5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare Tire

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Probably to keep the valve stem out of harms way

DrBob18

Reaction score
I thought it was so that if the hanger scratched anything, it would be the back side that nobody

If it were mounted the other way, the hanger would potentially be the lowest point rather than the tire. If the hanger were to drag/break on an obstacle, then the spare falls off. The sidewall of the spare is generally more forgiving.

LawnD4rt

Reaction score
Matching 275/65R20 wheel/tire fits without any modification.
This is promising. I am looking at that exact tire size. Where did you get your 5th rim? Trying to not break the bank getting a 20" rim. Not finding any generic steel in the correct size. Did you re-program your speedo also?

Doc33

Reaction score
This is promising. I am looking at that exact tire size. Where did you get your 5th rim? Trying to not break the bank getting a 20" rim. Not finding any generic steel in the correct size. Did you re-program your speedo also?
You could use your existing spare tire rim and just change the tire to match your new size.

LawnD4rt

Reaction score
@Doc33 That is the underlying problem. The spare is 275-65R18. Which is not the exact diameter as the running 4. Given the factory locker as one of several reasons. I would rather have an exact match tire for the spare. I am glad to see @DrBob18 images of a 275/65/20 fitting in the spare location. Craigslist is a dumpster fire. I did see some single 20x9 rims from a RAM 1500 on ebay for not to much.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Doc33 That is the underlying problem. The spare is 275-65R18. Which is not the exact diameter as the running 4. Given the factory locker as one of several reasons. I would rather have an exact match tire for the spare. I am glad to see @DrBob18 images of a 275/65/20 fitting in the spare location. Craigslist is a dumpster fire. I did see some single 20x9 rims from a RAM 1500 on ebay for not to much.
I am anal like this as well and always carried a spare that was the same size as what was on the ground.

If a new spare is not in the budget I would make sure the spare goes on a front wheel so not to damage any components.

Rear flat tire - put spare on the front, take that good tire, and put it on the rear. When my tires were worn (and I had full tread on the spare) I would do this as well since it was almost 1/2" off in diameter (my last truck had a limited slip differential (LSD).

I never used the spare for anything other than a spare (I don't rotate it with the rest of the tires).

That being said it won't be much of a big deal with an open diff (that includes the e-locker which is open unless you lock it). The only time this is a concern (especially for short distances) is with the anti-spin (LSD).

LawnD4rt

Reaction score
I am anal like this as well and always carried a spare that was the same size as what was on the ground.

If a new spare is not in the budget I would make sure the spare goes on a front wheel so not to damage any components.

Rear flat tire - put spare on the front, take that good tire, and put it on the rear. When my tires were worn (and I had full tread on the spare) I would do this as well since it was almost 1/2" off in diameter (my last truck had a limited slip differential (LSD).

I never used the spare for anything other than a spare (I don't rotate it with the rest of the tires).

That being said it won't be much of a big deal with an open diff (that includes the e-locker which is open unless you lock it). The only time this is a concern (especially for short distances) is with the anti-spin (LSD).
So the stock tire and the spare tire have a circum. of 100.2" and 100.7" respectively. So technically the spare is .6% larger then stock. I am not seeing a tire (for the spare) that gets this close with out being the correct size for a 275/65/20. The closest I can find so far is a 275/70/18 which puts the spare at 105.8" (-1.2%) smaller then a 275/65/20.

If the truck was a 2wd, putting the spare on the front would be the way to go. The 4wd system is controlled with a clutch pack transfer case. Maybe the AWD function would sort things out? I also don't recall if the e-locker is LSD when unlocked or open. I lean towards it is LSD in a ORG Truck.

To be honest I have been very fortunate to not need the spare ever. Although I may have just jinxed myself. But I would hate to be off-pavement and something happen that is made worse by a mis-matched spare.

One of the closest to the stock ratio I can find is a 285/60/20 primary tire with a 275/70/18 spare. 105.1" - 104.1" (-0.9%). So it still seems better to aquire a 20" wheel and match the tire size all around. just my thoughts. Also I am using tiresize.com to compare with.

1D32319

Reaction score
I also find it really inconvenient that we have to lower the spare just to check the inflation.

Flip it over.

***I am also annoyed by having a fricken donut as a spare. I would even more annoyed if I was stranded on the side of the road while towing and all I had was some half *** donut meant for a Prius.

