5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sudden Acceleration Multiple Times eTorque Malfunction?

Derek916

Reaction score
Today I was pulling off of my driveway today and my truck wouldn't stop trying to accelerate. I am aware of the common eTorque acceleration issue so I know not to give it gas right away when pulling from a stop. I pulled my dash cam video and you can see all of the times the truck was wanting to accelerate, and I was able to stop it with my foot on the break. Towards the end when it started revving up I turned the truck off. I've been trying to think if maybe I had my foot on both the accelerator and the break, but that is unlikely as I believe that if I had I would of noticed the acceleration coming out of park. No error codes were thrown on my truck. My only guess is that this is an issue with the eTorque system.

Derek916

Reaction score
I went out to test if my feet were the culprit and nope. The accelerator pedal is actually placed deeper than the break pedal so it would be pretty hard to hit both the break and accelerator at the same time. Someone on Reddit mentioned there was a recall on floor mats but that was for 2019 and 2020. I suppose the floor mat could still be an issue. Does anyone know how to adjust the pedal? I read the pedals are adjustable.

My specs: 2022 Laramie 5.7 with eTorque 4x4

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The switch for the adjustable pedals are are on the left side of the steering column but they only raise the pedals toward the driver or lower them away from the driver .

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Mine does this sometimes after a cold start. If I'm on gravel especially, I'll be standing on the brakes and the truck just keep pulling and digging in. I don't know if it's because of the eTorque or the 3.92 rear but it's annoying.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Does this happen only after cold start when the engine typically revs a bit to warm up?

Derek916

Reaction score
Mine does this sometimes after a cold start. If I'm on gravel especially, I'll be standing on the brakes and the truck just keep pulling and digging in. I don't know if it's because of the eTorque or the 3.92 rear but it's annoying.
I have the same specs as you except 3.21. That is good to know. I hadn’t started my truck in 4 days prior to this but it was on the garage. It had been running for a solid two minutes before this though as I had pulled out of my garage and stopped to get out and look at my front yard. Seems like the common denominator here is eTorque. This makes the most sense to me as it felt similar to the torque eTorque provides when I step on the gas too early.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I reported a similar issue with my 2021 Limited with eTorque almost 18 months ago 2021 RAM 1500 - Engine Surging when Braking RAM could never find anything. I finally traded that truck back to the dealer for a similar truck WITHOUT eTorque. I have not experienced the problem with the second truck.

Paul
I'm working on a deal to do the exact same thing.

Derek916

Reaction score
I reported a similar issue with my 2021 Limited with eTorque almost 18 months ago 2021 RAM 1500 - Engine Surging when Braking RAM could never find anything. I finally traded that truck back to the dealer for a similar truck WITHOUT eTorque. I have not experienced the problem with the second truck.

Paul
Thanks for your response I might go this route as well as I have an offer from Driveway.com to sell at about a $3000 loss. I've had this truck for about five months now so that is basically a $600 lease payment, which is pretty slick for a 65K MSRP vehicle.

paul30415

Reaction score
Thanks for your response I might go this route as well as I have an offer from Driveway.com to sell at about a $3000 loss. I've had this truck for about five months now so that is basically a $600 lease payment, which is pretty slick for a 65K MSRP vehicle.
I also took about a $3000 loss after about 5 months of use. The truck had 5k miles on it when I turned it in.

Paul

Derek916

Reaction score
File a report with the NHTSA

Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA you can send in the video too. They do follow up on documented reports.
Thanks I will. I don’t plan on filing with the dealer since there were no error codes and don’t want them to hold my truck for multiple days just to find nothing. For what it’s worth I haven’t experienced it again. I am chalking it up to computers glitch.

@RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread