5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop complaining about gas mileage !!!!

PTRAM

Reaction score
But whats your MPG screen reading? Mine is saying 9mpg, i'm thinking something ain't right.
But whats your MPG screen reading? Mine is saying 9mpg, i'm thinking something ain't right.

Like I said, they are pretty close. Do you set your trip odometer to zero when you fill it up and then check that odometer the next you fill up again? So if I drove 130 miles and my screen MPG showed 13.5 and when I divide the mileage used on this trip by the gallons of gas needed to fill it up and I get 13.2, I call that pretty close.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Am I the only one starting to see the trend that it's mostly etorque trucks not getting claimed MPG? Im wondering if in everyday driving where the etorque isn't helping, it actually adds extra drag. Just a theory because I have a regular hemi and get fantastic MPG.
I doubt it adds much more drag than an alternator, but it would be interesting to find out.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am I the only one starting to see the trend that it's mostly etorque trucks not getting claimed MPG? Im wondering if in everyday driving where the etorque isn't helping, it actually adds extra drag. Just a theory because I have a regular hemi and get fantastic MPG.

I've got eTorque and have always gotten what I consider good mileage. I just got the 3 RRTs done and then filled up with 89. so far EVIC (very accurate on mine vs. hand calc) is showing 17.8 MPG with 90% suburban driving. I've been quite pleased with the eTorque MPG.
I did drive one tank halfway like I stole it and it only dropped the MPG down to 16.2.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Here is my problem i had a 2013 Ram 1500 with 4x4 3.21 5.7 i gotten better MPG around 15 city and 21 highway my new 19 truck is just about the same exception i do not have the rambox im getting13.5 city 17.7 highway. even tho are small numbers i would had except the same or at lease slightly better with the 19

NDanecker

Reaction score
Just traded my 18 Trackhawk for a 19 Ram 1500. My trackhawk averaged 9mpg over a couple tanks driving to/from work on mostly back roads, 55mph 4 lane roads with some lights, etc. - very little highway cruising. Do a couple 'launches' and it brought my average below 7mpg per tank. On a highway trip I was able to break 16mpg taking it really easy (hand calculated). Basically - it sucked. LOL However, I didn't complain as I knew what I was buying and it wasn't for the mileage.

In the same respect I purchased the Ram 1500 NOT for the mileage. On the Ram's first trip home from the dealer (VA to NJ) the lie-o-meter said 17mpg which was mostly highway 65 - 75. Throw in the fact I don't need to purchase premium fuel which averages 50 cents more per gallon and I'm happy!

Interestingly the Trackhawk and Ram are very close in weight which I would have never guessed when looking at the size different. Still amazed how much nicer the Ram is for highway cruising. Trackhawk was nice considering I could do short runs from 65 to 130+ to pass snow pissers hanging in the left lane but for long trips the Ram is hands-down a winner so far. Much better than any of my old diesel Rams (from a comfort ride quality and fatigue perspective).

Jackham

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Ram SLT V6 with 3.21 and my mileage has always been mid 22 to 26 and did get 27.7 with the cruise set at 60 mph on the whole tank full when I was in Wyoming on vacation in 2013. Jack rabbit starts kill your MPG. I have ordered a 2019 Ram 1500 Long Horn with the V6.
The 20 cars behind you must have hated you:)

RAMBS

Reaction score
Wait until we get rid of the winter gas mixture and a few more miles on the odometer. I'm thinking the mileage will increase substantially?

PTRAM

Reaction score
I had been without a Ram for about 5 years but purchased my present one on Dec. 11-2018. On my previous Rams I never got more than 8 to 10 MPG. I do wear size 13 shoes and they are a little heavy. :eek: Okay, I have had my current Ram now a little over the month and I have already changed the tires from the stock Nexen Roadians to Michelin's Defenders. Long story on another thread. Anyhow, I was getting around 13.5 MPG on my 2019 with my "normal driving." Yesterday I tried to drive with a less heavy foot and drove from the down town from where I live to about 22 miles where I purchased my Ram. This was city and hwy driving but about 43 stop lights (well a few were go lights) total on the complete test. This was the first test with the Michelin tires that I had just had mounted the day before. I noticed the "ECO" was coming on a lot even at 30 MPH at times. I checked the MPG on the EVIC and it showed 19.4 MPG. After getting home the EVIC showed 19.1MPG.. (was more "Stop Lights on the way home." I could tell the day before when I left the dealer with the Michelin's installed that the ECO was coming on a lot more than before. (I cannot prove that the Michelin's helped that much-but it may have just been my more relaxed driving.) At $1.85 for gas here I guess I can be my old normal for now..(y) Oh, this is better MPG than I have ever squeezed out of my TH Cherokees with the six cylinder engines. Still only have 700 miles on the Ram. I had previously checked the EVIC against the mileage divided by fuel used and it was close to the EVIC.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some folks have an 'accurate EVIC'... for others it is incorrect and registers higher than what is actually true.

Mine is usually 1-2 mg *higher* than what I am actually getting. You may want to hand check or use Fuelly to check your mileage

cheyfinn

Reaction score
'19 Ram crew 1500 Hemi 3.21 gear 8/24/19 went to Denver from Cheyenne left with a full tank and filled up when I got back got 22 mpg very happy with the mpg, my '10 only got 18 mpg on the hi-way basic same truck

Users who are viewing this thread