5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop complaining about gas mileage !!!!

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
I don't think you guys realize how good the gas mileage really is on these trucks. They weigh over 5k LBS, have a 5.7L V8,
400 HP and still manage 15 MPG in the city and 20 MPG on the highway. I drive a 2015 Mustang GT on the weekends. 3.73 gears and manual transmission. It weighs 3K LBS has a smaller V8 and has a little over 400 hp. I manage 14 MPG in the city if i'm easy on it, 12 MPG if I drive it the way I like. 22 MPG on the highway at 70, hardly 20 MPG if I go any faster. 2015-Ford-Mustang-Exterior-010.jpg

Last edited:

GATORB8

Reaction score
Off topic, but since you mentioned weekend rides... Dumped my daily F150 and my weekend toy when I got the ram.

My BMW E92 335is 6MT N54 TT Full Bolt On (380 whp) will be sorely missed, except for the ridiculous repair costs. It got about 5 mpg on the track. If you haven't tracked the stang, I highly recommend signing up for an HPDE. Most fun I ever had with it.

Attachments

• IMG_3222.jpeg
    IMG_3222.jpeg
    678.6 KB · Views: 63

Socks

Reaction score
Agreed. I got a v6 camaro and have never reset to trip mpg in ownership. In the 100k miles, I average 19 mpg I'd say that leans more highway than city. So a dip to 13-16 mpg with the huge added functionality and usability. It's worth the trade off.

revolutionz

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but my last 2 tanks of all in town driving I've averaged about 11.5mpg....I'd love 15mpg in town.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I have an eTorque and 3.92 gears and I am getting combined 15 MPG but it still needs to break in. I am also putting in the recommended 89 Octane.
I also have a Mustang GT convertible with an intake, massive exhaust, and tune and it gets 15.5 on the same commute. The Mustang V8 may be smaller but it makes more power. It's amazing what the Coyote V8 has available for the right Tuner. Here is the difference: I get my aggressive heavy foot driving out with the Mustang. The truck I drive mellow. So I feel if I get 16 after break in, I will be happy. I chose the 3.92 gears knowing that MPG was not going to be ideal.

This is my fourth V8 Truck in 20 years. They always get crappy mileage cause they are big heavy blocks. But the power keeps going up. If you want yesterday's V8 power and better mileage then get the V6. So I am kind of agreeing with you.

HannibalofCarthage

Reaction score
I'm getting 15.6-16 in the city, i got 16-17 in my V6 Durango if i babied it. No complaints from me

Jello0123

Reaction score
My 2008 Silverado with the 5.3L and active fuel management gets 16.7 mixed city/highway 3.73 gear ratio and I drive like a grandma. My wife's 2017 Durango with the Hemi is getting 16.3 mostly city and my 2016 Chevy SS with MT and 6.2L barely breaks 18 in mixed city/hwy. I expect the RAM to be less than all of these even with the 3.92 and e-Torque. I am looking forward to towing with it and the increased HP and torque, plus all the gadgets since my Silverado is base. Now it just needs to get here!!!

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
I have an eTorque and 3.92 gears and I am getting combined 15 MPG but it still needs to break in. I am also putting in the recommended 89 Octane.
I also have a Mustang GT convertible with an intake, massive exhaust, and tune and it gets 15.5 on the same commute. The Mustang V8 may be smaller but it makes more power. It's amazing what the Coyote V8 has available for the right Tuner. Here is the difference: I get my aggressive heavy foot driving out with the Mustang. The truck I drive mellow. So I feel if I get 16 after break in, I will be happy. I chose the 3.92 gears knowing that MPG was not going to be ideal.

This is my fourth V8 Truck in 20 years. They always get crappy mileage cause they are big heavy blocks. But the power keeps going up. If you want yesterday's V8 power and better mileage then get the V6. So I am kind of agreeing with you.

I honestly think the lack of power and torque (-100 less HP vs hemi) on the V6 will cause you to burn the same maybe even more fuel than the V8. In the 90's when the mini truck craze was going on. I had a 1993 Nissan Hard body with a 4 cyl, it actually got worse fuel mileage than the v6 models because the small 4 cyl worked so hard to move that truck around.

revolutionz

Reaction score
I've noticed that remote starting the truck seems to HEAVILY affect the gas mileage. This thing must run super rich at idle or something. Seems to have a worse effect than my Silverado did, which is unfortunate living in ND. Tend to use the remote start quite a bit for about 6mo of the year.

lowell3170

lowell3170
Reaction score
I honestly think the lack of power and torque (-100 less HP vs hemi) on the V6 will cause you to burn the same maybe even more fuel than the V8. In the 90's when the mini truck craze was going on. I had a 1993 Nissan Hard body with a 4 cyl, it actually got worse fuel mileage than the v6 models because the small 4 cyl worked so hard to move that truck around.

I have a 2013 Ram SLT V6 with 3.21 and my mileage has always been mid 22 to 26 and did get 27.7 with the cruise set at 60 mph on the whole tank full when I was in Wyoming on vacation in 2013. Jack rabbit starts kill your MPG. I have ordered a 2019 Ram 1500 Long Horn with the V6.

GATORB8

Reaction score
I've noticed that remote starting the truck seems to HEAVILY affect the gas mileage. This thing must run super rich at idle or something. Seems to have a worse effect than my Silverado did, which is unfortunate living in ND. Tend to use the remote start quite a bit for about 6mo of the year.
In the "Etorque: 6 Things you probably didn't know" video, the Ram product expert mentions the idle burn rate. Can't rewatch it, but something like 1.75 ounces per 90 seconds... more than a half gallon an hour.
It's certainly worth the cost to me in cold weather.

revolutionz

Reaction score
In the "Etorque: 6 Things you probably didn't know" video, the Ram product expert mentions the idle burn rate. Can't rewatch it, but something like 1.75 ounces per 90 seconds... more than a half gallon an hour.
It's certainly worth the cost to me in cold weather.

That's crazy. Definitely worth it, but wonder why it uses so much fuel at idle...seems like it shouldn't need to.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mustang GT's weight 3,500-3,800 lbs. so their not a lightweight car either.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I lift my truck and put on bigger tires will my mpg get worse?

loLOL

Roadwar

Reaction score
With this as a daily driver, I've learned not to complain about mileage. I knew what I was getting. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 41

Users who are viewing this thread