5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering grind

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are we sure the tire isn’t rubbing against the fender liner? That noise kinda sounds like a noise I was getting when part of my fender liner was contacting my tire when I made sharp turns

FL Laramie

Reaction score
Crazy, I didn’t see this and created another thread but these videos seem to be the best replication of the issue I have but I still haven’t found a way to duplicate mine on demand. Right turns 8-12mph while entering or in parking lots 90-180deg turns, no bumps, is when it sticks out to me.

I have a 2019 Limited, air ride, etorque, stock tires, 45k miles and it started for me a few weeks ago. I had my front sway bar links replaced at 38k miles and a wheel alignment and body mounting bolts at 42k miles.

Added picture of the TSB: S20190000003

. View attachment 64301
Mine typically happened when leaving a stop sign or in parking lots. Same speed, 8-12 mph. Happened when turning both right and left. The first couple of times the dealer said they couldn't duplicate it. The third time I told them I want the tech to ride with me. Was able to show them the issue during the ride-along. They replaced my rack and pinion. So far so good. First time I noticed it was just after 10k. Finally fixed it at 34k. Was hoping to get it repaired prior to my bumper to bumper warranty ended. Have them do a ride-along until it happens.

RamCares

Reaction score
Thought I’d give an update to my situation. I took RamCares up on the offer to be a liaison between me and my dealer. Night and day difference. As I said before, had my truck at the dealer for the rubbing noise 3 times prior and they never replicated the issue. Today the technician was able to replicate the noise after a ride around the block. As others have been told, they said it’s a known issue by the engineers and they don’t have a fix for it yet. For me, this is progress that I’m happy with and I feel at ease to put my new wheel/suspension set up on without having to worry about the dealer blaming that in the future. My dealer was also extremely generous to order new parts for two other issues I was having. They also offered me a ride back to my place and offered to pick me up once they were done. I don’t know what motivates the extra quality customer service by having that liaison but it was a breath of fresh air.
Thank you for taking the time to keep us posted, @LessDodgeMoreRam! It is great to hear that you are making progress with your dealer and that you feel you are in good hands with your case manager. Please do not hesitate to follow up with me should you experience any communication trouble moving forward. I am always happy to reach out to your case manager on your behalf!
Crazy, I didn’t see this and created another thread but these videos seem to be the best replication of the issue I have but I still haven’t found a way to duplicate mine on demand. Right turns 8-12mph while entering or in parking lots 90-180deg turns, no bumps, is when it sticks out to me.

I have a 2019 Limited, air ride, etorque, stock tires, 45k miles and it started for me a few weeks ago. I had my front sway bar links replaced at 38k miles and a wheel alignment and body mounting bolts at 42k miles.

Added picture of the TSB: S20190000003
Hi @dreinert - If you do work with your dealer to address this, please be sure to follow up with us via PM! I would be happy to get your situation escalated for further support through the dealer service experience.

Mark
RamCares

ghettozoo

Reaction score
Thought I’d give an update to my situation. I took RamCares up on the offer to be a liaison between me and my dealer. Night and day difference. As I said before, had my truck at the dealer for the rubbing noise 3 times prior and they never replicated the issue. Today the technician was able to replicate the noise after a ride around the block. As others have been told, they said it’s a known issue by the engineers and they don’t have a fix for it yet. For me, this is progress that I’m happy with and I feel at ease to put my new wheel/suspension set up on without having to worry about the dealer blaming that in the future. My dealer was also extremely generous to order new parts for two other issues I was having. They also offered me a ride back to my place and offered to pick me up once they were done. I don’t know what motivates the extra quality customer service by having that liaison but it was a breath of fresh air.
Owners have been complaining about this "rubbing" noise when turning for 10 months, why is there no solution? What is RamCares? I called the dealer yesterday with noone answering in the service agent phone que, after being circled back to the operator twice she took my name and number for the manager to call me back after investigating solutions for the noise. It should not be taking so many months to find a solution and I am tired of hearing this loud rubber whine when I make a turn in my new truck.

Last edited:

Rathiem

Reaction score

I’m same as you for now. Assigned case number, researched to the TSB and told no fix as of now. Case closed by FCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does everyone have these marks shown in he pic below? I saw it on another site talking about this issue/noise and looked on my truck and both sides have these same marks. Seems unlikely to be the culprit but odd that it’s occurring and scraping vs just contacting.

Some are wondering if it’s differential related but I would think it would be more readily reproducible if that was the case.

View attachment 64302
I have the same marks in same spots on both sides, not a differential issue, as I am 2WD. I have heard it a few times when doing a full lock turn and pulling into my driveway (uphill) or out of my driveway (down hill) forward and reverse. I chalked it up to my tires (285/55R22) rubbing a little. May take a grinder to that area to add some clearance.

LessDodgeMoreRam

Reaction score
I’m same as you for now. Assigned case number, researched to the TSB and told no fix as of now. Case closed by FCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it’s too soon to say, but I’ve put on bilsteins, Mopar UCAs, new wheels and tires, and I haven’t heard the noise since. I wouldn’t claim it to be fixed, but something has changed enough to mask the problem for now. In the meantime, guess I’ll wait for the recall.

I have the same marks in same spots on both sides, not a differential issue, as I am 2WD. I have heard it a few times when doing a full lock turn and pulling into my driveway (uphill) or out of my driveway (down hill) forward and reverse. I chalked it up to my tires (285/55R22) rubbing a little. May take a grinder to that area to add some clearance.

I would ask a professional before you grind that. I thought those were bump stops and I’ve been told those marks are normal.

gibbynd

Reaction score
Ram cares put in touch with FCA and a case number. FCA emailed me and said there is not fix for the solution right now. My dealer is working with tech but it seems like more and more people are having this issue.

Hazzie

Reaction score
I have posted the same issue previously, but am adding to this thread as it seems as if it is the latest and greatest.

Here is my video example:
2019 Ram noise while turning

I have not yet been able to get the dealer to replicate my issue. I need for someone to ride with me, but they have been unwilling due to COVID. What the heck do we have to do to get this issue fixed. It has largely been a great truck. However, the lack of timely attention (more than a year now) makes me think that no one cares. Terribly frustrating!

fmathey

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum but I am having the exact same problem. I get noise (sounds like tire rub) when turning right only, 1/2 to 3/4 turn and at about 10 mph on level pavement. Stock suspension, OEM tires, 28k miles (started around 15k miles) and the dealer has not been able to replicate. I finally captured it on video and will take it to the dealer and do a ride along soon. Will let you know if we can replicate and what they do.

lragland

Reaction score
Anyone that has this type rubbing/grinding type feeling and noise coming from the rear and has a limited slip differential (lsd), have the dealership check the fluid and make sure has the proper lsd additive for proper operation. See https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2007-01-1988/ . I just had this diagnosed and repaired at the dealership where they drained diff fluid, added new fluid and added proper lsd additive. I have put over 200 miles on the truck and so far so good. Someone mentioned this earlier in another similar thread as well https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/slight-vibration-when-turning-and-braking.10899/post-193948. My 2020 Laramie 4x4 truck has the 3.92 LSD and only has 6000 miles.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum but I am having the exact same problem. I get noise (sounds like tire rub) when turning right only, 1/2 to 3/4 turn and at about 10 mph on level pavement. Stock suspension, OEM tires, 28k miles (started around 15k miles) and the dealer has not been able to replicate. I finally captured it on video and will take it to the dealer and do a ride along soon. Will let you know if we can replicate and what they do.

Just had a chance to respond to your PM on this, @fmathey!

Mark
RamCares

Corndog Nation

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a grind noise when turning right with the wheel at this position? Dealer couldn’t find anything and said FCA engineering is aware of the issue but no fix as of yet. Curious as to who else has this problem.
Yep. I hear the same thing. If I’m turning hard right there’s a grinding noise. Don’t hear it turning left.

RamCares

Reaction score
Yep. I hear the same thing. If I’m turning hard right there’s a grinding noise. Don’t hear it turning left.

If you decide to address this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message so we can ensure you have additional support for that visit!

Mark
RamCares

fmathey

Reaction score
UPDATE: I was able to record the noise and also went by the dealership today and did a ride along with the service manager. We were able to replicate the noise and the dealership believes it is the intermediate shaft, part of the steering rack. They are ordering the part and will replace it this week. I'll update this thread afterward with results.

fmathey

Reaction score
Update:
I picked up my truck yesterday, the dealership replaced the intermediate shaft and bearing and they thought they had it fixed. I immediately drove around the parking lot for about 10 minutes and was able to reproduce the noise 3 times. I am keeping the truck for now while they work with FCA engineering to come up with a plan for what to replace next.

The good news is we did zero in on how to almost consistently reproduce the noise. While driving straight at about 10-12 mph turn the steering wheel SLIGHTLY left (think of a compass, top of the steering wheel is at the 0/360 degree position, move it left slightly to the 340 deg position). Then turn the wheel back to the right 1 to 2 turns, do not accelerate. We have found that this maneuver has a good chance of reproducing the sound on my truck.

And so far I have to thank my service department at CO Springs Dodge. Lisa and Andy are taking this very seriously and have done a great job of keeping me up to date so far. Let's hope FCA Engineering can figure this out.

bvigne01

Reaction score
do You have air suspension. I’ve heard something like this too when my truck is in entry exit and pulling out of the garage

Users who are viewing this thread