5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering grind

fmathey

Reaction score
do You have air suspension. I’ve heard something like this too when my truck is in entry exit and pulling out of the garage
Negative, no air suspension. It's a Laramie without all the bells and whistles.

fmathey

Reaction score
Going into the service department for look #3 today. They think it might be the steering rack but they are working with FCA engineering to figure it out so they might have it for awhile... updates to come.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Going into the service department for look #3 today. They think it might be the steering rack but they are working with FCA engineering to figure it out so they might have it for awhile... updates to come.

Thank you for taking the time to keep us posted, looking forward to your next update!

Mark
RamCares

fmathey

Reaction score
Service department had the truck for several days and have decided that the steering rack will be the next thing replaced. I have the truck back while they order up the parts and they say it will be a one-day repair. More to come...

klotz50

Reaction score
In the videos above that is the exact sound my truck made when turning right at slow speed. Dealer replaced the rack & pinion and that resolved the issue. Fixed at around 8k miles and has not happened again. 40k miles now
save exact behavior and sounds on my 2019 limited. interestingly, I just had new tires installed and truck was up on a lift. since then, the sound and feel had completely disappeared. not sure what caused the change??? but I will take it for now. hope this is a lasting fix.

CaptainKlossJ23

Reaction score
Well, service department after contacting with FCA decided that they will not going to do anything right now... My case at RAM care was closed and as for now it will be close to a year that i'm driving with that noise.....

Rathiem

Reaction score
Wanted to wait a couple days before posting an update but this looks to be fixed for me. Ultimately it was a differential fluid issue, which is one of the shared fixes across the threads in this subject. I have the 3.92 rear end with LSD. What I’m struggling with is how difficult this has been to diagnose by the respective dealers. Dealer #2 was much better at diagnosis, listening and ultimately solving the problem. I equate it to just seeing more vehicles and having more tenured staff and mechanics than the 1st dealer. Tracing this all the way back I had zero issues for the first 16k miles or so. Towed a boat and launched and recovered at a very shallow ramp which had the rear end submerged for >5-10 mins. They shared that this was a potential introduction of moisture to the fluid, which makes sense cause I had the issue for the subsequent 3k miles and upon seeing the fluid they said it had bubbles in it but was not milky at all. You drive so often you become numb to changes over time but I can tell you this has also fixed the surging when letting off the brake or restarting from stop/start and the truck is more stable when crossing expansion areas on the highway like bridge transitions. They also suggested doing the rear differential fluid service every 30k miles anyway having seen other issues, especially those that tow more. Hoping this helps others experiencing the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tegan

Reaction score
I have the same sound when I turn to the right sometimes. It is typically when I turn into a parking spot. I called my dealer and they said FCA had no fix yet and they could not do anything until they do. It sounds like you guys are getting some solutions. Any ETA on engineering coming up with a solution?

Rebel82

Reaction score
Don’t waste your time with RAMCares. They’ll open up a case for you only to tell you they don’t have a solution. Open up a lemon case in your state. They build a product and can’t stand by it. They’ll redesign the truck long before they figure out a solution.

gibbynd

Reaction score
I had new tires put on this morning. In addition they did a front end alignment. So far I have not heard the noise. I will update in a couple of days to see if it returns.

gibbynd

Reaction score
it's been over 2 days with the new tires and the noise and not reappeared. I don't know if it was the tires or something else.

fmathey

Reaction score
My truck is in the dealership for the 4th time, this time they are replacing the whole steering column... Updates coming

fmathey

Reaction score
UPDATE - I picked up the truck last night after my dealership consulted with FCA Engineering. They agreed to eliminate EVERYTHING on the top side so they opted to swap in an ENTIRE steering column. I picked it up yesterday at 5pm and have since driven about 60 miles to include many slow speed laps around the Dodge parking lot making slow right turns... so far no more grinding sound... but time will tell.

fmathey

Reaction score
Bad news, replacing the entire steering column DID NOT fix my issue... so FCA has replaced the entire top end of the steering assembly and it looks like the only thing left is the power steering rack under the truck (it's electric power steering). My service department is contacting FCA to see what they want to do now.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bad news, replacing the entire steering column DID NOT fix my issue... so FCA has replaced the entire top end of the steering assembly and it looks like the only thing left is the power steering rack under the truck (it's electric power steering). My service department is contacting FCA to see what they want to do now.
That was a lot of work and a lot of money for FCA to get it wrong. Hopefully they figure something out. I get it a little too. I've seen tires, rack, steering column (now), driveshaft, and differential oil change done to troubleshoot this. I still don't think anyone has found a lasting solution.

fmathey

Reaction score
That was a lot of work and a lot of money for FCA to get it wrong. Hopefully they figure something out. I get it a little too. I've seen tires, rack, steering column (now), driveshaft, and differential oil change done to troubleshoot this. I still don't think anyone has found a lasting solution.

I am starting to think that a few of us are the Guinea pigs in this lab experiment! I just hope they get it right soon.

Chuckb

Reaction score
Same exact issue with my 2019 limited. In the dealer twice and they can’t recreate it and send me on my merry way. I would love to get some help and resolution!

fmathey

Reaction score
After a lot of back and forth FCA engineering has said that the problem is a software issue. The entire steering system is electric and apparently the computer is telling the rack to do something it doesn't like. They say a TSB will be released in Feb to address this issue. Once my truck goes through it I will post up. Good luck everyone.

fmathey

Reaction score
UPDATE: Still no software fix issued. I am trying to contact my local service manager... I hope this issue is not being ignored.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE: Still no software fix issued. I am trying to contact my local service manager... I hope this issue is not being ignored.
Mine was actually the rear differential; although it seemed as if it was coming from the steering. After seeing others who corrected it by changing rear differential fluid; I decided to give it a shot. No grind since I drained the rear differential and refilled it with Valvoline Synpower 75W/140 gear oil.

Users who are viewing this thread