5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spray in bedliner question.

Noway

Reaction score
After you have your bed sprayed is there a cure period when you cant put anything in the bed of the truck?

Renatboost

Reaction score
Depends on which brand liner you get. Also, with Line-X which finish you get.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had aftermarket done by the dealer as part of negotiating the deal - they said about 1hr cure time under heat lamps. It was hot and had a smell when they brought it out but wasn't soft or anything.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I have factory. It is very rough, like 60 grit. It catches every little bit of dirt and won't let it go. I'd prefer no liner. If I got aftermarket I would choose a smooth finish.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would you guys go with factory or aftermarket?
won't ever go with aftermarket again. Had my 21 done with line x about a week after I purchased it. Most likely installer error but after he was done spraying it and let it dry, had several bubbles in 1 area that he caught. They had to grind the area and re-spray it but you can easily see the repair. Looks ****ty. I never got it fixed because it was a hassle of going to the place but when I ordered my 22, choose the factory spray in liner.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have factory. It is very rough, like 60 grit. It catches every little bit of dirt and won't let it go. I'd prefer no liner. If I got aftermarket I would choose a smooth finish.
Interesting comment, first I can remember someone commenting on the "dirt" aspect. I've managed for 20+ years with just a bed mat and an Extang snap cover. The bed still looks good having performed many varied and "hard/abrasive" tasks. There is a difference between the 2001 Dodge 1500 and the 2019 Ram from what I can see in the bed durability as it appears the 2019 dents easier.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I’ve had Linex in my last three trucks with no issues. Even had a set of n-Fab rails sprayed with Linex. Our local Linex guy does excellent work. With that said, I went with the Mopar factory lining this time. No complaints so far.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
When I've had the option, I've always ordered the factory spray-liner but I imagine either just as good with the nod going to aftermarket if you want other finish/color choices.

Noway

Reaction score
won't ever go with aftermarket again. Had my 21 done with line x about a week after I purchased it. Most likely installer error but after he was done spraying it and let it dry, had several bubbles in 1 area that he caught. They had to grind the area and re-spray it but you can easily see the repair. Looks ****ty. I never got it fixed because it was a hassle of going to the place but when I ordered my 22, choose the factory spray in liner.
factory is using outside vendors as well... You got unlucky

Noway

Reaction score
the biggest diference is how is applied

Some chemically strip the paint so the bedliner would stick
some will just spray on top of the paint which is not the best choice
found the above by calling several places in my area...

Noway

Reaction score
I know, just figure at least with a factory job, the finished product will be better.
Could be ...I know is more expensive for sure tho. I have a TRX and local would be $350 or factory option is $850
Went with the cheaper version. Hopefully wont bite me

Jako

Reaction score
Could be ...I know is more expensive for sure tho. I have a TRX and local would be $350 or factory option is $850
Went with the cheaper version. Hopefully wont bite me
The after market pricing is location oriented. It's been a while since I checked but I believe it was 500-600 depending on what was done in the NYC metro area.

Wish I had gotten the Bed Utility Group (BUG) when I ordered, way better than purchasing separately.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
To the OPs question, it depends on brand and application.

To chime in with the rest, I got the factory one in the bed upgrade package. It was just easier since I ordered it. It is ok. Like mentioned, it is rough but it issupposed to be. If I had a truck off the lot and needed aftermarket, I would go with Rhino liner. It is rubbery feeling and grips to keep things from sliding. My neighbor had it and he abused the heck out of his truck, the stuff held up.

Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread