5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop complaining about gas mileage !!!!

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
I’m considering trading in the Grand Marquis and 04 ram for a 2018 scat pack. Do you have any regrets other than the fuel cost?

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
If I lift my truck and put on bigger tires will my mpg get worse?

loLOL
As long as you add a large ram head sticker on your back window you will regain all lost HP and fuel mileage. In fact there is lab tested scientific proof that you could further increase power by adding an SRT badge to your tailgate

Roadwar

Reaction score
Absolutely no regrets and I haven't had any issues with it. These 392s are torque monsters. It never feels like it's under any load. Even though it weighs 4450 pounds it's scary fast, handles pretty good, rides only a little firm, and isn't too loud until you really get on it. I'm getting 17 mpg in mixed driving (in Sport Mode) and have seen as much as 20 on the highway ( I don't let it run in MDA mode). This is the car I wanted when I was in high school in the late sixties. (y)

Last edited:

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as you add a large ram head sticker on your back window you will regain all lost HP and fuel mileage. In fact there is lab tested scientific proof that you could further increase power by adding an SRT badge to your tailgate
LOL all about them gainz!

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
Absolutely no regrets and I haven't had any issues with it. These 392s are torque monsters. It never feels like it's under any load. Even though it weighs 4450 pounds it's scary fast, handles pretty good, rides only a little firm, and isn't too loud until you really get on it. I'm getting 17 mpg in mixed driving (in Sport Mode) and have seen as much as 20 on the highway ( I don't let it run in MDA mode). This is the car I wanted when I was in high school in the late sixties. (y)

I haven't driven or been inside a scat pack, but I have rented chargers in the past and was not impressed with the build quality and cheap plastic feel of the interiors. Are the scat packs nicer on the inside? Would you say the interior is at least as nice as a 2019 Laramie interior? I wish they still made the Chrysler 300 SRT.

Roadwar

Reaction score
I would say that the Scat Pack interior has more patterned plastic showing than the Laramie does. The metal finish on some of the Charger dash is actually aluminum so it looks nice. The top of the dash and the door panels are ok but generally not as nice looking as what's in the Ram. The dash pad is obviously molded synthetic. The optional seats are leather and Alcantara and they are excellent. The Charger interior is well put together with good quality materials but it's not Laramie grade stuff. I had a 2014 Charger before the 2017 and I would say that the interior materials quality took a step up with the 2015s and beyond. I expect when the next "refresh" is done Chrysler will make an effort to improve them some more just as they've done with trucks.
Keep in mind the Scat Pack is the "performance bang for the buck model" with emphasis on getting all the performance goodies in there at the lower price, and I think the interior materials may be at a higher level in the SRT models.

Last edited:

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
Its getting nearly impossible to find a new American sedan with a V8. I don't know how much longer my moto of only driving American V8's will last. Charger and 300 are the only ones left as of now. My 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis is the last of the true American sedan , body on frame, rear wheel drive, V8's like the cars I grew up on. I know Cadillac is coming out with a twin turbo V8 CT6 later this year but it will be over 100 grand.

Last edited:

Roadwar

Reaction score
I'm with you. V8s are going away. The talk is that the 5.7 Hemi in the Charger RTs will be replaced with turbo V6s in the next gen cars. Supposedly there'll be a new 426 Hemi available in the higher model cars but I'll believe that when I see it. I suspect the V8 Chargers in the next gen may be priced out of my range since we don't buy what we can't pay for on delivery and I bet those cars will cost more than what I'm willing to pay. We're in the "good times" now for performance cars. Enjoy them while you can.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife drives the Scat pack Charger 90 miles (all about 90% highway from home) three days a week and she gets 24 to 26 mpg. When we went on last vacation to myrtle we ran about 75 and 80 MPH all the way down and back hit 25 to 28 MPG! Its a very heavy car around 4200 to 4500 Lbs and 485HP! The Rams and the Scats/SRT's get great mpg!

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
I hate to admit it but I've been looking at the Hyundai Genesis and Equus as they are they only economical sedans with a V8. They also have a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I guess they have come a long way in 20 years since they first came to the US. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to give up on american cars. I would pull the trigger on a 300 or Charger but the body style is just so dated now.