I found an OEM 20" rim on ebay and am having an inexpensive E rated 275/60/20 put on it next week. I don't prescribe to the 5 tire rotation methods or require that my spare be an exact copy of my regular tires. All I need is something similar in size/capability.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the truck was a 2wd, putting the spare on the front would be the way to go. The 4wd system is controlled with a clutch pack transfer case. Maybe the AWD function would sort things out? I also don't recall if the e-locker is LSD when unlocked or open. I lean towards it is LSD in a ORG Truck.
No LSD with the e-locker. It’s an open diff when the e-locker is disengaged.
I think the 4WD AUTO is a front-rear thing and the 4WD just engages the front drivetrain for an even split in power.

Flip it over.

***I am also annoyed by having a fricken donut as a spare. I would even more annoyed if I was stranded on the side of the road while towing and all I had was some half *** donut meant for a Prius.
One of the things I liked about the ORG is it comes with a full-size (and “real”) tire.
Same tire as the rest of the wheels, just on a basic steel 18” wheel.

mmay3887

Reaction score
Flip it over.

I found an OEM 20" rim on ebay and am having an inexpensive E rated 275/60/20 put on it next week. I don't prescribe to the 5 tire rotation methods or require that my spare be an exact copy of my regular tires. All I need is something similar in size/capability.
I just had a massive hole in my tire morning at 3am. I'm on 35x13x22 so not only did the tires tool not work the donut made the truck lean while adding poor handling. Im adding a factory 22 with a brand new 33. its not exact but it'll get me closer than a donut

DrBob18

Reaction score
I got it off ebay.... most craigslist or others were only in sets of 4. I reprogrammed the speedo with the rough country programmer, which was pretty easy to use. I also had Costco put another tire pressure sensor in the spare in the event I want to use it in the rotation.

Shahzeb719

Reaction score
Quick question. I just got a 22 limited night edition and have swapped all the pirelli stock tires to 35 inch Nitto grapplers on factory 22s. If I grab another 22” rim from eBay and throw 35 inch Nitto on it Will it fit in the spare tire location?

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll be more specific and that, perhaps, will be more helpful. The spare tire I mounted in the spare location is a 35x12.50r18 BF Goodrich KO2 All Terrain Tire inflated to 45 psi. The actual diameter of this tire is listed to be 34.5 inches. This tire fits tightly, but completely, with no modification.
Do you think a 34.69 tire would fit? Thinking of adding a full size myself.

Dewey

Reaction score
I looked at a TRX this weekend. Looks like it had a full size spare under it. Not sure if anything is changed to accommodate this.

A 325/65/18 measures out to 34.6”.

Nehal51086

Reaction score
just thought id add another bit of info...
I have 285/65/20 Nitto Reccon Graplers, Tire shop tried to mount that in the spare while location, and it did not fit got super tight with about 2 inches left to go. I ordered another 20" oem rim off ebay (~$180) gonna have a 275/65/20 installed from the info I read earlier in this thread.

If i would have known sooner would have just gone 276/65/20 all around.

Jako

Reaction score
Will have my Ram 4 years November 24th
In 11 months the spare went from 45 psi to 35
Spare has some spots of rust
Used it while rotating the tires the other day and had some difficulty getting it off. The issue was rust on the spare and the rear hub. Kicking it and slamming it with a small mallet didn't help, sprayed some Blaster lubricant on it and let it sit and popped it off.
Not much of an issue while rotating tires but it could cause a little aggravation if on a road trip or out for the night. Not sure if driving would help "loosen" it up a little.

I believe the speed for the spare is limited to 50 mph so it seems worth while to put a full size spare if you can. The spare could turn out to be a real PITA if miles from home or no access to a tire shop.

Anyone know if the steel spare rim is the same as the steel rim on the tradesman trim line?

Last edited:

GP-TEK

Reaction score
just thought id add another bit of info...
I have 285/65/20 Nitto Reccon Graplers, Tire shop tried to mount that in the spare while location, and it did not fit got super tight with about 2 inches left to go. I ordered another 20" oem rim off ebay (~$180) gonna have a 275/65/20 installed from the info I read earlier in this thread.

If i would have known sooner would have just gone 276/65/20 all around.
Welcome Nehal. Let us know it this works. I may get an OEM rim and keep it in the bed. I have a truck cap so there is room.

Users who are viewing this thread