5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sun shade recommendation

phenegar

Reaction score
Just got a new Laramie and need to get a sun shade for the windshield. I have the advanced safety group. Any recommendations?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a new Laramie and need to get a sun shade for the windshield. I have the advanced safety group. Any recommendations?
I bought a Covercraft UVS100 for mine. It fits great, and it should hold up well (I’ve used them for at least ten years on previous vehicles). When folded, there’s just enough room to rest it below the passenger side rear seat (on top of the storage area).

phenegar

Reaction score
I bought a Covercraft UVS100 for mine. It fits great, and it should hold up well (I’ve used them for at least ten years on previous vehicles). When folded, there’s just enough room to rest it below the passenger side rear seat (on top of the storage area).
Thanks, Does if do a good job reflecting the heat? I had one of those for my car that was blue and it didn't. Got so hot you couldn't touch it. Maybe I should have gotten a silver one.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Does if do a good job reflecting the heat? I had one of those for my car that was blue and it didn't. Got so hot you couldn't touch it. Maybe I should have gotten a silver one.
It does a good job. The silver side can get very hot here in Texas, but the felt backing stays relatively cool. We've only owned silver, so I can't speak for other colors. I greatly prefer this 'heavy' folding design over the soft roll-up type. We use one for my wife's Audi, too.

phenegar

Reaction score
It does a good job. The silver side can get very hot here in Texas, but the felt backing stays relatively cool. We've only owned silver, so I can't speak for other colors. I greatly prefer this 'heavy' folding design over the soft roll-up type. We use one for my wife's Audi, too.
Thanks I'll give it a try.

jmoor126

Reaction score
I tinted all windows (20%) including my front windshield (70%) with a ceramic tint. It drops the temperature significantly when it is hot outside. It is one of my must haves for all vehicles.

phenegar

Reaction score
I tinted all windows (20%) including my front windshield (70%) with a ceramic tint. It drops the temperature significantly when it is hot outside. It is one of my must haves for all vehicles.
Unfortunately we are limited in my State to I think 35% on the front side windows. Nothing permitted on windshield. I will get the front sides tented soon. The rear side windows are already dark from the factory. Do you think a ceramic tent would help on those windows?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Carhart one ordered from Autoanything. I'll let you know how I like it when it arrives.

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
I ordered from amazon yesterday, s/b here today
Road Charms

Windshield Sun Shade - Jumbo XL (70 x 35 inches) Car Window Shade - Easy to Use Folding Shade Nylon UV Protector - Keeps Car Cool - Pop-Up Style - Great Fit for Vans, SUVs and Trucks

phenegar

Reaction score
I ordered from amazon yesterday, s/b here today
Road Charms

Windshield Sun Shade - Jumbo XL (70 x 35 inches) Car Window Shade - Easy to Use Folding Shade Nylon UV Protector - Keeps Car Cool - Pop-Up Style - Great Fit for Vans, SUVs and Trucks
please let me know what you think of it.

phenegar

Reaction score
I chatted with Covercraft and the gave me the following model numbers:

For trucks with the 10" sensor Part # UV11587
For trucks with the 5" sensor Part # UV11586

Price was $66 on their website. https://www.covercraft.com

Last edited:

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Covercraft is the best fit and look I've found. Used them in several vehicles over the years. But using anything is better than nothing.

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
please let me know what you think of it.
Its not bad for the price, its easy to put in. And stores in the door or really anywhere. Looks to be about 10” dia in the case and is flexible. I’ll let u know how long it lasts. So far for 29 bucks delivered I’m not disappointed.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Bought mine off amazon for less than $15. Similar to the pics above, folds up really easy and I can put it up myself pretty easily. My costco had one similar for $10.

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. They were very helpful. I have the adaptive cruise control so my sensor is twice as big as your. I think flexible design like yours would be an issue. I'm going with the Covercraft.
what? 62k msrp and mine doesnt come with the fancy cruise? I guess I’ll have to keep clicking the - button on the steering wheel like the ole days.

Upon further review, my “jumbo” shade is too big. the two hoops over lap too much and they have a tendency to oil can and pop out! I’ll probablu order the ten dollar ones next

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edit to mention this Carhart version is made by Covercraft.
My Carhart one arrived from autoanything. I haven't had a chance to use it in the heat yet, but I'm satisfied with the fit. So small openings around the middle sensor, but I think it works. Pics attached. 20190508_104149.jpg 20190508_104105.jpg 20190508_104037.jpg 20190508_104045.jpg 20190508_104028.jpg 20190508_103822.jpg 20190508_103845.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread