5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start/Stop Technology

D

Deleted member103

warmachine said:
I have a deleted diesel that usually idles for 45 minutes a day. I don't really care as I don't have kids either. As long as this planet holds together for another 50 years I'm set
So I take it your part of the "ME Generation".

warmachine

Reaction score
<woltlab-quote data-link="https://5thgenrams.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/196-start-stop-technology/&postID=1891#post1891" data-author="LOU.2">So I take it your part of the "ME Generation".
</woltlab-quote>Pretty much

R

Ryan

Well that's pretty toxic behavior. Both literally and figuratively.

Anyway... I'd like to hear one of these with a cat-back exhaust system

D

Deleted member 85

warmachine said:
I have a deleted diesel that usually idles for 45 minutes a day. I don't really care as I don't have kids either. As long as this planet holds together for another 50 years I'm set
I'm not going to rip on you for this comment, honestly, behind the anonymity of the internet I feel as though that's a fairly accurate thought by most people I know. Whether or not anyone would say this publicly without anonymity I question.

D

Deleted member103

warmachine said:
Pretty much
WA -- I took a 2nd glance at your reply and apparently you have no children . Not totally unusual for a "ME" generation guy, I too have no children (by choice), for you see I AM part of the (problem) "ME" generation ! Surprised ? I have a "feeling" you do not know who the "ME" generation are !? "THEY" are NOT Millenial's, if that is where your age falls into !? "ME's" are BABY BOOMERS born after WWII and I believe before 1959 (?). WE, by far, put the term "man-made-pollution" on the map (so to speak) ! For that I am deeply sorry and wish there was more I could do to help rather than add to the worlds Ecological Problems ! It is not "Fake News" and folks like Mr. Scott Pruit are systematically rolling back ALL EPA Standards & Regulations ! Are you a Sportsman of any kind, hunt, fish, trap, birder ? Know any one who Farms for a living ? WE are ALL being impacted in a huge negative way, as is the Planet; setting OUR SafetyNet for Survival as we currently enjoy it, back in time by 50 years or so ! ! ! It really is a time for action, not rhetoric or "gamesmanship" -- this is REAL !
AND even if the Vast Majority of the Scientific Community are a bit 'OFF" in their calculations -- Don't you think it WISE to ERR on the side of Caution rather than go full bore into the unknown Hazards that DO lie ahead with NO ACTION at all ? ? ? ? ? ?

As you can tell, this has been a life long endeavor of mine since Earth Day #1, and yes I am a bit passionate and knowledgable on the topic, though far from expert -- I humbly consider myself more of a novice/intermediate in the non-professional sense !

So WA -- I do not berate you, i'm simply attempting to offer you the REAL View on things as they are and hope it sheds little "light" for you to better see "things" ! It's all available on line and many other places (Libraries) -- but you WON'T find it on FOX Network TV .
Try PBS.com or "Neutral" places for information . Do I even need to suggest STAY OFF TWITTER, for REAL NEWS ? LOTS of BAD people (apparently) running foot-loose in "the Cloud" -- which is why I never go there !

SO everybody . . . now you know a bit more about who I am and what I stand for, besides being a Proud Navy Retired Vet., and loving this website and enjoying all the camaraderie / banter -- I'm looking at you bb . . . !
One last thing, I consider myself a "pacifist" (not a wussy) but I'm in a "fight" so to speak, since 2014 (or so the doctors say) and I aim to PROLONG the fight well past the 10 round . Not sure what round I'm in, but the "blows" seem to be having a slight feeling of being
a "pain-in-the-****" more of late . But as you can tell, my spirits are UP -- wanting this DT so I can call the BED "Camper-Heaven" ! Getting to frustrated (lack of energy) trying to set up & take down the Kodiak Canvas tent (heavy & bulky) for one ! Tried the back of the G.C. and it's too small etc. !
COME ON FCA GET THE DAMN V6's ON THE ROAD ALL READY . . . TIME MATTERS !
263a.png

