5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp going over bumps

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s probably the dust cover disks behind the rotors. I was dealing with a hissing/scrapping noise when turning left only under acceleration and/or braking and I also had the occasional squeaking as OP described. Rotated tires, checked all of the steering and suspension and then finally looked at the dust cover disks behind the rotors. Rear right one was super close, close enough to rub with just the slightest angling when turning. I simply pulled them away from the rotor and sound gone.

I’ve dealt with the dealers and I don’t trust them one bit. They’ve tried pulling quick ones on me before, thinking I didn’t know sh!t mechanically and have caught them. I don’t put it passed them to know it was a quick fix but say it was a bigger cause to charge manufacturer for other parts and labor for a bigger check. Just my .2 cents.
Nice find on the dust shield , thanks for sharing

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Count me in on this issue.

At first I just had a minor cricket noise which I noticed only while applying the brakes next to a concrete wall or building (think "drive through"). Had dealer attempt to fix it several times, each time it goes away for about 2000 to 3000 kms and then comes back. Finally I told them just to put new pads in which I paid for out of pocket as my truck (of course) is now out of warranty still trying to get this resolved. Hasn't been long enough to know if that fixed it there.

2 weeks ago I started noticing a cricket squeak going over bumps only. I didn't notice anything while applying the brakes next to a wall (the original issue I had), just a much louder squeak over large enough bumps. I noticed that if I was on a particularly bumpy road and was slowing down agressively (braking while pulling my trailer) then it would never squeak over bumps while applying the brakes.

That led me to this thread, and I tried the wd40 yesterday. No more squeak.

Which begs the question: after 30 years of ABS, how does FCA still not know how to build a truck that doesn't squeak, squeal or moan while I'm backing up?

I really want to like my truck, but I'm quickly reaching the end of the line.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Count me in on this issue.

At first I just had a minor cricket noise which I noticed only while applying the brakes next to a concrete wall or building (think "drive through"). Had dealer attempt to fix it several times, each time it goes away for about 2000 to 3000 kms and then comes back. Finally I told them just to put new pads in which I paid for out of pocket as my truck (of course) is now out of warranty still trying to get this resolved. Hasn't been long enough to know if that fixed it there.

2 weeks ago I started noticing a cricket squeak going over bumps only. I didn't notice anything while applying the brakes next to a wall (the original issue I had), just a much louder squeak over large enough bumps. I noticed that if I was on a particularly bumpy road and was slowing down agressively (braking while pulling my trailer) then it would never squeak over bumps while applying the brakes.

That led me to this thread, and I tried the wd40 yesterday. No more squeak.

Which begs the question: after 30 years of ABS, how does FCA still not know how to build a truck that doesn't squeak, squeal or moan while I'm backing up?

I really want to like my truck, but I'm quickly reaching the end of the line.

Here is my permanent fix link below: I did all four wheels when changing to my summer set of wheels.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is my permanent fix link below: I did all four wheels when changing to my summer set of wheels.

Thanks for the tip!

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a chirp over bumps and it turns out to be the pins on my brake calipers. I pulled them off, cleaned them, and regreased them. Had the same issue on a Grand Cherokee. Hit the caliper with a rubber mallet and see if you can replicate the noise. For me this did the trick on my 2020 Rebel.

moralescil

Reaction score
hello guys, 2023 Rebel with only 1500 km making the "birds" noise even parked and with the engine off, I will spray brake cleaner and later lubricate with WD-40 all the clips, lets see if helps. I am guessing I will have to live with this issues as I regularly go to desert trips, not much options to do in Qatar tho..

Users who are viewing this thread