5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trithumb

Reaction score
I'm using a Tazer JL, which I afterward used on a JT, and then switched over to a DT. It works great on my '20. And I have all the park sense stuff.
The Tazer stays plugged in right? It doesnt just get reprogramed and then removed right?

trithumb

Reaction score
I mainly just want to have it reprogram the speedometer. I don't recall any of the other features being usefull to me which is why I was just trying to find something cheaper lol

Bighorn889

Reaction score
I'm planning to change my stock tire 275/65r18 to 275/70/18, which is not a big size change I think. Do I need to recalibrate the speedometer and shift points? I am more worried about the shift points affected by the tire size change. Any suggestions?

Jsyjud

Reaction score
I'm planning to change my stock tire 275/65r18 to 275/70/18, which is not a big size change I think. Do I need to recalibrate the speedometer and shift points? I am more worried about the shift points affected by the tire size change. Any suggestions?
You're going from 32" to a 33". The speedo will be off about 2.5 mph at 70. Im anal about my stuff so I would fo it but thats just me. I had the dealer do mine when I went from a 32 to almost a 35 inch tire but mine was off almost 8 mph at 70. It definitely did help with shift points for me.

dwalme

Reaction score

I did. It's not much money if you go the alfaobd route and then you have the tools to do other things if you like (and can be used on other vehicles too).

obrien

Reaction score
I am sorry if I miss it (it is 10 page long discussion) but is it now possible to get it officially recalibrated for bigger tires by dealer with no issues? What did you pay for that? Thanks!

Stoltzbt

Reaction score
I am sorry if I miss it (it is 10 page long discussion) but is it now possible to get it officially recalibrated for bigger tires by dealer with no issues? What did you pay for that? Thanks!
I just bought my truck last week, used 2019 Bighorn. The dealer i purchased from installed new 60 series tires on the truck (instead of 65 series it was supposed to have) (on my stock 18" wheels). I took it in thinking it was programmed wrong. Charged me $120 to diagnose the issue (which i could have deciphered on my own if I had been paying better attention). I asked if they could do a re-flash when i upgrade to larger wheels/tires and they said "its not possible for us to reprogram the tire size in the computer". Just one experience from one dealer so take that for what its worth.

Has anyone used the new Hypertech Spectrum Speedometer Calibrator with the LCD screen? From what I've read on this thread I don't think I'd utilize the feature of the Tazer DT, but like that the new unit from hypertech has an updated screen and ability to read/clear codes (albeit my truck is certified so I will be under power train warranty for the next 5 years). Link below:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just bought my truck last week, used 2019 Bighorn. The dealer i purchased from installed new 60 series tires on the truck (instead of 65 series it was supposed to have) (on my stock 18" wheels). I took it in thinking it was programmed wrong. Charged me $120 to diagnose the issue (which i could have deciphered on my own if I had been paying better attention). I asked if they could do a re-flash when i upgrade to larger wheels/tires and they said "its not possible for us to reprogram the tire size in the computer". Just one experience from one dealer so take that for what its worth.

Has anyone used the new Hypertech Spectrum Speedometer Calibrator with the LCD screen? From what I've read on this thread I don't think I'd utilize the feature of the Tazer DT, but like that the new unit from hypertech has an updated screen and ability to read/clear codes (albeit my truck is certified so I will be under power train warranty for the next 5 years). Link below:
I just used the Hypertech 752504 programmer with the small LCD screen myself, very easy and did the trick. I only bought it due to the Rough Country being out of stock everywhere.

Hardest part was plugging it in, it does not plug into the OBD II port. The location was a little further up, almost behind the headlight switch. I had three codes but my check engine light was not on so not sure if it reads just body and chassis codes or also CEL codes.

The few reviews I could find on the programmer with the larger screen weren't good

Stoltzbt

Reaction score
I just used the Hypertech 752504 programmer with the small LCD screen myself, very easy and did the trick. I only bought it due to the Rough Country being out of stock everywhere.

Hardest part was plugging it in, it does not plug into the OBD II port. The location was a little further up, almost behind the headlight switch. I had three codes but my check engine light was not on so not sure if it reads just body and chassis codes or also CEL codes.

The few reviews I could find on the programmer with the larger screen weren't good
Thanks for the input Scram. I will probably wait to purchase anything until I get my new wheel/tire combo on the truck, but +1 for the Hypertech!