1f44d.png

warmachine

Reaction score
<woltlab-quote data-link="https://5thgenrams.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/196-start-stop-technology/&postID=1894#post1894" data-author="BobbiBigWheels">I'm not going to rip on you for this comment, honestly, behind the anonymity of the internet I feel as though that's a fairly accurate thought by most people I know. Whether or not anyone would say this publicly without anonymity I question.
</woltlab-quote>I have no issues saying things to people in public. People are all too worried about offending someone and I find that laughable. Society seems to have forgotten what it's like to have a backbone and can't deal with the fact that someone might have an opinion that differs from their own. I focus on my own personal sphere of influence. I have a limited amount of time on this rock and I'm going to do what I enjoy. I won't disparage Lou for his beliefs or his own focus.
<woltlab-quote data-link="https://5thgenrams.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/196-start-stop-technology/&postID=1895#post1895" data-author="LOU.2">WA -- I took a 2nd glance at your reply and apparently you have no children . Not totally unusual for a "ME" generation guy, I too have no children (by choice), for you see I AM part of the (problem) "ME" generation ! Surprised ? I have a "feeling" you do not know who the "ME" generation are !? "THEY" are NOT Millenial's, if that is where your age falls into !? "ME's" are BABY BOOMERS born after WWII and I believe before 1959 (?). WE, by far, put the term "man-made-pollution" on the map (so to speak) ! For that I am deeply sorry and wish there was more I could do to help rather than add to the worlds Ecological Problems ! It is not "Fake News" and folks like Mr. Scott Pruit are systematically rolling back ALL EPA Standards & Regulations ! Are you a Sportsman of any kind, hunt, fish, trap, birder ? Know any one who Farms for a living ? WE are ALL being impacted in a huge negative way, as is the Planet; setting OUR SafetyNet for Survival as we currently enjoy it, back in time by 50 years or so ! ! ! It really is a time for action, not rhetoric or "gamesmanship" -- this is REAL !
AND even if the Vast Majority of the Scientific Community are a bit 'OFF" in their calculations -- Don't you think it WISE to ERR on the side of Caution rather than go full bore into the unknown Hazards that DO lie ahead with NO ACTION at all ? ? ? ? ? ?

As you can tell, this has been a life long endeavor of mine since Earth Day #1, and yes I am a bit passionate and knowledgable on the topic, though far from expert -- I humbly consider myself more of a novice/intermediate in the non-professional sense !

So WA -- I do not berate you, i'm simply attempting to offer you the REAL View on things as they are and hope it sheds little "light" for you to better see "things" ! It's all available on line and many other places (Libraries) -- but you WON'T find it on FOX Network TV .
Try PBS.com or "Neutral" places for information . Do I even need to suggest STAY OFF TWITTER, for REAL NEWS ? LOTS of BAD people (apparently) running foot-loose in "the Cloud" -- which is why I never go there !

SO everybody . . . now you know a bit more about who I am and what I stand for, besides being a Proud Navy Retired Vet., and loving this website and enjoying all the camaraderie / banter -- I'm looking at you bb . . . !
One last thing, I consider myself a "pacifist" (not a wussy) but I'm in a "fight" so to speak, since 2014 (or so the doctors say) and I aim to PROLONG the fight well past the 10 round . Not sure what round I'm in, but the "blows" seem to be having a slight feeling of being
a "pain-in-the-****" more of late . But as you can tell, my spirits are UP -- wanting this DT so I can call the BED "Camper-Heaven" ! Getting to frustrated (lack of energy) trying to set up & take down the Kodiak Canvas tent (heavy & bulky) for one ! Tried the back of the G.C. and it's too small etc. !
COME ON FCA GET THE DAMN V6's ON THE ROAD ALL READY . . . TIME MATTERS !
263a.png

1f44d.png

</woltlab-quote>I'm not a millennial, I'm GenX. I'm not a hunter or anything of that nature. I also do not have Twitter, Facebook or anything of that sort nor do I watch Fox News or mainstream tv for that matter.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think everyone has their own opinions on global warming/pollution etc, but this isn't the place for it. Lets try to keep this thread on topic. I will remove any further posts going in the other direction.

mrmachaveli

Reaction score
khoward2001 said:
Is the start/stop feture available in the high trim levels without the Etorque system? Or is the Etorque system a requirement to have Start/Stop technology.
All I can add is, I have driven 5 2019 Ram 1500s, 1 Big Horn, 1 Limited, 1 Longhorn Laramie, and 2 Laramies. And none have had start stop in them. None have a place for a button to turn it off. And from what I have read. If you get a 5.7 Hemi, without eTorque, there is NO stop/start on it. And in all honesty you do not save any noticeable mileage with stop/start, its just a cheap in CAFE standards...Now, given the eTorque system, I would not be surprised if 5% on an increase is seen, since it takes a decent amount of gas to start an engine, but I'm betting that 10% is difficult to see, similar as most EPA MPG numbers are hard to achieve. D

riving around a city with a population around 500,000. Part highway and part city, I got 19.6. But I was driving as though it was my drivers test, as well as I could, but it is hard not to bury ones foot into the gas pedal.

