5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare Tire

fishinfreak68

Reaction score
Excuse me if it's been posted before. But am I the only one that finds it ridiculous that I can't put a full size spare underneath a full size truck?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

scubadaddy

Reaction score
Unless you have oversized tires you can.
I discovered last week that my "full size spare" is really not a full size. My rebel has the OEM Goodyears 270/70/18 but the spare is a Falken 270/65/18. My definition of a full size spare as the same as the other tires. It is my understanding that if I'm in an area where that my truck requires 4WD I cannot use this spare which may cause damage to the diff. This was confirmed by a Dealer Service Advisor. So in theory, I would be better off with a donut tire as long as it is the exact height as the other tires and it doesn't weigh as much. The service advisor also stated that the spare tire well will only fit a 270/65/18 tire/wheel. Anything larger will not lock into place. So I guess I need to figure out where to put a an actual full size spare and options when I eventually put 35 inch tires.

frostmen

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 crew cab and noticed the tires on the truck are 275/65R18 and the spare (imprinted temporary use only) is 245/70R18. At first glance, I thought the spare was used, as the tread is shallow, but as I look more closely, it appears that's the spare they come with. The nameplate on the inside driver's side states these sizes Does anyone have any comments?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the higher trims have (Longhorn, Limited, and possibly the Laramie) but the "lesser" models (Big Horn/Lone Star and below) don't have a full size spare unless you get the Off-Road Group (ORG).

The ORG has an 18" steel wheel with the same tire that is on the other 4 wheels.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I got new tires the OEM's only had a few thousand miles so I had the tire shop put the best one on the spare rim. Certainly feel a lot better with a regular tire and not the 50 mph temporary doughnut

hceptj

Reaction score
I picked up a used, like new 20" rim and put a full size tire on it, it fits fine...the 18" donut spare is in the shed now...

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...not sure how they get away with that. What if you're towing at or near your max and get a flat? Will that spacesaver get you home?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, you can get a full size spare to fit and lock in place, but that depends on the specific tire, not all 33" tires for example are exactly the same size. Some people will deflate them a little if the fit is especially tight.

When I go off-roading, I carry exact 33" spare in the bed, so I have two spares to get me off the trail and home just in case. However, that extra spare is kept in the garage when in daily driving.

Kimosabe

Reaction score
I also find it really inconvenient that we have to lower the spare just to check the inflation.

MajorMalfunction

Reaction score
I’ll be more specific and that, perhaps, will be more helpful. The spare tire I mounted in the spare location is a 35x12.50r18 BF Goodrich KO2 All Terrain Tire inflated to 45 psi. The actual diameter of this tire is listed to be 34.5 inches. This tire fits tightly, but completely, with no modification.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excuse me if it's been posted before. But am I the only one that finds it ridiculous that I can't put a full size spare underneath a full size truck?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Not sure what you are trying to stuff under there, but I had a 295/70/18 which is 34+” tall under mine cant ask for much more.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the higher trims have (Longhorn, Limited, and possibly the Laramie) but the "lesser" models (Big Horn/Lone Star and below) don't have a full size spare unless you get the Off-Road Group (ORG).

The ORG has an 18" steel wheel with the same tire that is on the other 4 wheels.
Whew.. saw this thread, started reading and was feeling pissed or upset or nervous or curious or something but I'm good now. Thanks

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score

Whew.. saw this thread, started reading and was feeling pissed or upset or nervous or curious or something but I'm good now.
View attachment 87373 View attachment 87374 View attachment 87375
Matching 275/65R20 wheel/tire fits without any modification.
I know that's likely better, to ensure the wheel doesn't get dinged up by whatever may get kicked up, but aren't the spares usually stored face-down?

DrBob18

Reaction score
Whew.. saw this thread, started reading and was feeling pissed or upset or nervous or curious or something but I'm good now.

I know that's likely better, to ensure the wheel doesn't get dinged up by whatever may get kicked up, but aren't the spares usually stored face-down?
I mounted it the same as the factory full size spare that was in there previously. I think it is stored this way due to the way the cable clamp holds it in.

redneck

Reaction score
i have a 21 longhorn with factory 22's i have a full size spare on a steel rim i pulled it down to do the exhaust install & compaired it to the 22's on the truck & its the exact same height

Users who are viewing this thread