5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spy Shots: 2019 Ram 1500 Testing Split Tailgate

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ram-1500-back-photoshop.jpg

Spy Shots: 2019 Ram 1500 Testing Split TailgateRYAN ZUMMALLEN DECEMBER 20, 2017 NEW TRUCKS, TRUCKING TECHNOLOGY

A dual-function split tailgate option may be coming to the 2019 Ram 1500.

The pickup truck, set to debut at the Detroit auto show in January, was spotted testing the new design near Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich. The tailgate is attached to an early prototype, indicating the feature has undergone extensive testing ahead of its reveal.

ram-1500-wheel.jpg

The 2019 Ram 1500 would be the first pickup truck to offer a split tailgate. It allows the gate of the truck to be opened in multiple ways.

The gate will lift up and down like any conventional pickup, but it will also swing out in a 60/40 split. Owners can then walk right up the end of the bed for easier access, loading and unloading. They can also climb inside without first stepping onto the folded gate.

It is unclear how the tailgate will operate. Spy photographs of the truck’s interior have shown a complicated key fob that could control the split tailgate function.

ram-1500-photoshop.jpg

The split tailgate will likely be offered as an optional feature on the 2019 Ram.

https://www.trucks.com/2017/12/20/spy-shots-2019-ram-1500-tailgate/

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone came across any inclination as to when this will be available either through ordering, dealer talks, or more spy photos

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
devildodge said:
Has anyone came across any inclination as to when this will be available either through ordering, dealer talks, or more spy photos
Its listed as late availability in the order guide. Surprised we haven't seen much about it.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care for the looks of that.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Slim said:
Personally, I don't care for the looks of that.
Pretty sure the final deal will look nothing like that.

There are various patent drawings for the tailgate and none of them look like that

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would you ever want this split gate? Looks horrible too

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
(see attachment)
(see attachment)
(see attachment)
a split tailgate offers all kinds of things.

I doubt it will look like the pics, I think that was part of the camo of what it will actually be.

Attachments

• RamGate8.jpg
    RamGate8.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 109
  • RamGate7.jpg
    RamGate7.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 110
  • RamGate5.jpg
    RamGate5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 111

sgk

Reaction score
hmm kinda like the Honda Ridgeline. I suppose opening it vs. dropping it will allow you to get closer to the bed . I would prefer no seems so if anything make it like the Ridgeline.
Is it the fact that tailgates have not been changed in decades they have the itch to modify? I have an idea have the gate fold/slide into the bed itself, almost like a reversed garage door but into or under the bed along with just folding down for long loads. How? Im not sure but I'd rather that then seeing more seems.

Twoamen

Reaction score
never got tired of the old version. Now that it's easy open and close. I Can't figure the advantage or paractacle use from the same level of approach and height of the regular tailgate. I'm open for suggestions. Now its its added bling, I get it!

Users who are viewing this thread