My friend's mom has a start and stop in a Durango, and she still hates it. Another friend has a Duragno without start/stop and their MPG is not much different. Though my friend with an f-150 doesn't mind the start/stop. Oddly enough the new 2019 1500 gets better mpg than his ecobost 2017.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
mrmachaveli said:
All I can add is, I have driven 5 2019 Ram 1500s, 1 Big Horn, 1 Limited, 1 Longhorn Laramie, and 2 Laramies. And none have had start stop in them. None have a place for a button to turn it off. And from what I have read. If you get a 5.7 Hemi, without eTorque, there is NO stop/start on it. And in all honesty you do not save any noticeable mileage with stop/start, its just a cheap in CAFE standards...Now, given the eTorque system, I would not be surprised if 5% on an increase is seen, since it takes a decent amount of gas to start an engine, but I'm betting that 10% is difficult to see, similar as most EPA MPG numbers are hard to achieve. D

riving around a city with a population around 500,000. Part highway and part city, I got 19.6. But I was driving as though it was my drivers test, as well as I could, but it is hard not to bury ones foot into the gas pedal.

My friend's mom has a start and stop in a Durango, and she still hates it. Another friend has a Duragno without start/stop and their MPG is not much different. Though my friend with an f-150 doesn't mind the start/stop. Oddly enough the new 2019 1500 gets better mpg than his ecobost 2017.
Correct, the non eTorque Hemi's don't have the start stop system.

Turbo setups are good for MPG in EPA tests, in the real world it's different unless you really baby it and stay out of boost which isn't so easy to do as a lot of these small engines have small turbos that spin up quickly.

My 5.7 Hemi 3.92 geared Ram gets pretty much the same real world fuel mileage as my friends 2016 2.7 Ecoboost F150 in similar driving conditions.

J

jimh4662@

Ram 5.7 without Etorq, does not come equipped with ESS.? Great!
1f44d.png

I was all over the internet looking for a HACK, jumper, etc. Even researching local Repair shops who might have the Chrysler scan tool to disable it. On another note: they did not meet the estimated ship date April 7th ? Customer service stated, after 30 days wait, they can send the inquiry on production status up the chain. Whatever that entails. Not sure if I want to draw attention to it at the 30 day mark? Having the truck go down the line with a big sign, (THIS IMPATIENT PAIN IN THE *** COULDN'T WAIT ) Them union worker might disable my Harmon Kardon woofer.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
Correct, the non eTorque Hemi's don't have the start stop system.

Turbo setups are good for MPG in EPA tests, in the real world it's different unless you really baby it and stay out of boost which isn't so easy to do as a lot of these small engines have small turbos that spin up quickly.

My 5.7 Hemi 3.92 geared Ram gets pretty much the same real world fuel mileage as my friends 2016 2.7 Ecoboost F150 in similar driving conditions.
That's good news, as I drive a '16 F150 with the 2.7....17mpg over 53,000 miles. So far I'm looking at a Hemi Ram, 3.21 no eTorque.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
That's good news, as I drive a '16 F150 with the 2.7....17mpg over 53,000 miles. So far I'm looking at a Hemi Ram, 3.21 no eTorque.
Thats about what we both get. I've seen as high as 25 on a long highway trip.

J

jimh4662@

Yes, I've got 24.8 on trips from Maryland to Scranton, PA and on to New Hampshire and back. Mixed terrain.

D

Deleted member103

jimh4662@ said:
Yes, I've got 24.8 on trips from Maryland to Scranton, PA and on to New Hampshire and back. Mixed terrain.
Yes this is OK news but not any improvement over the "Old, 2002 re-intro-Hemi" ! My 2003 DODGE 4X2 SLT got similar and on longer trips (Interstate) slightly over 25 -- yes yes, no need to go over (AGAIN) the ins-outs of Calculating vs. Vehicle computer ! It's already been proven (in the Gen. 4's that the Computer seems to be very accurate in this regard ! I'm hoping, for those that opt for the Hemi with eTorque, their mpg's will indeed see that 10% improvement -- as also indicated by Jarad a few weeks ago when I inquired about this with (my) the V6, std. with eTorque -- hopefully that means 20/21 city and 25+ out on the Interstate !

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
Thats about what we both get. I've seen as high as 25 on a long highway trip.
What speed is that at? The 2.7 really drops off at 70+mph. My best tank is 20.0, typically 17.5-18 with a mix of city/highway driving, but I'm into the turbo's a lot and have a heavy right foot.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
What speed is that at? The 2.7 really drops off at 70+mph. My best tank is 20.0, typically 17.5-18 with a mix of city/highway driving, but I'm into the turbo's a lot and have a heavy right foot.
That's right between 65-70 ish and was pretty much all flat terrain. Perfect conditions really.

Users who are viewing this thread