5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start of 2022 Production.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to squeeze all the payload I could out of it or I'd have gone 33 gallon just to have it.

Additional weight of the tank itself is minimal. You “gain” 6.3 lbs of payload every 8-9 miles towing, so you quickly end up with the same payload as the smaller tank.

Derek916

Reaction score
I was six days from BS to WS. With the holidays, the virus, weather and everything else going it seems pretty random right now.

Question: I see a lot of guys like you with multiple orders. I had to put $1000 down, and it's non-refundable. How are folks ordering multiple trucks? Are you guys planning on flipping them, or will your dealers allow you to order without a deposit?
Mark Dodge was willing to roll my deposit to the new truck. I had to sign a release form. Honestly they were probably happy. The truck I ordered sold in a week plus they still have me on the books. One thing I notice is it’s hard to find a truck on a lot with any noteworthy features. My local dealer has Laramies with no extra features.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of that. My original statement was referring to caring that extra weight as an option for carrying extra fuel when found at a lower cost vs the $495 to have that option added. But I do agree with you.

However being the nerd that am I...if my truck ever comes in I will drive for a month and keep track of mileage out the 3 decimal points in the old pen and notebook method. Then for a month strap a container in the bed next to the cab with 7.46 gallons of water. Negligible no doubt. But when you are talking $5-$8 difference to carry that weight then it could be significant.

Again unless you are towing a trailer 60-70% of the time 23, 26, or 33 is just a preference. If I knew there was a 26 gallon option I would have chose it. But now my nerd curiosity is piqued and I am just compelled to do the experiment.
Make sure you drain a gallon out every 15-20 miles, or your data will be incorrect. 62 pounds is about half the weight of an average wife, and I doubt you'll see a gas mileage difference if you take your wife with you on a trip. Just my $0.02...

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you drain a gallon out every 15-20 miles, or your data will be incorrect. 62 pounds is about half the weight of an average wife, and I doubt you'll see a gas mileage difference if you take your wife with you on a trip. Just my $0.02...
Damn boy!! you are treading on thin ice mentioning the average wife's weight!! But I agree with you!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Additional weight of the tank itself is minimal. You “gain” 6.3 lbs of payload every 8-9 miles towing, so you quickly end up with the same payload as the smaller tank.
Everything I've seen here and on random VINs I pulled shows I'd lose almost 100 lbs of payload.

33 gallon fuel tank - 73 (91 if eTorque equipped)

Mind you, I'm talking what's on the sticker to make things easier for me. Just wasn't worth it to lose that much considering how I'll use the truck.

SC_Ram_Guy

Reaction score
Why drain the water. The weight of the gas in the 23 gallon take will be dropping over time....same as with the 33 gallon tank. Over the course of a week or so the 33 gallon tank will be carrying that extra weight over what a 26 gallon would be holding.

JDK6653

Reaction score
No new build sheets this morning, plant may have closed for the New Years yesterday.
Still may see window stickers tonight so I will back then.

Hope everyone has a great end of 2021!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Guessing they will restart Sunday or Monday?

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Why drain the water. The weight of the gas in the 23 gallon take will be dropping over time....same as with the 33 gallon tank. Over the course of a week or so the 33 gallon tank will be carrying that extra weight over what a 26 gallon would be holding.
I guess it depends on how long you carry out the experiment. When the 23 gallon tank is empty, it will have to be refilled and will be carrying more weight, while the 33 gallon tank will have 10 gallons left and weigh less.

Kinda fun as a speculative exercise, but in the real world I suspect you'd never see any difference, especially on a nearly 3 ton truck.

I also know better than to argue with engineers, as I have a friend that is a good one. I asked him once if a water bottle frozen to -20° would stay cold longer than one frozen to +10° I got a six page reply on the laws of thermodynamics, complete with charts and graphs, but no answer. When I pressed him on the answer, he gave me a qualified "Maybe"...

Last edited:

Ram_702

Reaction score
That’s literally EXACTLY half my wife’s weight. 😂
I got the 33 gallon tank because I HATE gas stations and driving 800+ miles without having to stop at one is worth every penny. BTW I also hate Pigeons and Taxi drivers. Oh, and I am not an engineer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night … 😜

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And it’s worth every penny i have to pay for gas.

Speaking of which, my first Rebel came in to the dealer (the one that the factory tinkered with, and didn’t get built correctly). So I went and Saw it last night. My name was on the window sticker (awww…). And I’ll admit, it’s a nice truck.
My second Rebel is slated to arrive next week, and the time is coming to make the final call on what I’m keeping: TRX or Rebel.
6C288229-1726-430D-AB1F-D6E2DB0A7481.jpeg 0C198F15-4C34-46F5-A938-3E8D2A8C08C6.jpeg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And it’s worth every penny i have to pay for gas.

Speaking of which, my first Rebel came in to the dealer (the one that the factory tinkered with, and didn’t get built correctly). So I went and Saw it last night. My name was on the window sticker (awww…). And I’ll admit, it’s a nice truck.
My second Rebel is slated to arrive next week, and the time is coming to make the final call on what I’m keeping: TRX or Rebel.
View attachment 115503 View attachment 115504
Is it weird that I like the Rebel more?

PepperellFF

Reaction score
I was six days from BS to WS. With the holidays, the virus, weather and everything else going it seems pretty random right now.

Question: I see a lot of guys like you with multiple orders. I had to put $1000 down, and it's non-refundable. How are folks ordering multiple trucks? Are you guys planning on flipping them, or will your dealers allow you to order without a deposit?
After I ordered my first truck I wanted to make a change to the color and another option, the dealer said there was no guarantee that the change would take place so recommend another order be placed. I got lucky both truck are built and will be delivered around the same time. I get to pick the one I want and the dealer gets to sell the other one. It actually gets the dealer more trucks to sell and not have to wait.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Holy smokes! I have a 33 gallon tank and I haven’t made it past 325 miles on a tank!
Don't feel bad. I have a 2011 CTS-V Wagon with a 6.2 supercharged motor. It has a 16 gallon tank. Unless I drive like grandma, I literally get more miles between gas stops on my Harley than I do in it. I kid you not...

Users who are viewing this thread