5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spinning wheels and skidding even in AWD...

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
Where do you live?? I live in Alaska and have the exact same set up as you do, but I run a dedicated snow tire since we have snow/ice on the roads for 6 months. Driving in these conditions takes practice and experience. I do wish that the truck had different traction control modes like most more modern trucks have now, snow, mud, sport etc.
I have never driven a vehicle with snow/mud/sport..., but I feel every vehicle I've gotten has been "smarter" then the previous and I see this as a negative for snow driving.
I started with a 98' Honda CRV. Manuel 5spd, autoFwd/Awd, absolutely no adjustments could be made to the driveline for modes or traction. Still to this day onenof the best vehicles I've driven in snow, as I wasn't wondering if I was in the right mode or settings, and with the 5spd I wouldn't ever lock up the brakes as I rarely used them in adverse conditions.

As I have gotten smarter vehicles I always wonder if I have everything in the best mode or setting, or can't work the transmission to slow down instead of getting on the brakes.

For the most part I'm not including the Ram in this, as it's new to me and I have limited snow expirence in it.

Vehicles I've had in order
98' Honda CRV Fwd/Awd
05' Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4
08' Honda Ridgeline Fwd/Awd
13' Toyota Tacoma CrewCab 4x4
19' Ram QuadCab 4x4

All of these vehicles had good AT tires or snows on the CRV(Last winter I had it only).

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never driven a vehicle with snow/mud/sport..., but I feel every vehicle I've gotten has been "smarter" then the previous and I see this as a negative for snow driving.
I started with a 98' Honda CRV. Manuel 5spd, autoFwd/Awd, absolutely no adjustments could be made to the driveline for modes or traction. Still to this day onenof the best vehicles I've driven in snow, as I wasn't wondering if I was in the right mode or settings, and with the 5spd I wouldn't ever lock up the brakes as I rarely used them in adverse conditions.

As I have gotten smarter vehicles I always wonder if I have everything in the best mode or setting, or can't work the transmission to slow down instead of getting on the brakes.

For the most part I'm not including the Ram in this, as it's new to me and I have limited snow expirence in it.

Vehicles I've had in order
98' Honda CRV Fwd/Awd
05' Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4
08' Honda Ridgeline Fwd/Awd
13' Toyota Tacoma CrewCab 4x4
19' Ram QuadCab 4x4

All of these vehicles had good AT tires or snows on the CRV(Last winter I had it only).
I've been driving since 1991. Based on your reply I have no idea if you've driven in the snow once or twice..? Live on steep mountains with snow and ice half the year and your perspective might be different.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been driving since 1991. Based on your reply I have no idea if you've driven in the snow once or twice..? Live on steep mountains with snow and ice half the year and your perspective might be different.
Some people prefer to be in control of the vehicle, and not have a bunch of nanny's driving for them

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
I have many miles driving in snow, and still stand by less computers controlling the driving, the better I feel.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Manual shifting, and gear selection? Transmission breaking?

Last time I checked only GT and TRX rams can mahually shift. That helps a boat load driving through snow.
You can sort of do it on the other models. But it’s more of a gear limiter. So you could limit the top gear and let it shift or not if needed

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can sort of do it on the other models. But it’s more of a gear limiter. So you could limit the top gear and let it shift or not if needed
That's not as useful in snow/ice. Point is you lose control with a lot of the new systems. Some stuff does help, but not all of it.

Sometimes it's useful to stay in a higher gear to keep rpms low so you don't spin tires, but a gear limit will not help you do that. It can only help keep rpms high

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
Manual shifting, and gear selection? Transmission breaking?

Last time I checked only GT and TRX rams can mahually shift. That helps a boat load driving through snow.
I believe I said I wanted more control over the vehicle rather then it doing everything...urs I'd prefer manual shifting in snow. Every vehicle I've gotten has taken away more and more personal control in bad weather.

I did say I was not commenting on the Ram specifically in snow, as this is my first winter with it.

beetlespin

Reaction score
Better tires and lock out a top gear or two when traveling on a snow covered road.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 99 manual shift, manual transfer case, only rear wheel abs...I will gladly drive the 15 with the nannies. I drove them both back to back one day....you just do not even realize how they work behind the scene to make you a better driver.

The problem being...you have to be a good driver to begin with.

The 99 is more fun...because I can drive. Someone who can not would equally kill themselves. The newer vehicles will usually get them there safe, when their skills can not.

I know this, because I have a daughter who has proven this all, time and time again...😁

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 99 manual shift, manual transfer case, only rear wheel abs...I will gladly drive the 15 with the nannies. I drove them both back to back one day....you just do not even realize how they work behind the scene to make you a better driver.

The problem being...you have to be a good driver to begin with.

The 99 is more fun...because I can drive. Someone who can not would equally kill themselves. The newer vehicles will usually get them there safe, when their skills can not.

I know this, because I have a daughter who has proven this all, time and time again...😁
"I drove them both back to back one day....you just do not even realize how they work behind the scene to compensate for poor driving skills"

There, fixed it for you

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"I drove them both back to back one day....you just do not even realize how they work behind the scene to compensate for poor driving skills"

There, fixed it for you
They absolutely make it easier for a good driver to concentrate on the scenery.

jljbtm

Reaction score
I have the same Dueller on my 19 and they suck in the wet or snow and i really need to new tires for the rear and they wont be Duellers
On my old Ram I had the Michelin Defenders and they were great!

Users who are viewing this thread