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
Easy fix... Throttle body spacer.

I personally think an open element cold air intake placed right behind the radiator would bring in all kinds of fresh COLD air and give you monumental power gains. We all know the radiator cools your engine so air flowing past the radiator would be super cold. Right???(y) Also to be most effective you must use 93 octane gas with 104 octane boost. The higher the octane the higher the power !!

Last edited:

syddog 2000

Reaction score
We paid upwards of 60k for a TRUCK, A couple of hundred extra a year in fuel verses a lesser vehicle, really???

Lettika

Reaction score
I've noticed that remote starting the truck seems to HEAVILY affect the gas mileage. This thing must run super rich at idle or something. Seems to have a worse effect than my Silverado did, which is unfortunate living in ND. Tend to use the remote start quite a bit for about 6mo of the year.

I noted the same thing and as Gator stated 1.75oz of fuel every 90 seconds at idle can add up. It also has to do with the math. If you figure the computer gives you credit for 100mi/gal at a full coast you are at the opposite side of the spectrum at idle. You are getting absolutely 0 mpg when the truck is at idle so the affect on the average is drastic. Since I read the post that someone put up about how they think there may be something wrong with their ride due to the MPG they are getting I reset my dash on the way home and tracked it over the past couple of days. I went from Fayetteville to Raeford (26mi) which included about 20 min in stop and go getting out of Fayetteville last night then from Raeford to Raleigh and back (+/-200 miles with about 30 min of traffic jam action) today. The average econ was 18.6. Mind you I was paying attention and with it even in the back of your mind you are going to drive differently but if some guys are paying attention and getting 13-14 there may be something wrong with their rig. 89 octane and I the truck was empty except for me. I have 1200 miles on the truck now.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I don't think you guys realize how good the gas mileage really is on these trucks. They weigh over 5k LBS, have a 5.7L V8,
400 HP and still manage 15 MPG in the city and 20 MPG on the highway. I drive a 2015 Mustang GT on the weekends. 3.73 gears and manual transmission. It weighs 3K LBS has a smaller V8 and has a little over 400 hp. I manage 14 MPG in the city if i'm easy on it, 12 MPG if I drive it the way I like. 22 MPG on the highway at 70, hardly 20 MPG if I go any faster. View attachment 7307
Thats a beautiful car! The paint looks amazing!

KWRIBoom

Reaction score
I don't think you guys realize how good the gas mileage really is on these trucks. They weigh over 5k LBS, have a 5.7L V8,
400 HP and still manage 15 MPG in the city and 20 MPG on the highway. I drive a 2015 Mustang GT on the weekends. 3.73 gears and manual transmission. It weighs 3K LBS has a smaller V8 and has a little over 400 hp. I manage 14 MPG in the city if i'm easy on it, 12 MPG if I drive it the way I like. 22 MPG on the highway at 70, hardly 20 MPG if I go any faster. View attachment 7307

I’ll miss my baby, traded her for the ram. But what I’m getting in the truck is FAR better than what I got in the Chally. 10-12 mpg on a heavily modded 5.7. So anything is any improvement. But I’m getting between 16-18 city and that’s pretty choice.

Attachments

• EF20B2DB-A8C1-4D6C-9EC7-D7AFC6D6F661.jpeg
    EF20B2DB-A8C1-4D6C-9EC7-D7AFC6D6F661.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12

slivoman

Reaction score
Just got back from a 2100 mile road trip. Averaged 14mpg. I also had the ACC on at 90mph most of the trip. Not the greatest gas mileage, but man what an awesome road trip vehicle. 4 adults fully loaded all comfortable. BTW, the ACC is funny how quickly it accelerates to get back up to speed.

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
I’ll miss my baby, traded her for the ram. But what I’m getting in the truck is FAR better than what I got in the Chally. 10-12 mpg on a heavily modded 5.7. So anything is any improvement. But I’m getting between 16-18 city and that’s pretty choice.

I initially wanted a challenger very badly, but when ford came out with the new mustang I couldn't say no. Sorry for your loss

Users who are viewing this thread