc. Nothing is working.

The dealership I purchased it from is 1.5 hours away so I'd like to avoid driving there if possible. Any other ideas what I could check?

Will any dealership repair this free of cost since I'm still under the factory warranty?

Appreciate it.
Hey there,

We're sorry to hear about this. If you'd like some assistance once your vehicle is at the dealership, please reach out! We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

ke5SS

Reaction score
@Rick3478 - I tried that as a first step, but no go.

I'm at a bit of a loss. I made an appointment at the Dealership for next Thursday so hopefully they can resolve it quickly.

@RamCares - will do - thanks for your help.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a couple of things to look for. I would start by trying to calibrate the system 1st.

Attachments

• SUNSHADE.pdf
    209.4 KB · Views: 47
  • CALIBRATION.pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 37

Quint

Reaction score
I'll just throw out the obvious one. If it was snowing when you bought it and you are living in a cold state, have you tried getting the truck washed and then trying the sunroof immediately afterward? It's possible that everything is frozen, such as when your windows won't open for weeks on end due to temps consistently below freezing.

ke5SS

Reaction score

ke5SS

Reaction score
I'll just throw out the obvious one. If it was snowing when you bought it and you are living in a cold state, have you tried getting the truck washed and then trying the sunroof immediately afterward? It's possible that everything is frozen, such as when your windows won't open for weeks on end due to temps consistently below freezing.

It's warmed up so I don't think that's it. The shade isn't working either which shouldn't be impacted by weather conditions.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When you say "new to me" I am assuming that the truck itself is used. Before you make the trip back to the dealer, my suggestion would be to call their Service Dept and ask if they did any inspection or prep to the truck. Also, if it was traded in by a current customer, maybe they have repair/diag records

ke5SS

Reaction score
UPDATE: I got back from the dealership. They said the motor was bad and replaced it. However, they said that it looked like there was a leak back there and to take it to another dealership that does auto body work. I asked more questions about where the leak was coming from and he just mentioned the sunroof, but said he couldn't give me any more details because they don't do body work - so the info was somewhat vague.

I inspected the seals up around the sunroof and everything looks fine. I also checked the drain plus and all of them appear to be seated corrected into the frame. There is no wetness or visual evidence of water leaks.

Are there any other items I should inspect myself? Where does the sunroof motor sit in the roof?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Center, drive side, or passenger side?
Middle of the truck, the area isn't that big. You probably can pull down on the headliner ar the rear of the sunroof and see them.

ke5SS

Reaction score
Welp. I went out today and did an inspection to look for water leaks. I checked the brake light and everything there seemed dry/normal. However, I realized that my rear passenger seat carpet area is very wet and several items under my rear seat storage area were wet......sigh......

I had some issues with my prior RAM and I traded it in for a newer one hoping to get away from issues. I plan to call the dealer tomorrow, but this sucks. I live a good 45 min drive away from the dealer so each day I drive out there ends up being a wasted day for me.

Splatter

Reaction score
Here is a couple of things to look for. I would start by trying to calibrate the system 1st.
This re-initialization and object detection calibration procedure worked for me!!!!! Man, thanks for posting this. I’ve been searching for an answer for years! Tried everything, including replacing the overhead console and the switches in the console, short of new motor, tracing wires, or paying the dealership.

Surprised that the solution is not more well known and immediately stickied at the top of every thread about the sunroof issue.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread