5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start/Stop Technology

khoward2001

Reaction score
Is the start/stop feture available in the high trim levels without the Etorque system? Or is the Etorque system a requirement to have Start/Stop technology.

76rich

Reaction score
I believe that is all part of one technology. If you really want start/stop, you will need e-torque.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No it's not part of e-torque. When it was first introduced it was available on the HFE Ram which was a 2wd 2 door version V8. This is what got the best fuel mileage.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I was told that start/stop is standard on all configurations although there has been no clarification from FCA on whether you have to have the eTorque system to have it or not.

D

Deleted member103

My 2016 Jeep Laredo 4X4 (75th version) - Standard Stop/Start, & across the board. IF RAM were to "create" some "stupid" restriction/requirement of etorque that would be Ridiculous, at this stage & time !

Highly anticipating those 10% mpg's - 'specially with the V6 eTorque std.) ! Hoping those Sticker-EPA numbers (Hemi w/o eTorque) are incorrect - could there be a hacker messing with the system ?
1f914.png

263a.png

khoward2001

Reaction score
I am with you, I don’t know how they could have the same EPA average as the outgoing model when they made this one lighter, more aerodynamic, added the functional air dam, and overall better efficiency. Doesn’t make any sense. I am hoping that they offer the start stop technology across the board because I did not get the E torque system and I really would like that feature

J

jimh4662@

the 2019 RAM models shown on all the reveal videos, and locations that are showing the model's show the A for Elec.start/stop button to the left of the shift knob. Do a search for 2019 RAM interior, click on images. I personally don't want my vehicle shutting off at a stop light.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
jimh4662@ said:
the 2019 RAM models shown on all the reveal videos, and locations that are showing the model's show the A for Elec.start/stop button to the left of the shift knob. Do a search for 2019 RAM interior, click on images. I personally don't want my vehicle shutting off at a stop light.
you will be able to shut off the stop/start. my wife has a 2017 grand cherokee summit. there is a button to shut this off if you don't want it on.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
I know you can turn the start/stop off, but has anyone thought how annoying it will be when you have the truck coming back to life when you have an aftermarket exhaust? The Carven Progressive muffler is going to be one of my first mods, So I guess I'll be one of the ginuea pigs.

R

Ryan

DSOOBY said:
I know you can turn the start/stop off, but has anyone thought how annoying it will be when you have the truck coming back to life when you have an aftermarket exhaust? The Carven Progressive muffler is going to be one of my first mods, So I guess I'll be one of the ginuea pigs.
Never really thought about it. V8s need to have a shutoff feature that doesn’t have to be activated every time you start the truck. That’s the only way it makes sense on the louder engines.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
That has crossed my mind. I'd probably disable the start stop every time I started the truck if not had it disabled permanently with a tuner. I know on the Fords you can jumper the switch to disable it or it automatically disables if something is plugged into the trailer wiring connection.

khoward2001

Reaction score
From all the videos I have watched and numerous comments on it, it appears the Start/Stop feature is only an option with the ETorque system.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it saves me a little at the pump and cuts down on pollution I'm all for it. My wife's Escape has it and isn't a big deal.

D

Deleted member 85

It's a proven technology that truly improves economy. Be mindful the tech has been around since 94' in VWs, and common place for a decade in luxury cars. If you drive a truck like a commuter vehicle, start/stop won't be all that intrusive. If you drive a truck like a V8 muscle car, it'll **** you off.

D

Deleted member103

BobbiBigWheels said:
It's a proven technology that truly improves economy. Be mindful the tech has been around since 94' in VWs, and common place for a decade in luxury cars. If you drive a truck like a commuter vehicle, start/stop won't be all that intrusive. If you drive a truck like a V8 muscle car, it'll **** you off.
IT is a bit Finicky, seems to have a mind of its own -- as per my 2016 G.C. experience ! IT Only works well once your vehicle engine/tranny are "Up-to-Temp" ! And I found that even when you think that is the case, IF you turn on (say) the A.C. or a bunch of other electronic/electrical stuff IT seems to react to that in a negative way - intermittent functioning ! One "place" I find it REALLY annoying is when IT is working as it should and I pull into my garage _ or any place else (i.e.; parking spot) / put the shifter from D to P and the motor cuts off and restarts - EVERY DAMN TIME ! Swear it's gonna wear out the starter, or . . . ? SO, my Solution has become -- when I know I'm gonna Park somewhere (garage/store . . .)
I DESELECT the Star/ Stop (turning it off) and that issue doesn't happen . . . but even having to DO that is a Pain in the **** !
2639.png
!

