5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sub woofer

IA_Dawg

Reaction score
Thanks. I would have never found it, because I was searching at the bottom. :oops::confused::)

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Polyfill will to the speaker give the illusion of a bigger box. Dont ask me how I've used poly in boxes before were room is at a premium. I'd put it in the crevices and give it a good crater area to put the sub back in.

There is no science to this it's all about trial and error.
There is definitely science involved, awesome science actually, but the good news is (as you implied) you don’t really have to understand it to gain the sonic benefits - stuff and go is a 99% solution with small boxes like that. In case anyone has a cat-like curiosity like me though... here’s a short read explaining it with cool terms like adiabatic and isothermal (you’ve been warned):
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/7168-a-technical-understanding-of-polyfill/

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Great read, now i understand the benefits of stuffing, lol:unsure:
There is definitely science involved, awesome science actually, but the good news is (as you implied) you don’t really have to understand it to gain the sonic benefits - stuff and go is a 99% solution with small boxes like that. In case anyone has a cat-like curiosity like me though... here’s a short read explaining it with cool terms like adiabatic and isothermal (you’ve been warned):
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/7168-a-technical-understanding-of-polyfill/

craigrh13

Reaction score
So I found the cord to fold down the back seat and seen the sub. Can you just stuff poly in the openings you see or do you have to remove the back cover t access more of the sub box and go from there?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I found the cord to fold down the back seat and seen the sub. Can you just stuff poly in the openings you see or do you have to remove the back cover t access more of the sub box and go from there?

No, you need to pull back the carpet and remove the driver (think speaker but it's not a normal speaker cone) and put the poly inside the sub box itself. You shouldn't have to remove the sub box to do this.

Just stuffing poly in the carpet holes won't do anything positive but might mean you are pregnant and nesting. If you were a mouse, that is.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Its a shallow mount sub woofer You can pry the carpet out from under the plastic side trim. fold it over remove the 8 torx screws. the woofer will drop out fill around the woofer.

HannibalofCarthage

Reaction score
Just a tip, when testing before and after be sure to have either the windows or the doors open. Subs move air and in an enclosed compartment like the cab you won't notice a lot of difference. Crack the windows to allow more air flow and you WILL be able to tell.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks to everyone for the great information given here, will help me later (and others as it seems now). Again TY.

Now, my previous 17 Alpine system I also disliked the bass. The fix for that was a new sub from Pioneer which helps TREMENDOUSLY. So here I am in the 19 and the bass is disgusting as hell. Sloppy and **** poor. The doors hit harder and cleaner than this thing. I know no ones done it yet, but wouldn't a speaker change yield more benefit than polyfill? I realize it would be very difficult to find the right speaker (the Alpine took a dual 2 ohm IIRC) but I am not convinced polyfill is the bandaid fix here. As I said, to me the bass is garbage. Some days its over powering and rattling my sliding window, other days the doors are over powering. Whent he bass does do something its very muddy and sloppy. if I were going to tear apart the back seat, I would prefer a speaker change. Problem is, what to out there.........

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly, thanks to everyone for the great information given here, will help me later (and others as it seems now). Again TY.

Now, my previous 17 Alpine system I also disliked the bass. The fix for that was a new sub from Pioneer which helps TREMENDOUSLY. So here I am in the 19 and the bass is disgusting as hell. Sloppy and **** poor. The doors hit harder and cleaner than this thing. I know no ones done it yet, but wouldn't a speaker change yield more benefit than polyfill? I realize it would be very difficult to find the right speaker (the Alpine took a dual 2 ohm IIRC) but I am not convinced polyfill is the bandaid fix here. As I said, to me the bass is garbage. Some days its over powering and rattling my sliding window, other days the doors are over powering. Whent he bass does do something its very muddy and sloppy. if I were going to tear apart the back seat, I would prefer a speaker change. Problem is, what to out there.........
Good point! Has anyone out there pulled the 2019 8” subwoofer and determined whether the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 or something similar (shallow mount, often used on 4th gen Alpine) will still fit, and is still a good upgrade?

