5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Issue

JohnieG87

Reaction score
Here is the TSB. Should be a recall as it is a serious safety issue. RAM should change it to a recall for all trucks with or without warranty.

RAM TSB1.JPG RAM TSB2.JPG

Skinndogg

Reaction score
I'm Having the same issue with a 2021 1500. Been at the dealer with it 3 times, 2 different dealerships. Always the same story, "we can't make it do it?". I mentioned that I read about racks being replaced, and they just looked at me like I had two heads. They checked the ground wire, and flashed the module, without evidence of it happening to them, I believe that's all they will do. Has anyone else had this issue with a 2021? Any surefire ways to replicate it?

Flyby57

Reaction score
I am researching this for a different reason, I just purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 The back ground is this is a salvage truck from water damage. No water past the seat mounts not over the amplifier. This being stated I have the truck running, drove about 10 miles no issues all the electric things working as designed. All this being said I was cleaning the truck letting it run and when the cooling fans kicked on the dash went wild. Now the reason I'm on this page is I could not get my scanners to talk with the truck, I decided to take it to the dealer. I loaded it on a trailer steered fine, I arrived at the dealer the steering was locked in position like when you remove in the key and then pull the steering to one side and spring lock the wheel in position.

This is where it becomes confusing, The service manager was confused. If the electric assist is not working the steering should still work not lock in place , there is no longer a lock position anti theft. I wiggled the wires on the steering rack and now I could steer the truck but no power assist. I am assuming that is the failure of the steering causing all my electric problems so I am looking for any one who has steering issues and recalls on the electric power steering. I have left the truck at the dealer and will let all know what they tell me. I have also started searching for a replacement for either the entire rack or just the control module.

OneChad22

Reaction score
Lost my power assist and have been driving without it for a week. Stopped at the dealer for them to flash it and they had communication errors with the unit. They scheduled to pick my truck up at my work in order to troubleshoot the next day. I left the dealership and went through the carwash and the power steering worked again. I drove a little that night and to work the next morning and it was fine. The guy from the dealership picked it up and when he started it, it had dropped back out. The dealership had their electrical guy look at it and they couldn't figure it out so they wanted me to schedule to drop it off again. So I drove it off the lot with no power steering. My truck was dirty so I decided to try the carwash again. Sure as **** the power steering worked after going through the carwash.

I also contacted ram they said 3yr 36000 mile is all I get. Unfortunately i have 46000 on my 2019 Laramie. Guess I'm not in the recall zone else they would have mentioned it. So frustrating to pay a house payment on these new trucks and this is the outcome. Will update if I figure anything out. If anyone has similar outcomes, please post.

OneChad22

Reaction score
So I figured out my situation. Went through the carwash again and my steering activated (undercarriage blast is what helped) . Put my truck on my lift and tried to see where water was sitting; the plugs that plug into the rack were full of water. I cleaned them good with QD electronics cleaner and filled them with Dieelectric grease. Both plugs had a considerable amount of debris in them. Debris might have been from the undercoating I get yearly to protect my investment (I get a chuckle when I say that). I did order a new harness because one of the plugs doesnt seat all the way (zip ties for now pic attached). So long story short, if you get undercoated yearly make sure to do maintenance on your plugs. Glad the electrical guy and mechanics at the dealer suggested I get a whole new unit. Hope this helps some of you with the same issues.

Attachments

• 20220115_111045.jpg
    20220115_111045.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 35

Flyby57

Reaction score
So let me see if I understand this, the connector had water and corrosion in the large wire plug in. This was causing your issues with the steering to be flaky? Working sometime and others time not. Did this send off all kinds of error messages when it stoped working? I’ve been searching for a replacement rack and they are on back order everywhere I have looked. Used ones I find are overpriced to me for used parts.
Next why isn’t this a recall safety issue seems that this part is subject to the environment and should have been water tight. Especially on a 4 wheel drive unit.
thanks for any input.

OneChad22

Reaction score
I meant to update this. So after my previous post my steering went out again. Went through the carwash and it came back on. I opened the hood when returning home to see if anything else was saturated with water. Saw water puddled up by the wire that grounds to the stud on the frame. I turned the wheel all the way to the left and pulled off the plastic in the inter fender wells (8mm). Took the ground off the stud (10mm cap nut)and cleaned it real good. Put it all back together and it worked for awhile. Went to pull my truck in the garage that night and the steering went out. Went in the house got a bottle of water and dumped it on the ground, my power steering came back on Again. Yesterday I took the ground off ground a little spot to get a better connection and tapped a hole into the frame. I fastened the wire to the spot I ground with a self tapping metal hex head screw and smeared it with some die electrical grease. It hasn't went out on me yesterday or today. I will keep posting if it fails or if it continues to work. Guess I'm still troubleshooting 🤷‍♂️

OneChad22

Reaction score
My steering is still working. I am a firm believer that there might is an issue with the stud for the ground. I will replicate the process I went through when my new wire harness comes in, just to be certain.

OneChad22

Reaction score
Where is Ram Cares? Funny how intermittent steering issues aren't on their radar (I forgot I'm past my warranty). Might as well have bought a 20 year old truck if I want to diagnose problems on my everyday driver. First time Ram owner and not impressed.

Flyby57

Reaction score
Back to one of my original questions on this, did it through all kinds of codes when it stoped working? Mine actually locked the steering until I jiggled the wires then I had standard steering that problem is a safety issue. The next problem is the rack seems to be on a long back order. Unless some one knows where to get one this week?

OneChad22

Reaction score
Back to one of my original questions on this, did it through all kinds of codes when it stoped working? Mine actually locked the steering until I jiggled the wires then I had standard steering that problem is a safety issue. The next problem is the rack seems to be on a long back order. Unless some one knows where to get one this week?
Mine threw all kinds of codes at the dealer. It didnt lock but it took a lot of muscle to wheel it.

OneChad22

Reaction score
Steering lasted 5 days without cutting out. Now it is intermittent again, to the dealership it goes.

OneChad22

Reaction score
Went to the dealership, same old song and dance. Blamed the issue on water getting in my plug. I told them water helped reactivate the steering smh. Long story short, I ordered a new harness. I cut the heat shrink on the ground and found corrosion (pic attached). Steering has been good ever since.

Attachments

• 20220205_181226.jpg
    20220205_181226.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 27

cactus99

Reaction score
Did anyone have this issue fixed? I am taking mine into the dealer next week because I have been experiencing the same issue for years. @RamCares I'm sure you've seen this same issue pop-up on numerous threads - anything you can do to help support my case? Any "proof" or material to help support this issue would be great. Feel free to DM me and we can chat more.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did anyone have this issue fixed? I am taking mine into the dealer next week because I have been experiencing the same issue for years. @RamCares I'm sure you've seen this same issue pop-up on numerous threads - anything you can do to help support my case? Any "proof" or material to help support this issue would be great. Feel free to DM me and we can chat more.
More info on your truck would help. Some DTs were recalled for an improper bolt installed that caused steering loss. ( Some idiot honcho at the plant had the wrong bolts used, without engineering approval, thinking all bolts are alike. They are not, and it was a special bolt.) You don't give any info, so don't know if you may have bought used, and the previous owner just didn't have a recall performed. Add truck info to your signature.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Please send us a PM with your VIN, we will check if there are any TSB bulletins for your vehicle. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread