5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting to paint most of the full front end

Kaydee

Reaction score
After removing the front end of my 19 longhorn I have completely sanded all of the Chrome on the grill and Grill surrounds and bumper and I'm going to paint that ivory White to match the rest of the truck. The look will be more like the 18 sport because the only Chrome will be the cross slots in the inner Grill and everything else will be painted. I already have them swap my hood for a Sport Hood so I'm thinking it will look pretty good when all done. I'm also painting the mirror caps to match the body

Attachments

• 20180819_082523.jpg
    20180819_082523.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 550
  • 20180819_082454.jpg
    20180819_082454.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 539
  • 20180819_082442.jpg
    20180819_082442.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 522
  • 20180816_141640.jpg
    20180816_141640.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 526

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is awesome seeing pepole customizing these already. It is gonna look good when you are done.

Thanks for showing us the process

Kaydee

Reaction score
It will have most of the look are the 2018 sport. Mostly White with a bit of Chrome on the grill because I have some Chrome around the perimeter of the truck. Everything was sanded very well and Prime with a 2K epoxy primer as I was told that has the most Sealing and stickiness for bare metal and sanded Chrome

Attachments

• 20180814_142523.jpg
    20180814_142523.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 389

Kaydee

Reaction score
My neighbor thinks I'm nuts not to mention other people I know but I think there's too much Chrome on the longhorn and I would just like to minimize it a bit

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, my hat is off to you! Guys that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty are what makes this world go round! 9 days into ownership and I re-engineered my tonneau cover! Other guys are re-engineering sound systems and more.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
Would look really neat if you purchased the black "RAM" letters for the front grill and painted them white to replace the chrome ones.

Kaydee

Reaction score
Couldn't you just paint the chrome ones white? Is it harder because it is chrome?
I thought about painting the RAMlogo and cross slats white but it is a longhorn with some chrome on the sides anyway so leaving a little on the front to coordinate with the sides..I'm doing mirror caps white also

19BlkRam

Reaction score
How did you remove the rear view mirror caps? I have them chrome on my black apppearance package and they are driving me nuts!

Can’t wait to see the finished outcome

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
I thought about painting the RAMlogo and cross slats white but it is a longhorn with some chrome on the sides anyway so leaving a little on the front to coordinate with the sides..I'm doing mirror caps white also

hey @Kaydee - where did you get the ivory tri- coat color match from?

Kaydee

Reaction score
hey @Kaydee - where did you get the ivory tri- coat color match from?
I'm working on the match but we are away for a week and haven't had a chance to get back to it but it is a chromax system but still working on the match I've had to alter the formula and don't want to paint it until I get it right on

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very cool. Love all the modification possibilities on these. Looking forward to seeing the final results.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
looks like a fun project. Did you get the dealer to swap your hood for the sport hood? Did they take it off a sport package truck or they special ordered it? How did you negotiate that in? I just ordered a 2019 limited and wished I could get the sport hood.

Kaydee

Reaction score
looks like a fun project. Did you get the dealer to swap your hood for the sport hood? Did they take it off a sport package truck or they special ordered it? How did you negotiate that in? I just ordered a 2019 limited and wished I could get the sport hood.
It was off an in stock sport. And of course the same color so pretty simple .I paid the 800$ that the optional sport hood upgrade was on the sport truck plus 100$ for labour

DeanKing

Reaction score
I had the same idea. I really liked the appearance of the higher end headlights and nicer leather on the Longhorn and Limited but do not like chrome. So I ordered a Laramie with the Sport package. I told the dealer if they had offered the Limited without all the chrome, I would have gotten that. They said that everytime they get a monochrome color (Tradesman, BigHorn, or Laramie) they sell very fast. My wife thought I was nuts and wouldn't let me pay more for the truck and then tear it apart and paint it. Good for you.

Users who are viewing this thread