UPDATE: I’m adding a video of a 4th gen sub upgrade (under seat)for future reference. Perhaps the parts are the same (including the sub box depth available) and only the box location and access are different (behind right rear seat). From other posts it sounds like you reach through the center seat back hole, unlatch and release the passenger side back seat to fold it forward, remove the sub, and replace it as required. Is this right? I’ll get to experiment myself next week hopefully!

Last edited:

syddog 2000

Reaction score
if I were going to tear apart the back seat, I would prefer a speaker change. Problem is, what to out there.........
If you read further back in this tread you will see it is very easy access, No "tear out of the rear seat " required. Take a look I would be interested to know if this upgrade would work also.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Good point! Has anyone out there pulled the 2019 8” subwoofer and determined whether the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 or something similar (shallow mount, often used on 4th gen Alpine) will still fit, and is still a good upgrade?

UPDATE: I’m adding a video of a 4th gen sub upgrade (under seat)for future reference. Perhaps the parts are the same (including the sub box depth available) and only the box location and access are different (behind right rear seat). From other posts it sounds like you reach through the center seat back hole, unlatch and release the passenger side back seat to fold it forward, remove the sub, and replace it as required. Is this right? I’ll get to experiment myself next week hopefully!
This exactly! Exactly what I did

mhb1638

Reaction score
Is the factory sub dual 2ohm? That would be important info for a sub like Pioneer replacement

DennisY

Reaction score
New to the forum, and picked up my 1500 LTD about a month ago. The sound system is just okay imo. 900 watts? I am guessing their rating is peak, not RMS. And we apparently do not have the specs as to how it is divided up. 900 watts divided by 19 speakers is only 47 watts each. Peak, not RMS. RMS would be much, much lower. Both are important but in different ways. RMS is essentially what we hear. On the other hand, exceeding the peak will cause clipping (distortion). Did they allocate more power to the sub? I would hope so. That then takes away from the power available to the rest of the speakers.

(And yes, I've fiddled with the Equalizer settings in the truck to no end.)

I took a quick look at the so-called 900 watt amp today (pull your driver's seat all the way forward and look under the back side to see it). I've seen 50 watt RMS amps larger than that thing. Perhaps a few less speakers and a bit more power to each, and especially to the sub, would have been more appropriate. But then, that wouldn't be as cool in the marketing flyers.

Having seen pics in this thread of the sub behind the rear seat, I am so far less than impressed. I'll look at mine in a week or two for first hand experience/impressions.

At this point, I'm hoping MTX comes out with a Thunderform for the 2019 RAM. I had one in my 2008 F150 and it whomped! It was a 12 inch sub with a built in 200 watt amp. If they come out with one for the '19 RAM, I will jump on it.

BTW, there was mention in this thread of various sources. SiriusXM compresses the heck out of their streams so that they can run a LOT of channels (streams) in their limited satellite spectrum. Even some talk shows sound horrible. Compression = less frequency response and lower dynamic range. I cringe every time I go from FM radio to Sirius. And FM radio is of course nowhere near as good as CD and other sources but does sound much better than Sirius. In addition, you will find many variations in streaming sources. I did try Pandora with my iPhone and USB connection to CarPlay in the RAM. I wasn't impressed. Have not tried Spotify or Amazon Music. Nor iHeart.

All of that said, I can live with the existing HK system for now but am looking forward to seeing if MTX comes out with a Thunderform for the '19. If not, I'll be visiting my local auto sound dealers to see what they can do to pump up the sound. Especially the bass.

craigrh13

Reaction score
I honestly can’t even tell I have a sub as the doors hit pretty hard. It sucks that everything rattled so much though so I can’t really go over half volume at 0 base with anything that has a ton of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/