5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spark plug change - 2019 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7

Cajuntec

Reaction score
I did a search, hoping I’d come across something, but nothing really answered my questions.

Saw a couple of “PITA” references to changing the back 4 on the drivers side by the brake booster, and that’s my main concern. So hoping someone has experience with doing this.

Mine is not the hybrid engine. Just a normal 5.7 in a 2019 5th Gen NBS.

I’m looking for tips / tricks on how to get those 4 out and in, as well as which plugs are recommended.

Dealer and mechanics shop down the road costs were both insane - $1130 was average. Using factory plugs which I’m seeing in the Mopar parts site at about $23.10 each x 16 = 369.60. So they are charging me $760.40 for labor / shop items.

The most expensive plug listed for my truck at Autozone is an NGK for $14. So $14 x 16 = $224. Do it myself, I save over $900, but may lose my sanity with those 4 plugs on the drivers side.

Thoughts, suggestions, plug recommendations (anyone know the make / model of the stock plugs?), etc… are all welcome.

Oh… and YouTube, which is my go-to for this stuff, isn’t being good to me today. No good vids so far of my make / model / engine combo. Close, but some differences in access. Plus, no really good tips found so far.

All the best,
Glenn

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The process hasn't changed over the years on these. They really are not that bad to do. NGK, Bosch, and Denso work decent in these trucks.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
NGK Iridium Laser or Newest Ruthenium

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have some miles to go before tackling this, can`t imagine it being harder than my `97 expedition with the 5.4 Triton.
Eight hours of sweat and four letter words on my driveway, that thing was a mother.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One of the guys on the other forum highly recommends this swivel socket, I bought one but never used it yet, apparently it's the exact right length to make pulling these plugs out easy and it's magnetic as well so the plugs come out with the socket.

I bought the same one. Have not used it as of yet either.

Cajuntec

Reaction score
NGK Iridium Laser or Newest Ruthenium
Those are the ones I was looking at buying from Autozone.
IMG_0687.png

Cajuntec

Reaction score
etorque, but shouldn't matter

Yeah, that’s the one I found. It’s different, but fairly close. I was hoping for some tricks / tips for the back 4 on the drivers side, but these vids don’t offer much I didn’t already know. Thanks.
All the best,
Glenn

Cajuntec

Reaction score
One of the guys on the other forum highly recommends this swivel socket, I bought one but never used it yet, apparently it's the exact right length to make pulling these plugs out easy and it's magnetic as well so the plugs come out with the socket.

I bought the same one. Have not used it as of yet either.

Saved to cart.

Haha, I did the same thing.

I've got one, I've used it and it's awesome.

Awesome. Thanks everyone. Just purchased it. I also got a 100 position, swivel head ratchet today too. That should help as well.

All the best,
Glenn

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks everyone. Just purchased it. I also got a 100 position, swivel head ratchet today too. That should help as well.

All the best,
Glenn

Let us know how it goes! I should have a fair amount of life left in my plugs but always interested in hearing how long/hard it is to the job. Still deciding whether I should attempt this myself when the time comes.

Cajuntec

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes! I should have a fair amount of life left in my plugs but always interested in hearing how long/hard it is to the job. Still deciding whether I should attempt this myself when the time comes.

Will do. I’ll try filming the back 4 if I figure something out better than I’ve seen on YouTube. Even with the special tools, I think these are going to suck to change…

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpeg
    IMG_0688.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 38

Cajuntec

Reaction score
Can you remove the fender liner for better access on the drivers side?

Fender liners are pretty easy to remove, doubt that pulling them will help any tho.

The fender liners won’t give me any better access. It’s the brake booster that gets in the way. The fender liners are below the level of the plugs, so it won’t give me better access.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpeg
    IMG_0688.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 12

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
The fender liners won’t give me any better access. It’s the brake booster that gets in the way. The fender liners are below the level of the plugs, so it won’t give me better access.
You don't have unobstructed access to the coil pack thru the fender liner?

Users who are viewing this thread