5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering issues

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Calm down.

Take it in for the following TSB to address the turning noise.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204403-9999.pdf

As for no assist at start up, there's gotta be an EPS fault code stored if that's indeed what's happening.
You should know that telling someone to calm down has the opposite effect. His dealership doesn't seem to be willing or able to take care of his issues. Who can blame him for being a little animated about it?

@Skyrokz have you tried taking it to another dealership? Maybe @RamCares can give you some assistance with this.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
You should know that telling someone to calm down has the opposite effect. His dealership doesn't seem to be willing or able to take care of his issues. Who can blame him for being a little animated about it?

@Skyrokz have you tried taking it to another dealership? Maybe @RamCares can give you some assistance with this.

I know, that's why I did it. The internet is a funny place.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take it in for the following TSB to address the turning noise.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204403-9999.pdf

As for no assist at start up, there's gotta be an EPS fault code stored if that's indeed what's happening.
Thanks for posting that PDF - I recently had to pay my dealer for repairing the grinding noise from the steering wheel - looks like they might've charged me for something they should've fixed for free.

@RamCares - can you DM / Post up if a dealer should be charging for the repair of an NHTSA TSB? I've had my ongoing doubts about this dealer and their practices but this seems like fraud.

Edit* For OP's sake, I've had to replace my steering rack as well, shorted out when I was in the snow, miles from the highway. the steering locked up when in motion which I was lucky enough to feel occuring and slowed before crashing off-road into an embankment. The rack took some time to secure from another dealer, though this was back around the time this original post was created. Ever since then the steering hasn't ridden perfectly centered and the grinding noise was present until the dealer charged me for the fix

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that PDF - I recently had to pay my dealer for repairing the grinding noise from the steering wheel - looks like they might've charged me for something they should've fixed for free.

@RamCares - can you DM / Post up if a dealer should be charging for the repair of an NHTSA TSB? I've had my ongoing doubts about this dealer and their practices but this seems like fraud.

Edit* For OP's sake, I've had to replace my steering rack as well, shorted out when I was in the snow, miles from the highway. the steering locked up when in motion which I was lucky enough to feel occuring and slowed before crashing off-road into an embankment. The rack took some time to secure from another dealer, though this was back around the time this original post was created. Ever since then the steering hasn't ridden perfectly centered and the grinding noise was present until the dealer charged me for the fix
Greetings,
Many TSB are not covered when a truck is out of warranty. An inspection by a trained technician is required to determine if something is going to be covered under the applicable warranty. Please know that you may visit Official Mopar® Site | Mopar Select Vehicle to learn more about your Warranty.

Rob
Ram Cares

MatthewMjr

Reaction score
Hi All,

Monday morning, I was heading into work and had to swerve to miss a bus coming out of a side street. I ran over something in the road that broke the electrical connectors on my steering rack. My truck is a 2022 Limited. I was able to safely pull into a parking lot and look at the problem. I found 2 connectors going into the steering rack disconnected and the connectors that they were plugged into broken. I was able to plug the plugs back in and get the truck home. I called my dealer on Tuesday and had AAA two it to the dealer. The dealer called me yesterday and said they must put a new steering rack into the truck. The cost is $3100.

This begs the question if this truck is made to do off road with why is there no protection from something being able to destroy the electrical connections to the rack and pinion steering?

I think that something should be done to help me out seeing that these connections are just hanging out without any protection at all covering them.
Plus BTW the truck is un-drivable without the electric power assistance. This is very dangerous in my opinion.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi All,

Monday morning, I was heading into work and had to swerve to miss a bus coming out of a side street. I ran over something in the road that broke the electrical connectors on my steering rack. My truck is a 2022 Limited. I was able to safely pull into a parking lot and look at the problem. I found 2 connectors going into the steering rack disconnected and the connectors that they were plugged into broken. I was able to plug the plugs back in and get the truck home. I called my dealer on Tuesday and had AAA two it to the dealer. The dealer called me yesterday and said they must put a new steering rack into the truck. The cost is $3100.

This begs the question if this truck is made to do off road with why is there no protection from something being able to destroy the electrical connections to the rack and pinion steering?

I think that something should be done to help me out seeing that these connections are just hanging out without any protection at all covering them.
Plus BTW the truck is un-drivable without the electric power assistance. This is very dangerous in my opinion.
Make an insurance claim.

MatthewMjr

Reaction score
I don't want to make an insurance claim. Plus the truck has been repaired. I think there should be some kind of protection to keep something like this from happening.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I don't want to make an insurance claim. Plus the truck has been repaired. I think there should be some kind of protection to keep something like this from happening.

Steering gear skid plate is included in the offroad package.

Should they put protective plates over the entire front end, to avoid damage when you HIT SOMETHING DOING AN EVASIVE MANUEVER?

Put that last part in caps so that what happened sinks in. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread