5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Shaken By Surprise UAW Stand-Up Strike At Ram Plant

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Stellantis Shaken By Surprise UAW Stand-Up Strike At Ram Plant​

6,800 Workers At Michigan Plant, Asked To Stand-Up...​

383770879_338971615166316_6142185188442136321_n.jpeg

In a startling turn of events, the United Auto Workers (UAW) dealt a staggering blow to Stellantis this morning, initiating an unforeseen stand-up strike at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant (SHAP) in Sterling Heights, Michigan. This sprawling 5-million-square-foot facility is the birthplace of the highly sought-after 2024 Ram 1500 (DT) pickup, a linchpin of Stellantis’ production lineup.

The move reverberated through Stellantis, which boasted an impressive production of nearly half a million pickups in 2022.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I'm sorry but the UAW is just being flat *** out greedy and outrageously over the top with their demands!!! I'd pull a Ronaldus Magnus and fire every last damn one of the auto workers! When they come back asking for their job's, I would hire them back for what was offered and start them over on their seniority ranking! The UAW is one of the biggest scams EVER!

Thanks for listening to my rant....pass the Tylenol

P.S. Shawn Fain sounds like an outlaw Irish political group from the 70s and 80s 😅

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the UAW members are getting fed up with Shawn Fain as well.

Auto manufacturers just need to fire all UAW members, and start hiring non-union workers. If union workers want to stay, then they are working for the manufacturer, not the unions. Imagine how much more money union employees would be taking home if they got the same hourly wage as the UAW has negotiated for them, without the Union fees associated

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At this point the wages are fair and so are the other concessions. They're still holding out for the battery plants. Which I feel like is a fair move.

Firing all the employees is a laughable notion. If you think they're losing money now just wait till the idle all the plants because of training. Not to mention all the maintenance personnel they'd have to train as well.

Re: union fees. I pay $90/month. Make a ton of money and have no healthcare premium/ $1000 family deductible. I'll keep my union dues and better benefits than non-union folk.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At this point the wages are fair and so are the other concessions. They're still holding out for the battery plants. Which I feel like is a fair move.
How is that a fair move? It’s nothing but a power move to increase membership that they wouldn’t necessarily get otherwise. The world is moving away from unions, and the only way the UAW can increase membership is by strong-arm tactics like this.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Firing all the employees is a laughable notion. If you think they're losing money now just wait till the idle all the plants because of training. Not to mention all the maintenance personnel they'd have to train as well.

Re: union fees. I pay $90/month. Make a ton of money and have no healthcare premium/ $1000 family deductible. I'll keep my union dues and better benefits than non-union folk.
Not all unions are equal. Local electrical union tried to recruit me once. The guy gave me a piece of paper with the. Breakdown of pay vs unions fees. The starting pay on the sheet was pretty close to what I was making at the time. By the time it was all said and done it was $5/hr less take home pay, and that was before taxes. Granted, I'm a little different than your average skilled trade worker, being retired military with Tricare healthcare.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is that a fair move? It’s nothing but a power move to increase membership that they wouldn’t necessarily get otherwise. The world is moving away from unions, and the only way the UAW can increase membership is by strong-arm tactics like this.
Because that's what the union agreed to do - negotiate on behalf of their members. With the move to EVs those members are in danger of losing their jobs. No transmission to build, no engine to build, etc. So it's not necessarily for new hires as much as it's trying to keep people employed.
Not all unions are equal. Local electrical union tried to recruit me once. The guy gave me a piece of paper with the. Breakdown of pay vs unions fees. The starting pay on the sheet was pretty close to what I was making at the time. By the time it was all said and done it was $5/hr less take home pay, and that was before taxes. Granted, I'm a little different than your average skilled trade worker, being retired military with Tricare healthcare.
That's fair and true. Our local IBEW does pretty well on pay and benefits afaik. With the trades there's alot more parity. I often joke that if my plant ever closes I'm going non-union so I can screw some less experienced individual out of day shift lol.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Because that's what the union agreed to do - negotiate on behalf of their members. With the move to EVs those members are in danger of losing their jobs. No transmission to build, no engine to build, etc.
Then they should get a different job.
There are a million things in the world to do.
I currently fix people broken networks, if people stopped doing stupid things I wouldn't be crying for a job. I have other things I can do and actually create.

Your method of thinking sounds like it just wants to hold society back by keeping pointless things existing.

Is this an open or closed union shop?
If it was open I bet the people no in the union would be making more money as we don't just show up at work one day and make demands and stop working if we don't get them.
We make our demands, and if we are not happy we gtfo, not get signs and go outside like idiots making a scene.

