5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sun shade recommendation

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Edit to mention this Carhart version is made by Covercraft.
My Carhart one arrived from autoanything. I haven't had a chance to use it in the heat yet, but I'm satisfied with the fit. So small openings around the middle sensor, but I think it works. Pics attached. View attachment 24451 View attachment 24452 View attachment 24453 View attachment 24454 View attachment 24455 View attachment 24456 View attachment 24457
Yeah - personally, I think it would be impossible to get it into or out of position if it were any bigger. it sits pretty snug between that massive overhead sensor/console and the grab handles at the doors.

Chrisdp23

Reaction score

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a HeatShield in my Chevrolet Z71, I liked it so much I got one for my RAM as well. They have an option when you check out for with or without the Advanced Safety Group.

RPeezy

Reaction score
Unfortunately we are limited in my State to I think 35% on the front side windows. Nothing permitted on windshield. I will get the front sides tented soon. The rear side windows are already dark from the factory. Do you think a ceramic tent would help on those windows?

You can get clear ceramic without tint, and it will block just as much heat. It can be applied over existing factory tint, windshield, etc.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edit to mention this Carhart version is made by Covercraft.
My Carhart one arrived from autoanything. I haven't had a chance to use it in the heat yet, but I'm satisfied with the fit. So small openings around the middle sensor, but I think it works. Pics attached. View attachment 24451 View attachment 24452 View attachment 24453 View attachment 24454 View attachment 24455 View attachment 24456 View attachment 24457
That looks really good. It's definitely on my short list. Thanks for the pics!

dsn112

Reaction score
Unfortunately we are limited in my State to I think 35% on the front side windows. Nothing permitted on windshield. I will get the front sides tented soon. The rear side windows are already dark from the factory. Do you think a ceramic tent would help on those windows?

If you did 70% on the front windows and windshield of ceramic, it cut the heat and UV, and be near unnoticeable to cops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayneli

Reaction score

I was told tint is not permitted on windshield however clear film is still OK.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That film had better be optically correct without distortion. I spend a lot of time looking out the windshield and that would drive me nuts if it wasn't. How well would the clear film work with polarized sunglasses?

verter

Reaction score
That film had better be optically correct without distortion. I spend a lot of time looking out the windshield and that would drive me nuts if it wasn't. How well would the clear film work with polarized sunglasses?
I have 70% film on my windshield. Without polarized sunglasses, you can't see any difference, no distortions. With p. sunglasses you see discolorations on the film and dark road spots look purple. I don't mind it though.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You can get ceramic film that blocks 99% of UV and 80% of Infrared (which is heat). At least, I've seen one (CarbonTek, IIRC) that is that much. There may be other brands that block even more.

The one I looked at has film as light as 95% (i.e. only blocks 5% of visible light, but still blocks 80% of IR). I would think that would be basically unnoticeable on a windshield. If we didn't have state inspection stickers on the windshield here, I would get that.

The Virginia limit for front windows is 50%. I think I'm going to get 50% all the way around (except the windshield) and then maybe a sun shade (a la this thread) for the windshield. Blocking 80% of IR all the way around should make a big difference in how hot it gets inside. And 50% on the back and rear sides should result in a final of about 9-10% of visible light coming through those, which I think will look nice, too.

Biscuitz23

Reaction score
Some folks do Air 80 on their front windshield. I thought about it but I mean a sun shade would be the cheaper alternative to me.

shaveman

Reaction score
I chatted with Covercraft and the gave me the following model numbers:

For trucks with the 10" sensor Part # UV11587
For trucks with the 5" sensor Part # UV11586

Price was $66 on their website. https://www.covercraft.com
What options determine whether you have a 10" or 5" sensor. Pretty sure mine is 5" as i don't have the safety features, but haven't measured.

phenegar

Reaction score
What options determine whether you have a 10" or 5" sensor. Pretty sure mine is 5" as i don't have the safety features, but haven't measured.
I have the advanced safety group and the larger sensor. Not sure which options require the larger sensor though.

Users who are viewing this thread