5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spark plug change - 2019 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7

Punderwo

Reaction score
How many miles are on the factory plugs. I would also buy champion copper plugs and ensure gap is appropriate. No need to buy expensive rare earth plugs.

23RAM

Reaction score
How many miles are on the factory plugs. I would also buy champion copper plugs and ensure gap is appropriate. No need to buy expensive rare earth plugs.
Actually there is a reason - iridium plugs are used because they can go 100k miles between changes without wearing like regular plugs. I changed the plugs in a 4cyl car at 100k and they looked brand new.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ram8472

Reaction score
5.7 Hemi changed to iridium plugs around 2014 , my 2013 had copper plugs with a 30,000 mile change intervals.

Rebond

Reaction score
I did a search, hoping I’d come across something, but nothing really answered my questions.

Saw a couple of “PITA” references to changing the back 4 on the drivers side by the brake booster, and that’s my main concern. So hoping someone has experience with doing this.

Mine is not the hybrid engine. Just a normal 5.7 in a 2019 5th Gen NBS.

I’m looking for tips / tricks on how to get those 4 out and in, as well as which plugs are recommended.

Dealer and mechanics shop down the road costs were both insane - $1130 was average. Using factory plugs which I’m seeing in the Mopar parts site at about $23.10 each x 16 = 369.60. So they are charging me $760.40 for labor / shop items.

The most expensive plug listed for my truck at Autozone is an NGK for $14. So $14 x 16 = $224. Do it myself, I save over $900, but may lose my sanity with those 4 plugs on the drivers side.

Thoughts, suggestions, plug recommendations (anyone know the make / model of the stock plugs?), etc… are all welcome.

Oh… and YouTube, which is my go-to for this stuff, isn’t being good to me today. No good vids so far of my make / model / engine combo. Close, but some differences in access. Plus, no really good tips found so far.

All the best,
Glenn
NGK 92145 Laser Iridium; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044" on Rock Auto $6.57 each + shipping. Always check gaps to be sure.

The ball socket with magnet is a must, as well as a couple small extensions for the back booster plugs.

I've done them many times on Hemi's and they aren't too bad, just lay a moving blanket over the engine and lay down.

Cajuntec

Reaction score
NGK 92145 Laser Iridium; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044" on Rock Auto $6.57 each + shipping. Always check gaps to be sure.

The ball socket with magnet is a must, as well as a couple small extensions for the back booster plugs.

I've done them many times on Hemi's and they aren't too bad, just lay a moving blanket over the engine and lay down.

The instructions on Iridium plugs specifically say not to gap them because they are pre-gapped and the iridium center anode is much more fragile than standard.

I’ve never heard of Rock Auto. I generally don’t buy from places I’ve never heard of because there are so many fake online “stores” online these days. Not saying they are, but unless several long-time respected members recommend them, I’m skeptical of a place that sells the exact same plugs for about 50% off of everyone else’s price.

All the best,
Glenn

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The instructions on Iridium plugs specifically say not to gap them because they are pre-gapped and the iridium center anode is much more fragile than standard.

I’ve never heard of Rock Auto. I generally don’t buy from places I’ve never heard of because there are so many fake online “stores” online these days. Not saying they are, but unless several long-time respected members recommend them, I’m skeptical of a place that sells the exact same plugs for about 50% off of everyone else’s price.

All the best,
Glenn
Rockauto has been around forever. Used to have ads regularly on prime time TV. I've shopped them for years and never had any issue. They'll usually get you on shipping but the prices are fair. Always worth cross shopping with Amazon and Walmart too before pulling the trigger on Rockauto though.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

All the best,
Glenn
Rock Auto is good to buy from. That's why I linked them.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
+1 On Rock Auto. I've been buying parts from them for many years.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

All the best,
Glenn
Never heard of RockAuto? That's the first time I'm heard someone say that in years. Like you, I avoided them at first. Then I was looking for a window regulator for my son's Pathfinder and they were the only place at the time that had one in stock. Gave them a try, and they are legit. I've bought a number of things from them since.

Users who are viewing this thread