D

Deleted member103

edrclark said:
A mopar video on stop/start

https://youtu.be/itw2g8XSZrk
Well, ED, I had seen this, but not before I wrote my entry above . . . I stand by MY findings and ridiculously necessary solution (to maintain sanity), and again, note it being a MAJOR PAIN IN THE **** ! ! ! Hopefully the eTorque'd V6 will allow the Engine/Tranny/Battery to "Get Up to Temps" and stay there much quicker ! My Short-ish trips to town and back home apparently don't keep the battery at Optimum Levels "Charge/Temp" thus when I come to the stop lights, the system hasn't and still doesn't shut down -- mind you we here are experiencing Above Freezing Temps and into the upper 40's to 50+ degrees (usually) . A couple times now the dealership has tweeted the Uconnect system to correct it, it does so at first but quickly reverts back to not working "as intended" when you'll think all conditions are met ! After all it is supposed to be FOR Local Use Conditions / start/stop traffic situations !
But, hopefully soon when I go on longer trips and finally stop . . . conditions will be met and it works ! They should be working on some sort of "fix" / probably are, but won't say there is a "problem" -- and the answer to that is obvious and one can't blame them for being "protective" of their "baby" !
263a.png
GO RAM
1f44d.png

warmachine

Reaction score
I hope they don’t have it. We have it on our Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and it’s annoying that once it’s turned off it defaults back to being enabled in the next start. Gas is cheap anyway.

D

Deleted member103

warmachine said:
I hope they don’t have it. We have it on our Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and it’s annoying that once it’s turned off it defaults back to being enabled in the next start. Gas is cheap anyway.
It's more about protecting the environment -- ever been stuck in CITY traffic surrounded by all sorts of vehicles, gas & diesel, some older spewing out black obnoxious (toxic) fumes ? Even the NEW ones do but you just can't SEE it as yet ! I have & I can tell you IT SUCKS . . . I'm sure Mother Nature Agrees as well ! AT some point in human history (IF we make it that far/I'm guessing about 100 years from now) your grand children will be Either Content or VERY Angry (and choking) at YOU (& me) for not doing MORE to SALVAGE what's left of the Atmosphere we ALL share across the GLOBE ! That's my main reason for a V6 and IF someone made an affordable 4X4 off road-able pickup that was more environmentally friendly, I would buy it ! Come on FCA get with the program . . . eTorque AIN'T the answer but at least it'a a tiny baby step in the right direction ! BUT it ain't gonna Save Us from ourselves ! And that has been your commentary for the day (again).
<h3>I read an article just this morning in our local paper - PORTUGAL of all places, Produces 103+% of it's Energy by RENEWABLE WIND & SOLAR CLEAN SOURCES -- that is fantastic . . . and why isn't USA or Canada anywhere remotely close to that ? Greed & Corruption in Politics & Corporate Boards EVERYWHERE you look ! some would say "SAD" -- I would say, ABSOLUTELY !
</h3>

warmachine

Reaction score
<woltlab-quote data-link="https://5thgenrams.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/196-start-stop-technology/&postID=1878#post1878" data-author="LOU.2">It's more about protecting the environment -- ever been stuck in CITY traffic surrounded by all sorts of vehicles, gas & diesel, some older spewing out black obnoxious (toxic) fumes ? Even the NEW ones do but you just can't SEE it as yet ! I have & I can tell you IT SUCKS . . . I'm sure Mother Nature Agrees as well ! AT some point in human history (IF we make it that far/I'm guessing about 100 years from now) your grand children will be Either Content or VERY Angry (and choking) at YOU (& me) for not doing MORE to SALVAGE what's left of the Atmosphere we ALL share across the GLOBE ! That's my main reason for a V6 and IF someone made an affordable 4X4 off road-able pickup that was more environmentally friendly, I would buy it ! Come on FCA get with the program . . . eTorque AIN'T the answer but at least it'a a tiny baby step in the right direction ! BUT it ain't gonna Save Us from ourselves ! And that has been your commentary for the day (again).
<h3>I read an article just this morning in our local paper - PORTUGAL of all places, Produces 103+% of it's Energy by RENEWABLE WIND & SOLAR CLEAN SOURCES -- that is fantastic . . . and why isn't USA or Canada anywhere remotely close to that ? Greed & Corruption in Politics & Corporate Boards EVERYWHERE you look ! some would say "SAD" -- I would say, ABSOLUTELY !
</h3>
</woltlab-quote>I have a deleted diesel that usually idles for 45 minutes a day. I don't really care as I don't have kids either. As long as this planet holds together for another 50 years I'm set

Users who are viewing this thread