If you can't handle working any job except 1 thing at 1 company you should re-think how you are living life as it's not secure.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then they should get a different job.
There are a million things in the world to do.
I currently fix people broken networks, if people stopped doing stupid things I wouldn't be crying for a job. I have other things I can do and actually create.

Your method of thinking sounds like it just wants to hold society back by keeping pointless things existing.

Is this an open or closed union shop?
If it was open I bet the people no in the union would be making more money as we don't just show up at work one day and make demands and stop working if we don't get them.
We make our demands, and if we are not happy we gtfo, not get signs and go outside like idiots making a scene.

If you can't handle working any job except 1 thing at 1 company you should re-think how you are living life as it's not secure.
That's all fine and well. That's the benefit of living in a capitalist society. There are plenty of people who think otherwise though.

They figured out that banding together to have more negotiating power with their employer was better for them. If they all followed your line of thinking we wouldn't have 40hr work weeks as standard and child labor would still be prevalent. You can thank unions for those things.

I'm pro-union but that doesn't mean I wouldn't work else where if it made sense.

Also, you seem intellectually inclined. So I'm sure you're aware of the bell curve. There are plenty of options for you but we have this false sense in America that everyone is this close to being the next Bill Gates or next big entrepreneur. Kinda hard to be an entrepreneur these days when these large corps put the mom and pops out of business. Not everyone is gonna be a winner. So fighting for a job you already do isn't some criminal line of thinking imo.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
If they all followed your line of thinking we wouldn't have 40hr work weeks as standard and child labor would still be prevalent. You can thank unions for those things.
The union is demanding a 4 day, 32 hour work week with overtime pay for anything over 32 hours and a 46% pay increase. A company is not going to take a loss. The increase in pay, benefits and paying for a shortend work week will be passed directly to the consumer. The consumer is ultimately paying your wages but now can't afford to buy a car because they didn't get a 46% increase in wages.

Below is copied from PBS and was also reported on Fox, ABC and I'm sure many other news outlets:

The UAW's current demands include a 46-percent pay increase; a 4-day work week with overtime pay beyond 32 hours; union representation at new electric battery plants; and the end of employment tiers that created two classes of employees – one older that is better paid and receives more benefits and a second, younger ...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The union is demanding a 4 day, 32 hour work week with overtime pay for anything over 32 hours and a 46% pay increase. A company is not going to take a loss. The increase in pay, benefits and paying for a shortend work week will be passed directly to the consumer. The consumer is ultimately paying your wages but now can't afford to buy a car because they didn't get a 46% increase in wages.

Below is copied from PBS and was also reported on Fox, ABC and I'm sure many other news outlets:

The UAW's current demands include a 46-percent pay increase; a 4-day work week with overtime pay beyond 32 hours; union representation at new electric battery plants; and the end of employment tiers that created two classes of employees – one older that is better paid and receives more benefits and a second, younger ...
Don't forget it's not just the money either.
It's 20% less production because the work week is changed from 40 to 32 hours.
So more pay to employees which means the items cost more for everyone including those's employees, and production goes down 20% creating it harder and more possible shortages.

They figured out that banding together to have more negotiating power with their employer was better for them. If they all followed your line of thinking we wouldn't have 40hr work weeks as standard and child labor would still be prevalent. You can thank unions for those things.

Also, you seem intellectually inclined. So I'm sure you're aware of the bell curve. There are plenty of options for you but we have this false sense in America that everyone is this close to being the next Bill Gates or next big entrepreneur. Kinda hard to be an entrepreneur these days when these large corps put the mom and pops out of business. Not everyone is gonna be a winner. So fighting for a job you already do isn't some criminal line of thinking imo.

I'm all for the employee getting more, most businesses have money to spare but this isn't the way to get it.
You don't need a union to work together but that said I am also not anti-union.
I was part of the union when I worked at Stop and Shop (closed union shop) and they only caused problems for me, management was always angry with the union and there were always fights over stupid stuff.

If they don't like the conditions then leave. It's not ideal but it's better then what they are doing.

If people working easy unskilled jobs keep demanding these pay raises for less work it makes it worse for everyone in the country including those who thinks their life will get better.

I miss my $1 double cheese burger at McDonalds, but they can't sell it for that anymore because they are paying $15+ an hour for minimum wage employees, and that $15 an hour is now terrible to live off of because the price of everyone goes up (but at a higher rate) to compensate for it.
Ram trucks aren't getting any cheaper and this just gives them an excuse to increase MSRP by 20% if they cave in to fight that 20% reduction in trucks made to be sold.

I work my a$$ off for my money and no one ever helps me union or no union. I have switched jobs and gotten higher base pay then years of beign wtih the same company.
This is not the 1900s anymore, you don't work for the same company for 30 years and expect to be treated like a king unless you move into management or ownership.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It’s called contract negotiating. They know they’ll never get that but have to shoot for the moon and settle somewhere in between. Usually settles fairly quickly but this time they’re holding on a little tighter trying to recover what they all lost during the government bailouts. Can’t fault them for trying.

HemiDude

Reaction score

If your union experience is representative of uaw memebers, then what the hell are they crying about? I've heard "4 day work week" and "up to $82k annually" thrown out there as bargaining fodder, and I'm sure many people would love to have that type of compensation, especially with the healthcare benefits you mention. Most of us, though, still show up to work 5 days a week, because that is what we agreed to do when we took the job.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Geddyflea and @Darksteel165 - like Dewey mentioned - they're not going to get those things. Quoting old articles isn't going to prove a point. That was their negotiating tactic. I'm fairly positive that at this point if they'd add the battery plants to the contract they'd sign. They're fine on the money front now from my understanding. The 32hr work week will not happen.

Also, blaming unions and kids for inflation is wild. Did your pay go up in 2020 - 2022? Did I miss something? Cause I think it had more to do with our govt printing money we don't have.

Edit: @HemiDude - this response applies here too.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm tired of people acting like the union is the reason for all of the jacked up car prices. They literally took less money to help the companies stay afloat. Yet somehow they're the reason prices keep getting jacked.

IMG_2653.jpeg IMG_2652.png

Last edited:

HemiDude

Reaction score
@Geddyflea and @Darksteel165 - like Dewey mentioned - they're not going to get those things. Quoting old articles isn't going to prove a point. That was their negotiating tactic. I'm fairly positive that at this point if they'd add the battery plants to the contract they'd sign. They're fine on the money front now from my understanding. The 32hr work week will not happen.

Also, blaming unions and kids for inflation is wild. Did your pay go up in 2020 - 2022? Did I miss something? Cause I think it had more to do with our govt printing money we don't have.

So this latest increase in strikers is only because of the battery plants?

And I understand negotiating tactics. BTW my father was union, worked his *** off, and retired at 55, that was a true benefit. Because of that (if I was a union member), I would be emberassed to sit at his dinner table and tell him I was striking because our union was asking to only work four days a week, even if it was just a baragaining chip.

Geddyflea

Reaction score

@Grape_Ape , I understand you are a union guy and no one is going to, or trying to change your opion of your union. You are looking at the situation through your optics as we all do. But that doesn't change the fact that the UAW, by what's being reported, have dug in and are expanding this strike, not working with the automakers. If you take a long view, this is going to price a LOT of people out of the market for a new vehicle, possibly introduce more foreign makers into the North American market and make the sales price of used cars go through the roof. If the strike continues much longer there are secondary suppliers who will have to close because their market has evaporated and their employees, by default, will not be able to meet their monthly obligations, much lest a new car! This looming increase in vehicle prices is on top of almost back breaking inflation that we all are suffering with right now.

This is only my opinion, feel free to make it yours, but not required to slap each other on the back and have a beer at the end of the day.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Geddyflea thats fine and well. I'm pro-union yes, but if a non-union job could beat my pay and benefits I'd go. I'm not entrenched in the idealogy.

I think my post above with the truck prices show that the union isn't the driving factor for the car market. From 08-18 trucks went up 48%. From 18-23 it's got to be around 25% or more. Have the UAWs members wages matched that? The answer is a resounding no. They're looking for those concessions back. If the average person had a sound financial understanding they'd already be priced out of new vehicles.

I hear you guys loud and clear. Telling me that you can find another job is great. If you're upset with how much the unions members get then maybe you should organize your own unions or move yourself to a union job. Telling me you're a hard worker means nothing to me. I work an average of 52hrs a week because I want my family to prosper.

@HemiDude thats fair and it's a fair moral argument. I don't mind personally mind the tactic. Many white collar jobs are moving to 4 day work weeks. It's a pipe dream in manufacturing. It sounds like your problem is actually with the perception of laziness - which is very real in our country today. On that front I wholeheartedly agree.

From my understanding the biggest issue they're still discussing is the battery plants and whether the uaw members will have a place there.

Edit: also just for full disclosure I think they should take their current economic package but I do understand their perspective on the battery plants as I mentioned above. 20-24% wage increases match inflation and with their cost of living adjustments matching inflation for the future as well it's more than fair imo. It's excellent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread