5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reaction score
If I recall reading the thread correctly the myth of self calibration has been "busted" and if you are going with a bigger tire this equals less revolutions which actually equals less miles over the life of the vehicle. ;)
My speedo is off by about 4-5mph at 70mph. Doesn't bother me, simple quick math in my head keeps me on speed. I personally haven't noticed any difference in my shift points but I have 3.92.

Right, how did I miss that lol.. Well that could be a plus showing lower KM....

Yes the answers are still not really distinctive. I would assume self-calibration is a myth myself but you never know with these computers on wheels lol..

After driving about seven or eight months without having my speedo corrected I also thought my shifting was good. That is until I corrected the speedo and now I see just how off the shifting was! I also have the 392 on my 20 Laramie.

So, that is good news because if I can help my truck shift better with the 35’s and 3.21 gears I will. Nothing is installed yet, so I will not know until then. I am just getting everything I need in preparation for it all so I don’t need to run around getting stuff after the fact.

So, did you keep track of the shifting points before and after? Just interested in seeing what RPM and SPEED your truck is shifting at before and after.

Once my lift/tires are installed, I will drive around for a month or so and

(A) see if the truck will recalibrate itself (using onboard NAV, google maps and wave unplugged from truck) and
(B) to monitor my shift points with the tires installed and no calibrations by the Rough Country tool. Maybe I should pay close attention to my shifts points now with my stock tires at moderate driving styles.
(C) after the month, with the more then likely busted myth I will use my RC tool and calibrate and then monitor my ”new” shift points to see. More interested in off the line then anything.

Bearman95

Reaction score
No mine are 33‘s. Speedometer was off 2 to 3 miles an hour. But after correcting it with a taser DT I checked with my Garmin and a speedometer app on my phone which my phone was not Connected to my truck at all and it is right on the money now.

Reaction score
I did it with a taser DT. It definitely improve my gas mileage that shows on the truck because before I was going more miles then was actually showing on the odometer. And since the shift points of improved I feel like that it will improve the gas mileage. It doesn’t stay in a single gear as long as it used to.

That’s the other reason I want to make sure everything is correct. I want my on-board fuel monitoring to reflect the true numbers, otherwise if things are not calibrated then all these fancy monitors systems are providing useless information.

Sure I could remember my how many extra KM/HR my speedo is showing but it’s everything else that gets corrected after this.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No mine are 33‘s. Speedometer was off 2 to 3 miles an hour. But after correcting it with a taser DT I checked with my Garmin and a speedometer app on my phone which my phone was not Connected to my truck at all and it is right on the money now.
Cool, I may look into recalibrating if for nothing else better gas mileage due to the shift points.

Reaction score
Cool, I may look into recalibrating if for nothing else better gas mileage due to the shift points.

I am thinking between more accurate fuel readings and shift points it’s worth it. I like to use the fuel readings on the dash. The shift points, if they actual change, would be a big bonus for me having the 3.21 gears. I may not even see a big change without programming but you never know.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am thinking between more accurate fuel readings and shift points it’s worth it. I like to use the fuel readings on the dash. The shift points, if they actual change, would be a big bonus for me having the 3.21 gears. I may not even see a big change without programming but you never know.
Agree, I could careless about the speedo being off but I will take any advantage I can get for better gas mileage. I have been back and forth about getting the Tazer DT but I also want the auto folding mirror option it gives you so I guess I will have to bite the bullet and finally get one.

Reaction score
Agree, I could careless about the speedo being off but I will take any advantage I can get for better gas mileage. I have been back and forth about getting the Tazer DT but I also want the auto folding mirror option it gives you so I guess I will have to bite the bullet and finally get one.

I will get the Tazer DT eventually as I like some of the features it provides. The light show is a cool feature just to play around with. The problem is some of the features I want to take advantage of (camera on when turn signals go on) so not work with the 12” screen. No updates as far as I know.

The mirror function is nice, but I worry that the constant close/open will burn out the motors eventually. Especially if your working on the truck and turning it off/on several times in a row. I only fold my mirrors in when needed, and the push of the button is easy enough to do.

The Tazer DT is about double the price of the RC programmer (albeit it does more) but at $500 CDN plus taxes would be closer to $530 or so. So about $300 more then the RC programmer. Since I’ve spend about $6000 in the las few days in upgrades I’ll hold off for a little bit on the Tazer. Just want the speedo, fuel, gearing etc to be good when I put my tires on.

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
I talked to one of the Tazer folks a few weeks back. They are aware of the TurnCAM issue. They just need a truck with 12" screen to test. So, if you live near New York....lol. It's really just setting the default cam to rear cam, so it shouldn't be too long before they figure it out.
I'm not overly concerned about the mirror motors wearing out. Some cars come with that feature stock, and I have faith in Ram's quality.
The speedo calibration worked flawlessly though. I'd suggest waiting til someone sells theirs used. It's what I did. Huge savings.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I talked to one of the Tazer folks a few weeks back. They are aware of the TurnCAM issue. They just need a truck with 12" screen to test. So, if you live near New York....lol. It's really just setting the default cam to rear cam, so it shouldn't be too long before they figure it out.
I'm not overly concerned about the mirror motors wearing out. Some cars come with that feature stock, and I have faith in Ram's quality.
The speedo calibration worked flawlessly though. I'd suggest waiting til someone sells theirs used. It's what I did. Huge savings.

Want to sell yours? :ROFLMAO: So you had no prob marrying yours to your truck buying it used?

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Give me another year or two, or if by some miracle the TRX isn't 6 figures, and I'll be ready to sell mine.
Yeah, no problem. Married right up.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Give me another year or two, or if by some miracle the TRX isn't 6 figures, and I'll be ready to sell mine.
Yeah, no problem. Married right up.

Lol, that truck will be too rich for my blood but it looks to be a bad beast. I think the hardest part will be finding one.
Do you have to trust that the seller has unmarried from his truck for it to be able to marry to your truck?

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
I can't really remember what he said, but he went out of his way to show it was unmarried.
There is also apparently an unmarry service that tazer provides for $41. So, just make sure the used one is at least that much cheaper than new.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't really remember what he said, but he went out of his way to show it was unmarried.
There is also apparently an unmarry service that tazer provides for $41. So, just make sure the used one is at least that much cheaper than new.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Yogi217

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry for the basic question.... I have only ever replaced stock tires with larger tires, but I may just swap my stock duelers for the after market wildpeaks in the same size 275/55R20 on both sets. Everywhere I look, the same diameter is posted as 31.9, but the falkens weigh about 10lbs more.

I also know that posted diameter and actual mounted diameter can be different. Do you suspect I would have to calibrate the speedo if doing this? Or would the impact be so minimal that it isn't even worth it?

If I go bigger to like a 33 or 34, I know I'll need to do it, especially for shift points.

AND I FIND IT REDICULUOUS THAT LOCAL DEALERS CAN'T DO THIS! Do they not understand that people lift their trucks and put bigger tires on them....????? They sell a 2" lift for f sake

Reactions: BGC

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry for the basic question.... I have only ever replaced stock tires with larger tires, but I may just swap my stock duelers for the after market wildpeaks in the same size 275/55R20 on both sets. Everywhere I look, the same diameter is posted as 31.9, but the falkens weigh about 10lbs more.

I also know that posted diameter and actual mounted diameter can be different. Do you suspect I would have to calibrate the speedo if doing this? Or would the impact be so minimal that it isn't even worth it?

If I go bigger to like a 33 or 34, I know I'll need to do it, especially for shift points.

AND I FIND IT REDICULUOUS THAT LOCAL DEALERS CAN'T DO THIS! Do they not understand that people lift their trucks and put bigger tires on them....????? They sell a 2" lift for f sake
I have found with my truck that with the diablo t2 i have to input about an inch smaller than actual into the t2 to get correct speed. My laramie originally had 18" wheels from the factory and the dealer installed factory 20s and even that swap made the speedo off even though the oved all tire diameter wasnt all that different

Scoot332002

Reaction score
Is the Rough Country 90019 the model number for our 5th Gen 2020 Ram 1500 speedometer calibrator? Making sure I order the correct one

GraniteRamTowRig

Reaction score
IF its any help (havent seen anyone post here in awhile)

I can recommend the RC speedo calibrator.

Definitely agree with others to take measurement of tire with weight on it.

time will tell if it helps my gas mileage back up, since it allows the TCU to shift properly now.

my 295/60r20 measure 33 on the truck.

seemed to put it spot on while cruising under 35 (through my neighborhood)

will test on the highway and report back.

Hopefully helps the shifting now.
I noticed it ever so different when i first put the tires on .

trithumb

Reaction score
Anyone know of any of these devices supporting the 2021s? I noticed the rough country says it doesnt support 2020+ with park assist, which mine has.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm using a Tazer JL, which I afterward used on a JT, and then switched over to a DT. It works great on my '20. And I have all the park sense stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread