5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid Fuel Fill Issue, and my horrible dealership...

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Bought a 2021 Ram a couple years ago. Few days after getting it, there's a seatbelt unbuckled warning that comes on when someone is in passenger seat (even though they're buckled), nbd, call them up, book an appt, they give me a rental, diagnose, fix it, everything is great... I'm happy with my purchase.

Then the fuel fill issue starts a while later... book it in. They don't do a loaner or rentals anymore, but they can shuttle me where I need to go (but not home, because I live just outside the city, so now I always need to find a friend or family member to drive me in for drop offs and pickups... fine, whatever, but a nuisance) They replace the filler neck, said something was causing the vent to stick. And the problem goes away for a couple months.

Then it's back. I think the second time they did the filler neck again... But, of course they never have parts in, and they take several days, so it's always there for way longer than they estimate. It works for a few months...

...then it happens again. This time, they blame the fuel pump, I bring it in... it's there a few days... I haven't heard from them so I call. Oh, there's a new evap cannister, they're waiting on the part (thanks for letting me know...) They tell me if it happens again they'll replace the fuel tank.

Last week, my truck is approaching 50,000km, and they try and tell me I need to "replace the axle fluid" which would bring my oil change from ~$140 to almost $600... uh... no, and that's not what the maintenance schedule says. It says to "check" the fluid. But I need an oil change, and the tail gate adjustment recall, and I tell them the fuel issue is still happening, do you have the fuel tank in stock, so I don't need to leave the truck as long just waiting for a part. They say it's in, and I bring it in for service... call the next day to check the status (as they said it should be done by noon when I dropped it off) and... they're waiting on a part 😡 an evap cannister, there's a new design that fixes the issue... Um... you did that last time. They assure me it's still the old style on the truck. The next day, the parts still not in, but they claim they've done the oil change, fuel tank, and tail gate recall. I pick the truck up, and they'll let me know when the part is in to bring it back.

A few days pass, I hear nothing, so I call and "Oh, your part is in, I don't know why nobody called you" (I do, because nobody ever calls from your service department) I bring it back in first thing yesterday morning, they say it'll be about half a day. I call at 2pm, and they're out testing it, and I can come pick it up. Here's where I impressively stay calm...

I look at the invoice, I don't see the evap cannister on it. I see the fuel tank, tailgate recall, and oil change ... but not the reason I had to bring it back in. The one lady looks up the part, and tells me they didn't use the evap cannister, and the service adviser beside her tells us it's part of the fuel tank... Ok, then why did I bring it back, that would have been done last week, when they told me it was done... right? Then the kid who brought my truck up, tells me he saw them replace the fuel tank today.

I'm confused, and angry, but remaining calm. They tell me the service adviser will call me "first thing tomorrow". I get no call by 10:30, so I call them... they insist they did the evap cannister and it's on the invoice... and send me ANOTHER invoice... it's still no on. They told me the part number (I should have wrote it down) but it's not on the invoice.

I'm so pissed off. Every time I bring it in, it costs me like $30 in gas for the person driving me in. Plus over an hour of their time. And they're obviously lying to me about what/when service is being done.

I don't trust the dealer, reading reviews, I don't trust any of them around here... but for warranty what other choice do I have?

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Trade it (at another dealer).
Yeah, I'm pretty close to there already, but I doubt I'll get what I owe back... which sucks. I shouldn't have to be out of pocket because Ram can't fix my truck after 18 months.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty close to there already, but I doubt I'll get what I owe back... which sucks. I shouldn't have to be out of pocket because Ram can't fix my truck after 18 months.
Blame the dealer, not Ram for the inability to fix the concern.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You need to find another dealer. My brother just took his to the local dealer, to have fluids done, and give it an overall inspection at 50,000 miles, because he was going to be taking a trip. I don't remember if he had the oil changed, because he may not have been due, but he had them change the fluids in both differentials, and the transfer case, plus inspect the chassis. His bill was between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. I forget whether he said 340 or 370.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
You need to find another dealer. My brother just took his to the local dealer, to have fluids done, and give it an overall inspection at 50,000 miles, because he was going to be taking a trip. I don't remember if he had the oil changed, because he may not have been due, but he had them change the fluids in both differentials, and the transfer case, plus inspect the chassis. His bill was between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. I forget whether he said 340 or 370.
Yeah, I planned to... I just want this issue solved. Figured I'd give them one last chance, as other dealers are going to be a much further drive

CaffGeek

Reaction score
So the follow up to this, was that after they didn't reply I got an email "would you like to review your service" ... hoo boy... but I was out and about, and just left a simple 1-star on google, no writeup.

They called me, and what it appears happened, was they ordered the evap cannister (despite that being replaced back in Jan 22') ... then, rather than telling me "oops we ordered the wrong part" we meant to get a vapour vent... and that's the part they replaced this time, and the reason I brought it back in...

The Operations Manager told me to "call him if I have the issue again" ... which I just did this Saturday.

Tried calling at 11am today, phone rang for 10 minutes in service, then it seems I was disconnected or hung up on... so I've written a lengthy email to him. Detailing what's been done (filler tube, vapour canister, fuel pump assembly, fuel tank, and vapour vent) and the horrible service I've had over the past 18 months.

I've not received a reply or call back yet.

Tried calling two more times, same issue, the phone just rings and rings in the service area... and if I try and get reception and transferred to the Operations Manager, I get voice mail.

It's been 18 months, every fuel part imaginable, over 30,000km with the same issue, it'll work a few times, then start again. They don't have courtesy/loaner cars, and I'm out of town, which is a huge hassle, so each time I bring it in, I'm begging friends and family for a ride to first drop it off, then to get around for the days they have it, then a ride back in to pick it up.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is why I havnt let them replace any parts on my 22.
I have problems filling the tank and need to use particular pumps and certain angles but I fear it would get worse once the dealership mucks around with it.
Having problems putting gas in your car/truck is just bonkers. I could put gas in a 50 year old car with no problem but these new trucks can't? How is this on the customer to fix, it's clearly been an issue since 2019 for Ram

This actually confuses me how a company cna go backwards with a simple fuel tank.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
I have problems filling the tank and need to use particular pumps and certain angles but I fear it would get worse once the dealership mucks around with it.
Having problems putting gas in your car/truck is just bonkers. I could put gas in a 50 year old car with no problem but these new trucks can't? How is this on the customer to fix, it's clearly been an issue since 2019 for Ram

This actually confuses me how a company cna go backwards with a simple fuel tank.
I've found one pump that works "better" than everywhere else... but it's still awful, best case scenario, I can slowly increase speed to lock it into the first notch... but that only works some of the time. Everywhere else, is just pain... especially during the winter.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

It's not just Ram with the issue. You just don't see people here posting about other makes/models because this is a Ram forum

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've found one pump that works "better" than everywhere else... but it's still awful, best case scenario, I can slowly increase speed to lock it into the first notch... but that only works some of the time. Everywhere else, is just pain... especially during the winter.
I have 1 pump at a nearby BJs that II can use the pump latch and let it go ham full speed.
It's not just Ram with the issue. You just don't see people here posting about other makes/models because this is a Ram forum
lol?
You think I only own a Ram?
Never had this problem in a Chevy, GMC, Ford, Oldsmobile, Chrysler, Infinity, or a Buick.

Not being able to put fuel in your tank is a critical problem that shouldn't exist.
If an 04 Chrysler Sebring doesn't have problem getting gas why should a 2019 + from the same manufacture? going backwards.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
So, they now want me to come in so the foreman can watch me pump gas... 🖕I know how to put gas in a vehicle...

Their email...
I spoke With Our representative and they would like to know when you can bring the vehicle in with around 1/4 tank of fuel or less and accompany the Shop Foreman to the gas station at our location and perform the filling procedure. The reason for the minimal amount of fuel is so they can see different pour points of fuel entering the vehicle and what is happening. Our shop foreman will be available Wednesday, Thursdayand Friday this week, and any day from Monday to Friday Next week.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 1 pump at a nearby BJs that II can use the pump latch and let it go ham full speed.

lol?
Never had this problem in a Chevy, GMC, Ford, Oldsmobile, Chrysler, Infinity, or a Buick.

Not being able to put fuel in your tank is a critical problem that shouldn't exist.
If an 04 Chrysler Sebring doesn't have problem getting gas why should a 2019 + from the same manufacture? going backwards.
Just because you, personally, have never experienced it in any other vehicle doesn't mean it's not an issue on other platforms

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

lol?

im gonna wager a guess that they made some changes to the design per EPA regulations.
auto manufactures are not the people who would reinvent the wheels just because they are bored at work.

BUT, to be fair, when we see fuel issues on other vehicles it's always older vehicles (5+ years) and it's always the fuel pump going bad, not filler neck problem. Only RAM that experienced the same problem was a 2019 Classic work truck and we replaced the tank (which includes filler neck) and all was good.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Different EVAP systems. The EPA/Government setting up ridiculous mandates. I get it, it shouldn't be an issue in 2023.

Users who are viewing this thread