5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOMETHING BIG IS COMING...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh yea, the five O motor is tried and trued. I had one in my 89 f150. It’s the only part of that truck that didn’t break. My current company truck, 2013 f150, has one too. It does well, but it’s a turd compared to my ram. Not the same in the stang of course.

Absolutely. The 2013 5.0 is an absolute pig and it was up until the recent bump in HP/torque. The current 5.0 might make more peak power than the 5.7, but the 5.7 makes better power.

HemiDude

Reaction score
The pickup has become the soccer mom mode of transportation. Guys with man buns think that a truck makes them a "REAL MAN", so the truck market is exploding. Everyone wants one because it is the NEW thing. So, manufacturers still needing to meet the EPA requirements for fuel consumption standards has to do something. Most of the people buying trucks haul groceries, so the makers, in order to meet the EPA standard for all production models, is putting smaller, fuel efficient engines in trucks. No power, aluminum skins and body work, to save weight, and worthless for real work. It would be great if they also offered a powerplant that could haul weight instead if potato chips, and give work trucks a reason to have the name. KEEP THE HEMI!!!!
I was at Menard's a couple of weeks ago, picking up softener salt and a few pieces of lumber. I came out to load to the truck and the man-bun parked next to me was trying desperately to figure out how to close the hatch on his Hyundai hatchback... he had purchased a t.v. and a couple other boxes that were just a few inches too long for it to latch. While I was loading mine I offered him some bungees that I had in the bed. He was a nice enough guy, but he couldn't even figure out where to fasten them, so I secured them for him and left. He happened to pull up next to me at the light and my wife said he was all smiles and waves, and he was also checking out my truck. With any luck he went home and starting building a Ram on the website :LOL:

HemiDude

Reaction score
The 6.4 is just a bigger 5.7. Same reason you buy a 5.7 applies to the 6.4. Turbos have a place, but the SRT will definitely last longer and take more of a beating. And it will provide better fuel economy if you're working both engines beyond family duty (ie towing).
I agree with most of what you said here. The 6.4 in my Challenger SRT felt bulletproof, got great mpg when I wanted it to, and I would be the first in line if Ram had offered that in a DT. That said, the SRT 6.4 is not very similar to the 5.7, and is not the same as 6.4 in the 2500.

EDIT: My apologies to the members on this forum. I made my observation before I read the two-page train-wreck that followed. PLEASE don't respond to my post :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, after watching this thread last night (and seeing a similar brawl on the TRX forum), I actually looked up if it was a full moon. Seems like there just certain days that everyone feels like arguing.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, after watching this thread last night (and seeing a similar brawl on the TRX forum), I actually looked up if it was a full moon. Seems like there just certain days that everyone feels like arguing.
It’s egg prices- brings everyone together through grumpiness.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
FWIW I was towing that Bullett camper trailer with TRX out on a four-lane highway a few miles from town. I'm in the passing lane cruising, a Tundra came up beside me on my right. This caused a knee-jerk reaction to send it. Let's just say, I didn't see the Tundra anymore......(three times the weight).
Guna Send It.gif

Ramisgood

Reaction score
Here I was hoping the something big would be Ram honoring their warranty and replacing their faulty radios. Still don't understand how a manufacturer can get away with the crap Ram does. The reason we purchased our 2022 was because our 2018 3/4 ton has been great with no issues. Two radios and a one finger salute from Ram is what we have with no ability to get a reliable, working radio. I'm old enough to remember when radios were an option but what we have is a $50K POS headache maker.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here I was hoping the something big would be Ram honoring their warranty and replacing their faulty radios. Still don't understand how a manufacturer can get away with the crap Ram does. The reason we purchased our 2022 was because our 2018 3/4 ton has been great with no issues. Two radios and a one finger salute from Ram is what we have with no ability to get a reliable, working radio. I'm old enough to remember when radios were an option but what we have is a $50K POS headache maker.
Could always try to "downgrade" to an older UC4 radio from a 19-21 truck. I agree they needed to do more testing on the UC5 before releasing it

Ramisgood

Reaction score
Could always try to "downgrade" to an older UC4 radio from a 19-21 truck. I agree they needed to do more testing on the UC5 before releasing it
That I did and was told that the Connect 4 will not interface with my truck and there were none available. I have been told many things by the dealerships that I know are incorrect. Truth is another thing you can't get at the dealerships.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I don’t think the dealership was intentionally lying to you on that comment. I’m not aware of any dealerships that will move you backwards with a system. Downgrading to UC four is something you would have to do on your own or at an independent shop.

GMetal

Reaction score
All manufactures have problems. FCA sold to Stellantis at the introduction of this model truck. Wonder how that affected the truck component manufacturing.

6of36

Reaction score
Read my words. It's not a SRT Grand Wagoneer. Wasn't designed to be a SRT. If it was, it would t have the same tow rating. The SRT Durango with the 6.4l has the same tow rating as a 5.7l Dursngo. You don't buy SRT vehicles for towing so not sure why it's even a debate over it.
The towing capacity on the Durango has nothing to do with engine. Brakes determine the towing capacity. It's stopping the load. 5.7 with standard brakes 7,200lbs. Towing capacity with 6.2 or 5.7 w/Brembo brakes 8,700lbs.

silver billet

Reaction score
The towing capacity on the Durango has nothing to do with engine. Brakes determine the towing capacity. It's stopping the load. 5.7 with standard brakes 7,200lbs. Towing capacity with 6.2 or 5.7 w/Brembo brakes 8,700lbs.

Also the Durango could be limited by the platform, there is only so much you can drag behind a small/er unibody compared to full size truck so at some point the engine power is no longer the limiting factor, the rest of the truck is.

6of36

Reaction score
Also the Durango could be limited by the platform, there is only so much you can drag behind a small/er unibody compared to full size truck so at some point the engine power is no longer the limiting factor, the rest of the truck is.
The platform definitely matters, the frame and suspension only allow so much. But in the case of the Durango, the brakes make the difference, not the engine. Both engines tow the same with upgraded brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread