5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering issues

Bnguyen0

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 limited, less than 100 miles and electric power steering module shorted out. Dealership said the whole rack and pinion has to be replaced and is on back order. It’s been a month with multiple calls to FCA almost everyday. No new update on part. This is terrible. Spent $75k + on the truck and can’t even drive it. FCA won’t pull one of the assembly line because they already got your money and your problem is not their problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW: In 2 years on this board this is the 2nd time I've heard of a rack/pinon replacement being needed, though the wait also sounded the same, dealer couldn't secure a R&P due to none in stock.

Good luck! @RamCares will surely reach out to help escalate your case, be sure to have your dealer visit docs handy

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 limited, less than 100 miles and electric power steering module shorted out. Dealership said the whole rack and pinion has to be replaced and is on back order. It’s been a month with multiple calls to FCA almost everyday. No new update on part. This is terrible. Spent $75k + on the truck and can’t even drive it. FCA won’t pull one of the assembly line because they already got your money and your problem is not their problem.

Hi @Bnguyen0, we are sorry for the delay in response! We would certainly like to assist in resolving this for you, as we understand the trouble that this delay may be causing you. Please send over a private message with your VIN so that we may work to get this part delivered as soon as possible, thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

ddragg1

Reaction score

Has this issue been resolved? I have a 2021 limited edition longhorn with 3k miles and power steering just went out. At the dealership now.

Bnguyen0

Reaction score
Has this issue been resolved? I have a 2021 limited edition longhorn with 3k miles and power steering just went out. At the dealership now.

Yes, 2 months later. I had to call FCA almost on a daily basis to get them to push the manufacturing process.

ddragg1

Reaction score
Yes, 2 months later. I had to call FCA almost on a daily basis to get them to push the manufacturing process.

Got mine back today. Said they had to replace the gear. Everything seems fine for now. Glad you got yours running too.

BlackRebelUT

Reaction score
Misery loves company... that's the good news. 2021 Rebel - 700 miles on it and owned it 8 weeks. Had various electrical problems that culminated into loss of power steering and locking up my wheel. Just heard back from the dealer, told the electronic power steering needs to be replaced, that it threw a high voltage code but national backorder and could be 1-2 months before the part comes in. Is this truck safe to drive?

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but should of filed for lemon law. lemon laws covers cars out of service due to back ordered parts.

Rochinha

Reaction score
So I have a 2021 Ram 1500 with the same issue, had a loss of power steering and received power steering loss error and check engine light. Truck has been at dealer for a month and no lead time on the parts required. Supposedly manufacturers delay and no ETA. Luckily I have a small loaner but need my truck back! Anyone have any insight on this issue or what our rights are? Ridiculous as truck as a few thousand miles and only a few months old but yet stilling making my lease payments.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a 2021 Ram 1500 with the same issue, had a loss of power steering and received power steering loss error and check engine light. Truck has been at dealer for a month and no lead time on the parts required. Supposedly manufacturers delay and no ETA. Luckily I have a small loaner but need my truck back! Anyone have any insight on this issue or what our rights are? Ridiculous as truck as a few thousand miles and only a few months old but yet stilling making my lease payments.
Find out what your states lemon law is, if it has been at the dealer for 30 days, you may qualify for lemon law. Electrical parts can fail at any time, it happens.

jhow3

Reaction score
I too am dealing with the exact same issue. I've posted a picture for those who are or may experience this issue. I hope @RamCares can help me with the problem. My local dealer stated they could not lend a vehicle until they officially diagnosed the problem. My EPS malfunctions sporadically so it makes driving long distances and dropping my kids off at school unsafe.

IMG_0632.jpeg

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I too am dealing with the exact same issue. I've posted a picture for those who are or may experience this issue. I hope @RamCares can help me with the problem. My local dealer stated they could not lend a vehicle until they officially diagnosed the problem. My EPS malfunctions sporadically so it makes driving long distances and dropping my kids off at school unsafe.

View attachment 119478
Hi,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares

firemedic190

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue on my 22 Ram 1500. Purchased on 2/16/22. Issues started on 2/17. EPS would give me an error on startup stating “service power steering,” I was unable to move the wheel. A quick on/off cycle cleared the issue. In total, the truck gave me this error 34 times. I dropped it off to the dealer three times since I purchased it, and on the third visit (3/2/22) I got the dreaded call that they need to replace the entire rack. They were getting a bunch of error codes associated with this involving loss of communication/loss of power to the EPS. Part won’t be in until 3/31 at the earliest. Thankfully mine never gave out while driving. From what my service advisor told me, he’s been hearing a lot of the 22’s are having this issue across the country and only seven of these racks are sent out each week across the country. I’ll keep everyone updated with what my experience is just in case you’re going through this too.

Last edited:

brentwasham

Reaction score
This is obviously a spiking problem with the Ram 1500s since same part fits 2013-2021 (and maybe '22). I have a 2013 1500 with 85K miles that suffered the catastrophic failure while on a trip a couple weeks ago. After detailed research on the rack and pinion gear assembly recalls and part availablity, I came to realize there are no suppliers nationwide with the part, its on national backorder everywhere whether new or rebuilt. One rebuilder will take your old part and rebuild it, no time estimate. The only silver lining is that the truck is still somewhat drivable, as long as you don't encounter a tight parking lot or sharp turn from a dead stop into traffic. Luckily I'm retired and can pick and choose when and where to drive, or borrow the wife's car. Definitely a safety concern and I suspect a huge class action suit in the making from the accidents that will result. So maybe there is some recompense in the foreseeable future, or perhaps the NHTSA will get involved.

Yotaman

Reaction score
Mine has been at the dealership for a month over same issue, mine is a 2019 limited with 22149 miles I had been telling them for a year something was wrong, even had pictures of warning on dash and they never took me serious until it happened to the mechanic on a test drive and he almost wrecked the truck.

Attachments

• warning1.jpg
    warning1.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 56
  • warning2.jpg
    warning2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 55
  • warning3.jpg
    warning3.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Skyrokz

Reaction score
I too am having this issue, 2019 1500 Kentucky derby edition limited, 44k miles. Had the dreaded grinding noise while turning since new and now power steering goes out at startup then kick back on after a few minutes. I dont have the luxury to leave my truck in service for a few months as I use it for work daily. I've been to the dealer and they say they can't find an issue, clearly it's a wide spread issue, so next time it decides to act up on me and I crash since the dealer said there isn't an issue, do I sue fca or the dealership? Geez this truck has been nothing but problems since I got it...

Terrible_One

Reaction score
Though my steering issues are different that most in this thread, it's definitely a common theme on these trucks. Mine is at the dealership now getting diagnosed for the steering wheel "sticking" to the left at higher speeds. Sigh.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I too am having this issue, 2019 1500 Kentucky derby edition limited, 44k miles. Had the dreaded grinding noise while turning since new and now power steering goes out at startup then kick back on after a few minutes. I dont have the luxury to leave my truck in service for a few months as I use it for work daily. I've been to the dealer and they say they can't find an issue, clearly it's a wide spread issue, so next time it decides to act up on me and I crash since the dealer said there isn't an issue, do I sue fca or the dealership? Geez this truck has been nothing but problems since I got it...

Calm down.

Take it in for the following TSB to address the turning noise.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204403-9999.pdf

As for no assist at start up, there's gotta be an EPS fault code stored if that's indeed what's happening.

Users who are viewing this thread