NHjake98

Reaction score
I just bought and used the Superchips Flashcal to calibrate my speedo and it worked perfect!!.

If you do buy this system for a 2019 or greater Ram, the instructions on where to access the connectors to plug in the bypass gateway that come with the unit are incorrect on the location of those connectors. I have included the link to a video below that shows where they are.

DiabloSport 2019-2020 Dodge Ram 1500 New Body Style Gateway Bypass Module Install - YouTube

Happy Calibration!!

Spidartanks

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm late to the party or not, but...I was just told by someone I trust at the dealership I purchased my truck from, he has been my "Mopar Parts Guy" for the better part of 15 years, that all DT Rams will self calibrate the odometer through GPS after 1K miles after a tire size change. I asked if he was 100% certain, and he confirmed. We shall see, getting 285/55R22's installed there tomorrow.
Did your speedo auto re calibrate ?
I just did some more investigating. So the consensus is the Waze speedo reads same as truck speedo while connected via acp. When separated they read differently. So no auto calibration happens

I’m looking into the tazer. Does this model work with the park sense on a truck ?

thanks

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did your speedo auto re calibrate ?
I just did some more investigating. So the consensus is the Waze speedo reads same as truck speedo while connected via acp. When separated they read differently. So no auto calibration happens

I’m looking into the tazer. Does this model work with the park sense on a truck ?

thanks
Yes this is what is happening I finally realized too.
I have a tazer and it works

U

User_3336

Took Rebel tires and wheels and put them on a Tradesman... HOW MUCH is the speedometer off??

Original Tires.
275/65R18 BSW All–Season Tires

Replacement Tires.
LT275/70R18E OWL All–Terrain Tires (goodyear wrangler duratrac).

Found a website that calculates it.

Original Tire .................................................................................Speed with New Tire
20 mph (32.19 km/h)20.68 mph (33.27 km/h)
25 mph (40.23 km/h)25.84 mph (41.59 km/h)
30 mph (48.28 km/h)31.01 mph (49.91 km/h)
35 mph (56.33 km/h)36.18 mph (58.23 km/h)
40 mph (64.37 km/h)41.35 mph (66.55 km/h)
45 mph (72.42 km/h)46.52 mph (74.87 km/h)
50 mph (80.47 km/h)51.69 mph (83.18 km/h)
55 mph (88.51 km/h)56.86 mph (91.5 km/h)
60 mph (96.56 km/h)62.03 mph (99.82 km/h)
65 mph (104.61 km/h)67.19 mph (108.14 km/h)
70 mph (112.65 km/h)72.36 mph (116.46 km/h)
75 mph (120.7 km/h)77.53 mph (124.78 km/h)
80 mph (128.75 km/h)82.7 mph (133.09 km/h)
85 mph (136.79 km/h)87.87 mph (141.41 km/h)
90 mph (144.84 km/h)93.04 mph (149.73 km/h)
95 mph (152.89 km/h)98.21 mph (158.05 km/h)
100 mph (160.93 km/h)103.38 mph (166.37 km/h)

Source.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mhorton814

Reaction score
Already purchased 20" Ram Luxury wheels with 275/60r20's on them to upgrade my stock big horn 18's. Now I am worried about calibration and speedometer readings, or even shift points as mentioned above. 😕😕

NHjake98

Reaction score
Already purchased 20" Ram Luxury wheels with 275/60r20's on them to upgrade my stock big horn 18's. Now I am worried about calibration and speedometer readings, or even shift points as mentioned above. 😕😕
I bought the flash cal and it worked flawlessly. It is a bit pricy but if you go to the dealer they will charge you the same amount of money.

Mhorton814

Reaction score
I bought the flash cal and it worked flawlessly. It is a bit pricy but if you go to the dealer they will charge you the same amount of money.
Thank you for the info! Was it really easy to work and figure out? I was looking at the Rough Country calibrator. If im going to spend the money at a dealership id just rather buy the product.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$150 at my dealership tomorrow for the speedo recalibration. Still at least $100 cheaper than all of the OBD stuff out there, and I don’t need any of the other products that the OBDs provide, especially considering all the reviews I’ve read from folks who have had issues after doing the OBD stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread