5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunroof Drain Tubes Issues VIDEO

IA_Dawg

Reaction score
My dealership reseated my plugs from the inside. They just released the back seats and did it.

RAMREB

Reaction score
My dealership reseated my plugs from the inside. They just released the back seats and did it.

Not sure if you could release the seats on the Rebels and other trim level trucks without reclining rear seats.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is how mine look. Just took delivery yesterday of my Longhorn manufactured 8/18. Can someone chime in and tell me if what I'm looking at here is faulty? This is from my driver's side. My left side is similar but I can see the white hose budging out from the black rubber plugs. I have to go back to dealer tomorrow because my pano roof controls are in operable so I'll also bring this up if you guys think this looks wrong in my picture. 20181216_172853.jpg

RAMREB

Reaction score
This is how mine look. Just took delivery yesterday of my Longhorn manufactured 8/18. Can someone chime in and tell me if what I'm looking at here is faulty? This is from my driver's side. My left side is similar but I can see the white hose budging out from the black rubber plugs. I have to go back to dealer tomorrow because my pano roof controls are in operable so I'll also bring this up if you guys think this looks wrong in my picture.

Its hard to tell from that angle and in the dark but it looks like the bottom is seated but the top of the grommet may be out a bit. If your going to the dealership anyway wouldn't hurt to bring it up and have them verify.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its hard to tell from that angle and in the dark but it looks like the bottom is seated but the top of the grommet may be out a bit. If your going to the dealership anyway wouldn't hurt to bring it up and have them verify.
Thank you for your video and your response. It appears on second check that mine appear hanging just like yours so I'll bring it up with the dealer tomorrow and I'll check back with ya all!

cruz-in

Reaction score
This is how mine look. Just took delivery yesterday of my Longhorn manufactured 8/18. Can someone chime in and tell me if what I'm looking at here is faulty? This is from my driver's side. My left side is similar but I can see the white hose budging out from the black rubber plugs. I have to go back to dealer tomorrow because my pano roof controls are in operable so I'll also bring this up if you guys think this looks wrong in my picture. View attachment 10859

That is interesting. We just picked up a Longhorn that was built on 08/18. I suspect they build them in batches and the 18th of August was Longhorn day...Our grommets appear to be properly seated.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is interesting. We just picked up a Longhorn that was built on 08/18. I suspect they build them in batches and the 18th of August was Longhorn day...Our grommets appear to be properly seated.

I got the e-tourqe as well, I saw that in your profile note. I love the ride except it's just been bittersweet knowing I'll blow at least a half day of work tomorrow in the shop. It appears my passenger power seat is also not fully moving back on the track. Ughhh. I've made the decision not to go back to the same delearship I bought the truck at yesterday. I'll drive an extra distance to one where I know there service department gets excellent reviews. If my seller delearship was that negligent in final checks I don't want anyone there putting hands on it at this point.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
My Longborn was a late September build. I just found last night that my drain tube grommets were not seated properly. I laid underneath the bed and could barely reach them, so I lowered the air suspension to entry exit mode which helped.

I tried as best I could to get the rubber grommets seated up against the back wall of the cab. I found it very difficult to do.

I took pictures of the job I did. Do they look good enough not to allow water or wind to intrude into the cabin? I couldn't get them any better than this. Maybe I'll have to release the back seat and try and get them better from the inside. You have to love these assembly line workers who just don't give a ____! Much less the quality inspection process.

FCA has a world class design. They need way better assembly quality and workers and management who cares.

My truck stickered just under $70,000. Unacceptable quality. 20181216_222330.jpg 20181216_222224.jpg

RAMREB

Reaction score
My Longborn was a late September build. I just found last night that my drain tube grommets were not seated properly. I laid underneath the bed and could barely reach them, so I lowered the air suspension to entry exit mode which helped.

I tried as best I could to get the rubber grommets seated up against the back wall of the cab. I found it very difficult to do.

I took pictures of the job I did. Do they look good enough not to allow water or wind to intrude into the cabin? I couldn't get them any better than this. Maybe I'll have to release the back seat and try and get them better from the inside. You have to love these assembly line workers who just don't give a ____! Much less the quality inspection process.

FCA has a world class design. They need way better assembly quality and workers and management who cares.

My truck stickered just under $70,000. Unacceptable quality.

That is about as good as I could get them seated as well. I am hoping it is adequate although the next car wash/significant rain should tell. You are at an advantage to this problem with your Longhorn trim package truck. You should be able to fold the rear seat backs down and access the plugs from the inside of the cab to take another look at them.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
That is about as good as I could get them seated as well. I am hoping it is adequate although the next car wash/significant rain should tell. You are at an advantage to this problem with your Longhorn trim package truck. You should be able to fold the rear seat backs down and access the plugs from the inside of the cab to take another look at them.
I really had to work at them to get them seated against the back wall of the cab. I thought the rubber grommets were going to be softer than they were. My fingers were killing me after I laid there and struggled with the grommets. The left grommet (drivers side) was much worse than the right grommet. It was only seated against the hole in the cab wall at one small edge on its right side. The left side of it was completely popped out. The right side grommet (passengers side green stripe) bottom was in but the top was hanging out.

I can’t believe they let the truck off the assembly line like that!

I never looked at the drain tube grommets before last night. I wonder if the drain tubes are so stiff and rigid that the grommets pop out by themselves from vibration? Or was it just poor quality and lack of care on the assembly line?

RAMREB

Reaction score
I never looked at the drain tube grommets before last night. I wonder if the drain tubes are so stiff and rigid that the grommets pop out by themselves from vibration? Or was it just poor quality and lack of care on the assembly line?

I was questioning this myself and am unsure. I kind of want to take a ride to my local dealership and take a walk to see what the fresh on the lot trucks look like.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I was questioning this myself and am unsure. I kind of want to take a ride to my local dealership and take a walk to see what the fresh on the lot trucks look like.
It sure would be interesting to know... If it is the case that the drain tube grommets are popping out, then I hope some modification would be made to rectify the issue.

Paulny

Reaction score

My truck stickered just under $70,000. Unacceptable quality. View attachment 10964 View attachment 10965

I just picked up my new Rebel this past Friday. Immediately upon returning home, I noticed both of my drain grommets were not seated and hanging out as well. Both myself and my skinny armed girlfriend worked hard to get them seated as tightly as possible, and they look exactly like yours. I think because of the downward angle of the hard plastic drain tube, it puts pressure on the top of the grommet so it doesn't sit perfectly flush. I don't even think you could get them seated any better by manipulating from inside the cabin due to the down force of the plastic tube. Hopefully, they are sealed good enough but I plan on going to my local dealer tomorrow and looking at other trucks for comparison and mentioning this to my service manager. Like yourself and others, my concern is how will these grommets hold up over time? Are they properly sealing water since they are not sitting perfectly flush? Will any kind of moderate or worse water pressure still get into the cabin? I just purchased a $63500 truck and it's a shame that we all are even having this conversation. Shame on you FCA.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I just picked up my new Rebel this past Friday. Immediately upon returning home, I noticed both of my drain grommets were not seated and hanging out as well. Both myself and my skinny armed girlfriend worked hard to get them seated as tightly as possible, and they look exactly like yours. I think because of the downward angle of the hard plastic drain tube, it puts pressure on the top of the grommet so it doesn't sit perfectly flush. I don't even think you could get them seated any better by manipulating from inside the cabin due to the down force of the plastic tube. Hopefully, they are sealed good enough but I plan on going to my local dealer tomorrow and looking at other trucks for comparison and mentioning this to my service manager. Like yourself and others, my concern is how will these grommets hold up over time? Are they properly sealing water since they are not sitting perfectly flush? Will any kind of moderate or worse water pressure still get into the cabin? I just purchased a $63500 truck and it's a shame that we all are even having this conversation. Shame on you FCA.
No doubt it's a shame. My truck was just a few dollars under $70,000. I have so many hours into it fixing things like these drain tubes, not to mention squeaks and rattles. I'm very disappointed with the quality.

FCA has definitely got a winner with innovation and design (it's world class), but assembly quality is abysmal.

Apparently some line workers just don't care and management doesn't control quality of assembly.

Ryan Nagode of FCA was instrumental in the 1500 interior design. He'd be apalled if he heard some of the noises that my interior makes that he didn't design in because of poor assembly quality.

FCA expects the dealers to fix this slop for us. Dealer personnel are not trained and qualified to tear apart and fix what the assembly line put together wrong. That's just asking for more of a mess.

Alrighty, enough of my rant. Sorry, but for what we pay, I expect more... At least a quality build.

Users who are viewing this thread